Poll

Do horses need a buff?

Yes
93 (45.1%)
No
113 (54.9%)

Total Members Voted: 206

Author Topic: Calvary needs a buff.  (Read 13293 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Calvary needs a buff.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:48:13 pm »
Cavalry is already the most powerful thing in M&B.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 01:59:00 pm »
Courser 19,818 gold
Lance 3,374 gold
Horseman's Kite Shield 1,978 gold
Cavalry Robe 3,582 gold
In total: ~29 000 gold. Yep, gear for the horseman is so f*** expensive. Average equipment for 2hander costs more or less the same. And take a look at Ujin, Simon Templar, TomMyyY, they don't need tanks and black armour to have KD ratio ~10:1.

and once you are dismounted you are worthless as a peasant, and the courser can easily get onehitted by practically anything, so you have to play like a ninja-backstabber.
Yeah, that's what we all want.

My 2h character uses 27k equip and can get KD ratio ~10:1.
My cavalry character uses 25k equip and get's a KD ratio ~3:2. + he loses money because half of that cost is the horse at least.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 02:19:09 pm »
neither of you own anything warhorse and above. if thats by choice, more power to you. but the whole purpose of my suggestions is to at least make middle high warhorses affordable; that and they take at least 5 riding to ride.

I will back my first suggestion, A, to reduce the price of horses. please note, however, these are merely suggestions and are no way set in stone...

Option D is good if you have an idea to return horses to the battlefield again.

i believe there should at least be 10 horsemen for every 50, and 15 for every 100, on average. by reducing the price of the warhorse to an affordable 20438 (45% reduction), this would make higher tier horses easier to obtain, but still not easy fiscally. the warhorse is still the lowest armored horse in the selection, and most people are not willing to pay 20k and have 5 riding for a horse unless they ARE SOMEWHAT CALVARY CENTERED, which is what i think would work; appealing to the Knights and Calvaliers to charge again.

Nope, one of my horses is the large warhorse. I don't think they are insane anymore - without high bump damage and forcefield shield you can't just run over a group at impunity. Their higher survivability especially vs. arrows is great. I'm not really sure that is good enough reason to loose 10 speed and pay 1k more repairs than the courser, though, so a slight buff for them might be ok, but they certainly don't need to be available to everyone all the time (it isn't affordable for me, too - I just spend rounds as ninja or light cav to compensate gold loss, it doesn't kill me).

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 02:42:28 pm »
imo

light horses are good as they are now, heavy horses on the other hand could use a buff, as i dont think a player riding one will have better K:D than a player on light horse

and i would also love if player could only put skillpoints into riding or athletics not both, it would leave cav for dedicated cav players ;]

oh oh and a pike should be a dedicated anti-horse weapon, therefore its melee effectiveness should be decreased

there i said it

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 03:15:14 pm »
oh oh and a pike should be a dedicated anti-horse weapon, therefore its melee effectiveness should be decreased

there i said it

wtf, don't nerf pike's melee effectiveness. Pike is one of the greatest support/team play weapons, a pike user is easily killed once he's closed in on & alone, but with team mates he can keep the opponents back for fear of them being poked or prodded while trying to defend against the piker's allies.
What purpose would nerfing the pike serve, it's already one of the easiest weapons to counter with basically any class except Lancer Cav.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 03:16:53 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »
imo

light horses are good as they are now, heavy horses on the other hand could use a buff, as i dont think a player riding one will have better K:D than a player on light horse

and i would also love if player could only put skillpoints into riding or athletics not both, it would leave cav for dedicated cav players ;]

there i said it

No bloody way. I thought everyone's agreed that forced classes are not what we want in cRPG, hybrids are fine.

Offline Mustang_Sweets

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Avid rum drinker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Caldaria (Bridge Burners)
  • Game nicks: Stang_the_Swilling
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 03:30:25 pm »
They don't necessarily  need a buff what they need is less upkeep cause honestly i miss the days i would stand out in the open and hunt cav CRPG was a challenge a fun challenge now all i see is a cheese fest. The new patch works but i miss the flavor and playability of the old days. Cav, I miss you and feeding my dogs with your horses as i fix my armor with glue.
I wear armor to protect myself from team mates.

That's right I am the beast master. Now, prepare to be tamed bitches!

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 03:49:34 pm »
Cavalry is already the most powerful thing in M&B.

!!!

