Poll

I can't get no Map-isfaction..!

I'm satisfied with the current selection of maps
I'm moderately satisfied with the current selection of maps
I 'm not satisfied with the current selection of maps and I wish to make my voice heard in this thread!
Maps are horrible, add more maps that cater to my class!
Maps are horrible, I hate you

Author Topic: [Feedback] Maps on official servers  (Read 47361 times)

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
Re: [Feedback] Maps on official servers
« Reply #150 on: March 16, 2012, 01:48:15 am »
Glacier Valley hosted on NA1 is back to the old version; dunno if this was intended.  Playing it again is kinda fun.  It's not necessarily better or worse, just a lot different due to spawn change.

I'd vote for both versions in rotation once for more variety, instead of hosting v2 twice, but this may confuse people
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:53:26 am by obitus »

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems
  • Game nicks: Renovatio
« Reply #151 on: March 16, 2012, 06:29:46 am »
Heres your english lesson for the day, since english is clearly isnt your native language.  Sorry but asymmetrical design does not work when its 80/20 loppsided in favor of one side.

stupid
[stoo-pid, styoo‐]   Origin
stu·pid

 [stoo-pid, styoo‐] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est, noun
adjective
1.  lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull.
2.  characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question.
3.  tediously dull, especially due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless: a stupid party.
4.  annoying or irritating; troublesome: Turn off that stupid radio.
5.  in a state of stupor; stupefied: stupid from fatigue.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bravesquirrel

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -[420]-
« Reply #152 on: March 17, 2012, 02:02:39 am »
A map can not be stupid, only people can. It is stupid to complain a map, without leaving any suggestions/opinions how to fix the map.
The map (Mountain Warfare) looks really good and have nice idea behind it. But sure the map could have some tweaking.
Moving the upper spawn a bit lower or making the lower way more profitable, could be enough to balance the map. Also blocking the back/roof at the buildings could move the fight to a more appropriate and balanced place.

I posted about that map in this thread and Vagabonds and didn't get a response to suggestions/opinions.

Offline bravesquirrel

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 17, 2012, 02:21:08 am »
The way I see it there are a few features to avoid that can make any map bad.

1.  Uber-campable positions with too-easily guarded entry points.
2.  Steep hills.
3.  Unbalanced spawns

This post basically describes Mountain Warfare.

The spawns have to be fixed, at least, for it to be playable.  I really wish that the engine didn't let people walk up cliffs, as well.

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:53 am »
+1
i fixed the spawn points already and i answered u btw.
you have not much experience in mapping so after this post i refuse talking to you. cuz u always come with same shit.
spawn are definately not uber campable atm. steep hills?! wtf its a mountain map and i tryed to make smth different. tell me another map like this. ye random plains with big hills maybe but they are shit in my opinion. so now genius explain me how to avoid steep hills in a mountain map...

will update it soon.

also yesterday i played it the lower team won 4-0
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:06:27 am by Vagabond »

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #155 on: March 17, 2012, 04:57:41 pm »
+1
Which server are you talking about?  battleserver is mainly cavrape currently and siegeservers were always for infantry^^

(click to show/hide)

Offline bravesquirrel

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 17, 2012, 06:31:37 pm »
i fixed the spawn points already and i answered u btw.
you have not much experience in mapping so after this post i refuse talking to you. cuz u always come with same shit.
spawn are definately not uber campable atm. steep hills?! wtf its a mountain map and i tryed to make smth different. tell me another map like this. ye random plains with big hills maybe but they are shit in my opinion. so now genius explain me how to avoid steep hills in a mountain map...

will update it soon.

also yesterday i played it the lower team won 4-0

No, you didn't respond to the post I made in your thread.  I posted here saying it was terrible with little feedback because I didn't know where it came from.  Once you said it was yours I responded politely in your thread with more detail and more suggestions and told you we could discuss further in your thread (which you didn't and you're now refusing to do).

Don't get so butthurt, people giving you criticism is part of mapping and it's how you and your maps get better.  You're making a map for hundreds of other people who are going to be forced to play it or not play for 20 minutes at a time.  I'm clearly not the only one who agrees.  Why be an asshole to the few people who care enough to give you actual feedback?

The answer to your steep hills question is you don't make a map for the general battle servers that has them because people will abuse them.  I'm sorry the limitations of the engine limit what you can do, but that doesn't mean you can't be creative.  It sucks on the battle servers when 10 people can decide to hang out on the side of a cliff moving 10 units vertically with every horizontal unit because of the stupid game.  It's not your maps fault that this happens, but it's your maps fault for including them and I don't think a map that features them prominently should be on the general server.  This thread is for that kind of feedback.  If people aren't honest about what makes things bad we will end up with tons of shitty maps to pander to peoples' feelings.  It's not your or my choice to use them or not, I'm just giving my opinion which this thread solicits.  If this map is going to be on there anyway, that's fine, but the spawns still need to be fixed.

Instead of sticking your fingers in your ear like a child you could post the changes you made and ask for feedback.  I'd be glad if you fixed the spawns; that was the main problem.  I haven't posted anything hostile or impolite other than saying it was "terrible" so quit talking shit and making ad hominem attacks.  It's nothing personal.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:35:59 pm by bravesquirrel »

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 17, 2012, 06:49:14 pm »
i ahve nothing againt feedback but i want some feedback with brain

Offline bravesquirrel

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 17, 2012, 07:50:58 pm »
+1
i ahve nothing againt feedback but i want some feedback with brain

This quote is pure gold.

i wnat post wit brain

I gave you intelligent criticism in your thread, even with compliments!  You're just too whiny about people not liking your map to listen to it.  And this bullshit is why I took the convo to your thread in the first place; so this thread wouldn't filled with it and we could discuss the legitimate problems with your map.  You have no interest in that, though, so I'll just leave my opinion at this: the map as it is sucks and should be removed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:54:59 pm by bravesquirrel »

Offline Muunilinst

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2012, 08:23:01 pm »
u finish with ur rage ..?  :mrgreen:

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
« Reply #160 on: March 17, 2012, 09:06:03 pm »
Alex, when you join EU1 and out of 100 people there are (yes it happened quite often during the last weeks) 40 people of the whole 100 on a horse, it is cavrape in my opinion :/

Btw Jacko, Motte and Bailey 2 is totally unbalanced. No chance for attackers with 2 gates to break and no backdoors or similar. Please do something or take it out of the rotation

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2862
  • Infamy: 843
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 17, 2012, 09:58:19 pm »
Jacko, can you explain us why we were playing new maps and nothing but new maps on EU1 for more than a month and recently switched to native maps?

Can you mix them together? There are some good new maps, just like there are some horrible native maps (XP barn map for example?

Offline bravesquirrel

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 17, 2012, 10:18:42 pm »
XP barn map for example?

Why you hatin' on the XP barn? :P

I think there's at least 2 with an XP barn and one is particularly bad.

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #163 on: March 17, 2012, 11:46:42 pm »
40 people of the whole 100 on a horse

Don't think this is true but it might happens, however it will not occur every single day and since i play more than you i notice that almost 60% are infantry players

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2012, 02:54:19 am »
Winter Village (Native) has the particularly bad XP barn (it is directly by one team's spawn)

Winter Hamlet has a barn but it isn't abused very much as it is far away from both spawns

River Village has a barn with a door in the map center, but it isn't abused because the adjacent tower is a much better camp spot