Author Topic: Crush-Through on Bar Mace and Long Iron Mace  (Read 20410 times)

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
Crush-Through on Bar Mace and Long Iron Mace
« on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:32 pm »
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU ARE TOTALLY AGAINST CRUSH-THROUGH IN ANY FORM, PLEASE DO NOT LITTER THIS THREAD WITH YOUR COMMENTS. THERE ARE PLENTY OF THREADS THAT ARE APPROPRIATE FOR CRUSH-HATE. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

I have now heard from several posts that "the devs have confirmed that the bar mace and long iron mace are losing their crush-through in an upcoming patch."

Can a developer confirm this, or can anyone link to a post in which a developer confirms it?

If this is, in fact, the case, several things should be addressed.

First, taking crush-through away from a weapon that has it fundamentally changes the way that weapon works. The weapons speed/reach/damage/cost should be scrutinized to ensure that this loss does not make the weapon an invalid or inefficient choice.

Secondly, heirlooms take a significant amount of time to get. People heirloom items based on many things, but most of all based on the items stats and abilities. If you fundamentally change the way an item works, people who heirloomed those items should have those heirlooms refunded. (Before anyone says "they abused the heirloom/crush-through mechanic, let them suffer", understand that SOME people may have heirloomed before such mechanics were even known to be the case.)

Last, I would like to address the core issue here. The increase in damage and WEIGHT in particular with heirlooming is what I understand to be the problem, which results in these weapons crushing through with a regularity that was never intended. Why take away a core function of the item, rather than re-balance the heirlooms to ensure that they don't get 90% crush-through? It makes sense to me that you'd simply re-balance something to not be OP, rather than fundamentally alter the way the item works. But perhaps I'm missing something? Feel free to enlighten me.

DISCLAIMER: IF YOU ARE TOTALLY AGAINST CRUSH-THROUGH IN ANY FORM, PLEASE DO NOT LITTER THIS THREAD WITH YOUR COMMENTS. THERE ARE PLENTY OF THREADS THAT ARE APPROPRIATE FOR CRUSH-HATE. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Crush-Through on Bar Mace and Long Iron Mace
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:06 pm »
Several devs have said that barmace and long iron mace are losing crushthrough - look through cmpx's and/or fasader's latest posts.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 08:14:14 pm »
True story. The only bar maces that crush through reliably are heirloomed ones which increase the weight. If you changed their heirloom progression that would go away.
Maybe just change their progression to the masterwork line? Idk.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:18:06 pm »
True story. The only bar maces that crush through reliably are heirloomed ones which increase the weight. If you changed their heirloom progression that would go away.

Right, this is my point. Also, I don't use a bar mace on any of my characters, FYI.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »
First of all, I think that nerfing the Morningstar made it a useless wep by removing crushtrough.

Secondly, only full strength character with at least 11 powerstrike reliably crush trough with heirloomed crustrough weapons!.

I really hope they don't remove it from cRPG, but just nerf it so that only strength based builds and heirloomed weapons can have a good chance of doing it.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Zanthos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: White Company
  • Game nicks: Zanthos_WCo
  • IRC nick: Zanthos
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:26:12 pm »
First of all, I think that nerfing the Morningstar made it a useless wep by removing crushtrough.

I beg to differ.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:24:45 pm »
Not this again. Personally i think the argument has been discussed far too many times, and there are other more important issues like server lag, throwing imbalance and some weird hitboxes which disrupt the game experience way more and need to be addressed. I don't want the devs to think the main problem currently is crushtrough. If they remove ct from the entire mod just because a few peasants with small shields whine, just uninstall. It's what i would do, no whine no posts, nothing, they're free to patch as they please, if it makes the game unfun for me i am in turn free to leave.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »
Do you always give up this easily, Ganon?

Anyway, I also think that rebalancing the longer CT weapons would be enough, without removing their crush-through flag entirely. Maybe CT maxchance should be below 50% no matter what. I never used a CT weapon yet, btw.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Elmetiacos

• Count
  • Renown: 175
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
  • You've probably teamkilled me
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Hot_Chick_with_a_Sword, Dark_Rose_Knight
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:52:42 pm »
If they can't crushthrough, are they getting more damage as a compensation, so that people who have chosen to heirloom these weapons aren't just getting a Nelson from The Simpsons style "HAH HAH!"
The word is "anyway" not "anyways". You are not Gabby Hayes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:45 pm »
I beg to differ.
There are much better weapons out there, morningstar was only useful as cav in the past or as crush trough weapon.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline balbaroth

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »
Not this again. Personally i think the argument has been discussed far too many times, and there are other more important issues like server lag, throwing imbalance and some weird hitboxes which disrupt the game experience way more and need to be addressed. I don't want the devs to think the main problem currently is crushtrough. If they remove ct from the entire mod just because a few peasants with small shields whine, just uninstall. It's what i would do, no whine no posts, nothing, they're free to patch as they please, if it makes the game unfun for me i am in turn free to leave.

why people think its only shielders that are fed up with that op crushthru ,  everyone shield or not cannot block a overhead  crushthru  , i support the 50% max crushthru , its all about balance.... a superior fighter have a obvious advantage using a 100% go thru crush overhead , 
1-block
2-overhead
3-profit

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 11:45:48 pm »
Even 50% seems high. Item balance should encourage skill, not spamming (hate using that word, but it fits here) a single attack. Even if you block crush 50% of the time, there is no reason to use any other form of attack with long and fast weapons like these.

I think a reasonable 25% chance on a strength build character is a better figure to work with. The block-crush gives the weapon an edge over non CB weapons, but a CB weapon wielder still needs to practice strategic tactics like feinting.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Zanthos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: White Company
  • Game nicks: Zanthos_WCo
  • IRC nick: Zanthos
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 11:54:53 pm »
There are much better weapons out there, morningstar was only useful as cav in the past or as crush trough weapon.

I'm pretty sure the 1 hit capability of 45 pierce against heavy armor makes it quite useful enough as it is. This, plus it breaks shields quickly... I'm finding it to be quite capable and far from useless. Feel free to ask anyone who gets hit by it.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 11:55:41 pm »
If they remove ct from the entire mod just because a few peasants with small shields whine,

Sorry, I use either a 2her, or polearm depending on my character.  No shield.  Crush through is bullshit.  It crushes through my chamber blocks, and THAT is completely retarded.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:17:20 am »
Lower the weight to 4 and change the heirlooms so they don't add more weight, but give them something else instead. Done without rendering them useless.
They won't be crushing through often at all then, and would only crush through for steroid users sometimes.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 01:22:57 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.