Poll

Do horses need a buff?

Yes
93 (45.1%)
No
113 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Author Topic: Calvary needs a buff.  (Read 13410 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Calvary needs a buff.
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 07:57:03 pm »
Sounds like you have a character build issue tbh.
Cav are no less capable on foot as they are on a horse.
Yep. Oberyn for example does just fine on foot.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:32 pm »
Lol. I dehorse cavalry all the time, but only noobs and those who think I don't know they're coming. My awareness is just fine.

You fail at cavalry if you let your horse be stabbed with your long reach.

So true. Only noobs have problem on their horses, if they do, they need learn to play.

Cav is most powerfull class in cRPG, if they need anything it's called nerf.

Nerf to maneuver, nerf to speed, nerf to lances (way less damage, or overall soak and reduction need adjustment, or character development - like limiting people to 25. lvl). There is anyway far too much cavalry roaming around.

Most important: IF YOU FAIL AT CAV CHANGE CLASS.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »
Being a light cavalry player myself I can't really give an opinion on armoured horses.

Unarmoured horses however are perfectly balanced imo.
About the costs; My heavy courser costs 28700 and I have no problem to afford it. My equipment worth ranges between 40k-60k.

"How much Gold do you have?"
Seems like you want all players to earn the same amount of gold no matter what they have equipped, which makes no sense at all.
Some builds simply can't be used every round. And that was the purpose of the implemented upkeep cost...

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 08:37:11 pm »
a rough stemation allows you to support 20k of equipment per multiplier (a little more), i.e. if you have x1, you can wear armor worth 20k without losing or gaining gold (in the long run), if you ahve x2, you can afford 40k equipment and so on.

Offline Garrus

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Imperial Potato Peeler
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Vakarian, GK_Garrus, Puncinella, GK_DrZoidberg
  • IRC nick: Garrus
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 08:40:11 pm »
I have Riding 4, and I'm riding a Heavy Destrier, carrying a Heavy Lance and a Longsword, with level2 shield, wearing mostly mid-high gear.
Remark:Secondary, I have a cheap-to-upkeep Sumpter Horse to go to the battle from spawn in a comfortable, lazy way, when I wanna fight unmounted.
When I've entered the battle, I get off and leave my pony to others. (I suggest this, cause it raises your honour:) a Knight should not walk on foot:))

I suggest to increase horse's armor dramatically, so it can be killed only with direct attacks, not with random hatchet hits.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:41:15 pm by Garrus »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:12 pm »
Cav player's input: Sarranids, Coursers, Destriers need to be cheaper still. Unarmored horses were never the problem, and didn't need to be made so difficult to field.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:51:57 pm by Engine »

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 09:52:24 pm »
Cav player's input: Sarranids, Coursers, Destriers need to be cheaper still. Unarmored horses were never the problem, so why penalize us so badly?

They always were serious problem, they are great choices for competent cavalry players as they offer great speed and manouver that allow you to kill all players except those with pikes.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Kay of Sauvage

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »
I almost always use cav, even on some rather tight maps. I mainly use Rouncey, Steppe, and Courser, and occasionally use the Destrier or Cataphract. My current build is mainly polearm, with a bit of throwing (which I usually only take some war darts when I play as infantry).

The damage from melee weapons against cav is fine. I can make it hard for anyone to hit my horse with melee weapons. I have the speed and maneuver to be able to choose my fights, so melee damage is mostly avoidable. I don't need the horse to be a tank that can plow through enemy territory without much risk of being cut down. I'm happy to fight on the edges of the enemy. It just requires a little more self-control, caution.

I haven't had much of a problem versus throwers either. Throwers can be avoided fairly easily as cav on most maps. You don't need to be too far away before you're out of their accurate ranges. You can just about dodge their throws at 20 feet. So if I see a thrower who sees me as I'm running towards them, I can usually call off the charge and turn away. I'm fast, so I can leave and go find a more advantageous opportunity somewhere else on the battlefield. And I can come back later from a different angle and catch the thrower when he's not looking. Or I can even just prance around in view of the thrower to keep him distracted. You just need patience.

