Poll

I can't get no Map-isfaction..!

I'm satisfied with the current selection of maps
I'm moderately satisfied with the current selection of maps
I 'm not satisfied with the current selection of maps and I wish to make my voice heard in this thread!
Maps are horrible, add more maps that cater to my class!
Maps are horrible, I hate you

Author Topic: [Feedback] Maps on official servers  (Read 44420 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
Re: [Feedback] Maps on official servers
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2012, 06:35:37 pm »
+1
Don't think this is true but it might happens, however it will not occur every single day and since i play more than you i notice that almost 60% are infantry players

I counted it a couple of times by myself, so yes it is true. And it happens more than I would like to see it happen because it makes playing on battle really annoying

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:27 pm »
There are currently:

20 0pen style maps (including all ruin maps such as 'Field by the river'.
20 village type maps
6 city maps.

8 Of these maps are 'Native' maps (that's including one random plains).

I'd like there to be about 10 city maps, but there simply are no good ones out there. What I'd also like is more custom village maps (that's actually made for multiplayer).

Monkeys!

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:43 am »
What do you think about adding the native Arena map? Almost everyone I know loves that map.
It can get abit hectic with alot of players but thats part of the fun I think.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:43 am »
+1
I still miss Commercial City!

I would prefer Arena (Native) over ATS_Street_Riot.

Should really just open up the ed though, my new layout is done.

I've updated my BATTLE MAPPERS COMMANDMENTS:

1.  Avoid uber-campable positions that are too-easily guarded.

A good example of 1 (and 3) is Winter Village (Native).  XP Barn is by one team's spawn, has one entrance, shields all interior players from ranged, and makes for very dull games when the tactic is used...flags will NEVER spawn in 100+ playercounts in an XP barn camp.  1 is also very typical of Random Steppe maps, as there are no other forms of cover and all infantry flock to the highest hill for the entire round.

Campable positions shouldn't be undefeatable.  The more valuable a camp position is, the further away from spawns it should be.

2.  Use multiple routes, avoid dead-ends as a rule of thumb.

Seriously.  Lots of props and models, unfortunately, have one entrance.  These campable dead-ends should usually be barricaded off with stuff that makes it obvious (doors, gates, not just a random wheelbarrow or cart)

3.  Steep hills should be inaccessible.

Steep hills (over 50ish degree incline) are unrealistic to fight on.  M&B's engine lets characters walk up 89 degree cliffs, unfortunately, so it's up to us mappers to prevent that from happening.

4.  Unbalanced spawns

Unbalanced spawns occur when one spawn is near campable areas and one team is not.

5.  Keep action away from invisible walls, and make invisible walls obvious.

Invisible walls should be in places it is obvious the players shouldn't be able to go.  Have you ever ran in to an invisible wall on Glacier Valley and thought, "WTF INVISIBLE WALL, GAY"?  Probably not.  Many, many maps include scenery and cover directly next to the automatic map borders.  I personally fucking HATE those borders, as unmounted horses vanish when they touch them, many times in front of your eyes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:38:05 am by obitus »

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:58 am »
Hrafninn Castle SIEGE map is boring as hell

Its basically a 'hill defense' map without a hill.  Takes 2 minutes to get to flag unopposed.  Map was already HARD as hell to win for offense when we had siege ladders, now its basically lucky if offense wins 10% of time.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:27 am »
What I'd also like is more custom village maps (that's actually made for multiplayer).

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jacko

• Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:04 am »
+1
Lol no DTV maps are not suitable for regular multiplayer. QMD/U does nothing. Even if it did the stats would not be meaningful (I've already explained this somewhere else a month or so ago). Good city maps have there place in cRPG. I will probably add commercial city into the rotation again, it is open enough to let anyone play on it.
Monkeys!

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »
Stonehammer seems to be really unbalanced.

I've never seen attackers win there yet. Ways are too long and flag is up a hill that slows people down really hard :/

Offline Mustikki

• Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2012, 04:45:54 pm »
+1
No more city maps please, CAV can only bump their own team mates in there and many players already down vote those maps.

I don't know how you play, but here is a pic from yesterday i played a bit with my alt.
After 2 rounds.
(click to show/hide)
It's bs saying that cav can't play on city maps. They can be just as op as anywhere if played correctly.

And most people actually likes the city maps (and nobody cares what HA's/HC's/GK's feel like), as they give a totally different playing grounds than open maps.
We would just need more city maps created, so the pearls could be choosed for rotation.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:02:40 pm by Mustikki »

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2012, 06:02:05 pm »

Thats why I play on NA server instead of EU and play siege, since in siege maps it gives me enough space to ride around, on those city maps the valley is too small and i will lose my x5 in there :D

Edit: Also on one of the siege map it is very unbalance. Something with Motte and Bialey 1 is insane. Attackers are extremely close to defenders and they can come inside to the castle in less than 15 seconds.  The defenders spawn sucks really hard because the flag is at top that means the defenders will have to walk all the way back to the flag. (It's impossible to do so because once you spawn you will get instant-spawn rape by attackers. The defenders spawn next to the gate, and the attackers spawn are just behind the gate. Fail map is fail. Attackers has too much advantage on this map.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:13:24 pm by AlexTheDragon »

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »
Mustikki's city maps are all much more cav-friendly and force conflict more than something like Nord Village (Native), with its huge cavalry-inaccessible single-entry dead end campzones.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:08:33 pm by obitus »

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:00 am »

Edit: Also on one of the siege map it is very unbalance. Something with Motte and Bialey 1 is insane. Attackers are extremely close to defenders and they can come inside to the castle in less than 15 seconds.  The defenders spawn sucks really hard because the flag is at top that means the defenders will have to walk all the way back to the flag. (It's impossible to do so because once you spawn you will get instant-spawn rape by attackers. The defenders spawn next to the gate, and the attackers spawn are just behind the gate. Fail map is fail. Attackers has too much advantage on this map.

Actually Motte and Bailey 1 is fine. I played it a couple of times, saw attackers and defenders win. Sadly it's no real siege as it ends in a clusterfight after 30 seconds. Still some variety among the maps.

Motte and Bailey 2 is unbalanced cause attackers have no ladders, no backdoor, but have to destroy 2 gates on their way up. Never saw attackers win unless a defender opened the gate

Offline Seabhac

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mt. Seabass
    • View Profile
    • Snowhawk Clan
  • Faction: Cimmeria
  • Game nicks: SHC_SEABHAC
« Reply #177 on: March 20, 2012, 08:54:56 am »
Stonehammer seems to be really unbalanced.

I've never seen attackers win there yet. Ways are too long and flag is up a hill that slows people down really hard :/

Working on an update for the map at the moment, changes will include a more nuetral flag position.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:57:19 am by Seabhac »
http://www.SnowhawkClan.org
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bjarky

• Earl
  • Renown: 352
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • U got gold? I bring tea, silk, hemp, camels +more!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Leadership member)
  • Game nicks: Guard_BD_Bjarky, Guard_the_Lederhosen
  • IRC nick: bjarky
« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »
Inch Tuth on eu_2 is very unbalanced, almost every time its on, defenders will win, since there's no deployable ladders anymore.
the problem with the map is that the chockepoint in the middle makes it very hard to reach flag, maybe trying to widen it will restore more balance.

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 20, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »
Working on an update for the map at the moment, changes will include a more nuetral flag position.

Good to hear :)