Poll

I can't get no Map-isfaction..!

I'm satisfied with the current selection of maps
I'm moderately satisfied with the current selection of maps
I 'm not satisfied with the current selection of maps and I wish to make my voice heard in this thread!
Maps are horrible, add more maps that cater to my class!
Maps are horrible, I hate you

Author Topic: [Feedback] Maps on official servers  (Read 44889 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: [Feedback] Maps on official servers
« Reply #465 on: December 26, 2012, 04:02:59 pm »
Cazawa Keep on Siege rotation has been making people GTX from the server constantly for it's overall composition. Terrible design, moonwalking bugs, takes more than a minute to an attacker reach the flag (and die), etc.

The map lacks everything that makes a siege map enjoyable, and should be removed asap.
Just figured I'd point out that with the gate open and the ladders down the flag should've been reachable within 30-40 seconds unless your char is a full plate 0ath, map was unbalanced as hell though.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1357
  • Infamy: 1522
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 27, 2012, 02:17:56 pm »
+1
I'm sure that after reading this, he will be very motivated to learn more about level making. You have a talent for giving construction criticism; should probably start a professional career in that area.

You are right, that was bad attitude from my side. But I'm just a player and one of those who don't mind playing same maps over and over again. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when some bad map ruins my game experience. And people like ICEMAN are responsible for that. So, even if he worked hard on those maps (while I haven't), I don't appreciate his work and would rather see him stop doing it.

You can hate me for saying this, but map makers ruined my fun more times they made it richer. I'll rather see less but  high quality maps in the cycle than ton of shit maps we're supposed to test.

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 27, 2012, 05:25:43 pm »
The ladders in Small_Village_ATS are horribly broken, the double ladders kill people who fall in between them.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 29, 2012, 05:39:25 am »
+1
You are right, that was bad attitude from my side. But I'm just a player and one of those who don't mind playing same maps over and over again. That doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when some bad map ruins my game experience. And people like ICEMAN are responsible for that. So, even if he worked hard on those maps (while I haven't), I don't appreciate his work and would rather see him stop doing it.

You can hate me for saying this, but map makers ruined my fun more times they made it richer. I'll rather see less but  high quality maps in the cycle than ton of shit maps we're supposed to test.

It works like this: You notice problems in a map, you report them, the map maker learns from his mistakes and makes better maps in the future. Maybe he can even fix the problems in the current map, but if the basic layout is flawed, maybe the map will be removed and a next, better map will be hosted for new feedback.

Also, no potential map maker will decide to invest his time making maps for a community that doesn't provide feedback on released maps other than "this is shit, remove it".
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 29, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »
Also, no potential map maker will decide to invest his time making maps for a community that doesn't provide feedback on released maps other than "this is shit, remove it".
Yeah, however, Leshma sorta just stated that no map makers making maps is what he'd prefer.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #470 on: December 29, 2012, 11:17:05 pm »
Two things...

1 - the map makers do need better feedback, and the map devs need more control so they can get new maps up on the servers/updates up to the servers.

2 - as a map maker myself i think that the map devs or some committee needs to "approve" maps before they go into rotation for x months.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 11:21:28 pm by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #471 on: December 30, 2012, 02:11:44 am »
2 - as a map maker myself i think that the map devs or some committee needs to "approve" maps before they go into rotation for x months.

How do you think maps get 'approved'? Dice throwing? Maps get approved by me and or Mustikki. Sometimes we even ask people for a second opinion.
There will never be a committee, or voting or anything resembling a democracy for normal maps that are submitted by users. That's reserved for our arbitrary and cruel judgement.
Monkeys!

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #472 on: December 30, 2012, 04:19:59 am »
oh, i didn't know there was even that step...that's good to know.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #473 on: January 05, 2013, 07:30:23 pm »
Horis hold on siege needs to be removed imo, it's the underground one with all the doors. It's far too cramped for 80 players and spending most of your time hacking down doors or just waiting for the huge stream of players to file through those doors just isn't any fun. Underground/indoor maps just don't work very well on siege.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #474 on: January 05, 2013, 10:15:02 pm »
+1
Map: Anor Stronghold

Attackers simply put a siege equipement there, to get up and to the flag. I'm not sure and rather doubt that it is meant like that?

(click to show/hide)
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:31 am »
Serindiar c allows for a shitload of roofcamping, please fix all the roofs/remove it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1974
  • Infamy: 1461
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
+1
Spawned inside the castle, right next the gatehouse as attacker. What kind of sorcery is that?

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Map: Port Assault. I lagged in that bug... couldnt get out.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2013, 07:29:52 pm »
Ruins is bugged, there is a tiny spot you can get stuck, inbetween a small pile of like three cubes of rubble and the hole in a broken wall, it's on the side of the ruins with the village. with the village.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #479 on: January 13, 2013, 11:20:24 pm »
+2
I'm not sure if getting stuck in super obscure places is that big of a problem.  Probably not worth worrying about.

Crossposting from the Boring Maps general thread: look at the native battle maps, then look at native village.  Native village maps are just meant to add variety to the singleplayer game.  They are maps made by the dozens by M&B staff.  All feature a non-terraformed random terrain, most with huge cliffs (which shouldn't be able to be scaled when they are 70 degree sheer cliff faces) and a smattering of houses.
(There are a few really, really good native village maps...dhibbain is a good one, for instance)

Compare the shitty village maps with native BATTLE maps.  Pretty much all of them are on the server, classics like Ruins, Farm By The River, Battle On Ice, Arena, etc.  I'm sure that EVERYONE prefers those maps to Rydjef c where half of the terrain is cliffs and the gameplay slows to a crawl for the duration, with lots of stupid looking cliff battles that aren't realistic at all.

It's unrewarding to make my great maps best in crpg (Pitfalls, Tropical, Glacier Valley) because they are played just as frequently as the 100 shitty village maps which swamp the maplist.  Amazing balanced maps like Battle Of The Mounds, Field Battle, or Dunes are buried in a sea of shitty village maps.

SUMMARY:::

There needs to be incentive to make good maps (gold, loom pts from chadz) and better maps should be played more frequently in rotation than Random_Village_Map_83

One more tidbit:: No one is going to get their feelings hurt when a native village map is removed.