It's mostly only on really tight maps that I often find myself too close to throwers for too long. There is often only 1 way to approach the enemy group and no room in the narrow street or corridor to go past the group, so I'm left either trotting in a circle away from them, or dashing desperately through their line to attack, get to the other side, and make myself a hindrance for them to worry about in the rear. But this is just an issue with the map being unfavorable to cavalry.

Though I will say throwing lances/spears seem unbalanced, since they seem to take out any horse instantly no matter where on the horse they hit (followed by a 1-hit kill while the rider is on the ground). But since people are saying that throwing is getting a bit of a nerf soon, I suppose this might not be an issue for much longer.

Crossbows do a lot of damage to horses, but I'm fine with that. Their slow reload allows me to wait till they fire and then approach them before they can complete the reloading. I avoid charging a loaded crossbow that is aiming at me, since they can take down the horse with one properly placed shot. It's a lot like how I deal with throwers.

Bows are the biggest threat to horses. These are what force me to always be hiding at the beginning of the rounds, waiting for allied infantry to get in close to distract them. I could charge a single archer in the open that is aiming at me and be able to kill them if they don't dodge the attack, don't stun me as I attempt to attack, or aren't able to get a shot into the vital part of the horse. But taking on 2 or more archers in the open who aim at me during my approach is probably going to be the last charge I can complete, if it doesn't get me killed before that.

So basically, my cav strategy revolves around staying away from archer fire. On most maps, I can usually manage to find a place to fight that is blocked from archer view or is far enough from archers to make them miss a lot and not be so deadly. And there is often a way to approach archers quickly from an angle that is out of their view so that I can be close before they notice me. If they only are able to get 1 shot off before I can attack, that's a fair trade.

The biggest problem is on maps with hard-to-access platforms that archers can stand on and get a wide view of the battlefield. Sometimes it is walls/ramparts that overlook the field. Sometimes it's buildings or towers. Sometimes it's just a steep hill that either has no flat access point (for cav to approach from quickly) or is up against the boundaries of the map. These archers can hail down arrows without much worry of being caught out without support.

I don't know if I'd say that archers are unbalanced though. If archer spam is really bad on a particular map, I could pull out the cataphract, lose some money on upkeep, but at least be useful for a while. I can do that since I save money by using cheap weapons (crappy shield and war spear to go with my heavy lance) and a Rouncey on most maps. I can live with that.

But I definitely would say that horses don't need a nerf.  :wink:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:33:27 pm by Kay of Sauvage »

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »
hmm charge damage for heavy horses might be the only buff i could imagine...
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Engine

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »
They always were serious problem, they are great choices for competent cavalry players as they offer great speed and manouver that allow you to kill all players except those with pikes.
They weren't a problem balance-wise.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2011, 10:38:37 pm »
hmm charge damage for heavy horses might be the only buff i could imagine...
This, there is not much reason to hit anyone anymore. The damage you deal is minimal, just make sure that these elephant classes don't arise again.

The Sarranid horse needs a manouverabality nerf, it turns way too quick.

While the Large Warhorse should get a speed buff in relation to the Cataphract horse being the heavier one. The Cataphract has heavier armour, better charge stats, better speed, everything is just better. The Large Warhorse should be faster.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 12:58:59 am »
With regard to awareness v. Cavalry:  It would be nice if the sound of horses running was a better judge if cav are close are not.  As it is now, if there are cav on anywhere on medium size or smaller map it sounds like they are in my face.

Also, nerf throwing!

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2011, 01:22:43 am »
Yeah, better horse sounds would be better. Uhm...

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2011, 01:23:23 am »
For the over 9000th time..

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2011, 03:14:57 am »
CALAVARY!