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 03:56:26 pm »
no buff,simple as that, im a horsemen and i find no problem with it, at all. i own a Sumpter Horse(i use it mostly for getting around costs about 200?). At a x1 and x2 i use a Palfrey(500 gold), which after reading your statement about how much it takes to kill horses i find its reverse for me, are you EU, people 1 shot mine with throwing weapons more often than arrows. luckily they are nerfing throwing i believe? at X3 and X4 i ride a Destrier(1300), its a little harder to kill and as long as i don't run right into the enemy it can survive a whole game easy(though suicide charges are fun). At x5 or when ever i feel up to it i ride my champion charger(2800), as it is I'm glad i can only bring him out at late games or when i have a x5. because he can take a beating, thats not to say he hasn't been one shot before, he has by a throwing axe to the head, a throwing lance, or a couch by a guy on a heir-loomed courser, do i get angry, a little, if i dont pay for him i don't care, thats he best part, i dont pay for him every round, i rode him around at X1 for a whole map never broke. as for the argument that cavalry suck once they lose their horse is only true for those with out a secondary weapon, any one can fight on foot, its really hard if you have only a heavy lance(or cant block). little tired, just woke up but the main point is i play cav, and do fine, only thing bugging me is throwing at the moment fix that n im happy

The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:58 pm »

wtf, don't nerf pike's melee effectiveness. Pike is one of the greatest support/team play weapons, a pike user is easily killed once he's closed in on & alone, but with team mates he can keep the opponents back for fear of them being poked or prodded while trying to defend against the piker's allies.
What purpose would nerfing the pike serve, it's already one of the easiest weapons to counter with basically any class except Lancer Cav.

calm down no one is nerfing it ;p its just my opionion about it, and as you said yes its one of the greatest support weapons that only cost 1500, also it works oddly in melee (hitting trought allies), and in 1on1 it depends on player skills if you can easily kill pike user or not

No bloody way. I thought everyone's agreed that forced classes are not what we want in cRPG, hybrids are fine.

yeah hybrids are ok, but i would love distinction between foot and mounted. i get your point it would ruin a lot of builds and bring less fun for those players but its my opinion on that matter and i know its not a popular view ;]

anyways im fine with things as they are now, just saying my biased cav player opinion

Offline Mustang_Sweets

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Avid rum drinker.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Companies of Caldaria (Bridge Burners)
  • Game nicks: Stang_the_Swilling
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 04:17:33 pm »
no buff,simple as that, im a horsemen and i find no problem with it, at all.
(click to show/hide)

I agree with tankman, I may not have ever played a cav, never really found a problem with them. I only found most of the ones who would only used their horse bump to get their kill the useless ones. The others I found annoying but I dealt with it because they played well and caused a challenge. Plus, when you do kill the dick cav who can't do much without the horse you feel good for putting them in their place. Like I said before I would like them to have less upkeep only because I miss seeing them on the field, roaming free like the buffalo.
I wear armor to protect myself from team mates.

That's right I am the beast master. Now, prepare to be tamed bitches!

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 05:00:39 pm »
i don't like any of these ideas - especially not the one about making horses cheaper. i could support higher healt for horses but only if they'd be made more expensive.

a horse always (with a very very few exceptions) gives you an advantage over footman. horsemen are elite class, especially those on more expensive horses - and only a few should be around - those that have money or skill or both.

btw throwing nerf that is probably on the way will boost horses.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 05:08:46 pm »
imo

fuck K:D, i'm absolutely sure my team benefits more when i ride around on charger than on destrier. aye i might not get 2 more kills i'd get on faster horse but i can survive on a charger a very long time sucking all the ranged shit enemy throws at me instead on footmen. their archers focus me and are not aware if they're shoot at by archers of my team. no to mention i'm often being hunted down by wolfpack of light horses that always prefer rather to hunt chargers down than to hit my teamates. aye and i can kill any archer from a charger without taking any serious damage (unless he puls out some melee weapon when i'm about to ride him down).
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 05:19:44 pm »
Horses don't need a buff. Throwing nerf is what we need.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 05:24:48 pm »
btw somebody said ingame that throwing is ok, the only problem is that everybody takes throwing weapon. i agree with that, its stupid you only need to spend 3-4 points into pt and get a very decent throwing weapon.

throwing is so cheap that if you make a hybrid with throwing, its not a hybrid but full melee build that has throwing as a good adition.