Poll

Should the polearm stun be removed from cRPG ?

yes
54 (49.5%)
yes, but it should stay for some specific polearms
35 (32.1%)
no
20 (18.3%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: November 04, 2011, 02:31:06 am

Author Topic: Remove the polearm stun in the next patch please.  (Read 40005 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Remove the polearm stun in the next patch please.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 06:12:55 pm »
+1
The instant thrusts barely deal any damage tho, sometimes they get a good hit but mostly it is a just a weak hit. I agree on polestun being a little unbalanced when it sometimes gives you a second free hit, but usually the second hit has to be a hilt slash, and those dont deal much damage, anyways dont remove the polestun but simply nerf it alittle. I'd like to keep it because it makes the polearms special, so you either choose Good animation or polestun. Also 2h weapons look alot cooler than polearms, so polearms being a little better than 2h is a fair trade for the looks ;)

The insta thrusts deal same damage as any other thrust, provided it doesn't glance. Its true strength is in letting you get off another hit. The hiltslash bit is nonsense, hiltslashes deal good damage.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »
good suggestion, remove polestun then remove half polearm weapons. Just another step to shining knight superiority.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 08:03:08 pm »
fine I'll make an irritating trick build.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »
+1
Well instant polethrusts take some time to lauch aswell, many people have the time to block it. Atleast what i have seen, and i blame the armoursoak system for the instant thrust hits. I like the soak system, but it has its cons aswell.
Polearms have a instant hit thrust, 2h have a everlasting thrust animation which deals damage to the very end of the animation.

This will probably be my last post in this topic because i am pretty much just repeating my self now :/ IMO the polestun should still remain but with a nerfed duration so that stunlocking is not possible.

(click to show/hide)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hippy_with_a_scimi

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Balbasaur
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Balbaroth since the dawn of times
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2011, 09:19:29 pm »
+1
Well instant polethrusts take some time to lauch aswell, many people have the time to block it. Atleast what i have seen, and i blame the armoursoak system for the instant thrust hits. I like the soak system, but it has its cons aswell.
Polearms have a instant hit thrust, 2h have a everlasting thrust animation which deals damage to the very end of the animation.

This will probably be my last post in this topic because i am pretty much just repeating my self now :/ IMO the polestun should still remain but with a nerfed duration so that stunlocking is not possible.

(click to show/hide)

polearm thrust is pure evil in the hands of a player with good footwork  , people turn around like ballerinas  and doing max speed bonus with instant hit boxes , as much as i dont like the 2h slowmo thrust , you can see it coming ,   

Watch karthofel murdering people with her awlpike  and see what i mean

Offline Snoozer

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Faction:Knights Hospitaller
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2011, 11:09:24 pm »
meh  nonsense.
It's possible for a monk with a staff to stunlock a knight in full plate, leaving him no chance to block. Much as I like doing it, it is fucking cheap.
i do that quite often with a qstaff but i think its mainly do to the speed of the q staff that makes it possible but you have to hit them like 10 times

polearm thrust is pure evil in the hands of a player with good footwork  , people turn around like ballerinas  and doing max speed bonus with instant hit boxes , as much as i dont like the 2h slowmo thrust , you can see it coming ,   

Watch karthofel murdering people with her awlpike  and see what i mean

i know potato, he is very good.from what i understand he is from another mod that's with bayonets so hes quite skilled with stab attacks

but 2h are WORSE they can do the same EXACT thing as poles but its waaaay longer damn  near non escapable and it pisses me off so bad and unlike poles if they miss they have a longer window to "re adjust" by moving their attack sideways and tapping you which somehow makes the attack do FULLLLLLLL damage (maybe cus i see it coming it makes me so mad :| )

so all in all both classes can abuse this(sometimes 1h but only when there REALLY in your face) but 2h are more crutch lol stab compared to poles(as in its more easy for 2h) which have to do ridiculous stupid spins in order to do it like 2h
Good Bye Lost Legion R.I.P Q_Q

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2011, 11:26:31 pm »
+1
Dont know why people cry about 2h stab all the time.
First it was to long and fast, then only to fast, now to slow and long.
If it will be short and slow people will still be crying. They would even cry if there only was the miaodao.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2011, 12:03:03 am »
What about this sensible solution.

First of all, reduce the polestun to what 1h/2h has now. THEN reduce 1h/2h so that it is a bit less than the polestun. I think it was 0.6 and 0.8? The new numbers would then be 0.5 and 0.6. Reasonable?

REMOVE polestun and give them the one the other has on MOST polearms. Basically leave it for any polearms that is being used with a shield These weapons have around 30% speed and damage reduction. These are the only weapons that makes sense in a gameplay way, to have a longer stun than others. You lose speed and damage (no way to stun-lock enemies by yourself) but gain reach and stun. I don't really see any reason for them not to have it.

About pikes/long spear/halberd/bill. I think these weapons should have it too, but not sure. If it was the current stun time and not the changed one I proposed, I say no, but with the new ones it might make sense.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2011, 12:25:55 am »
+1
How about just keeping the polestun on some weapons that would make sense to even have polestun, The spears might have a bit polestun, it would make a bit sense for a hoplite to have it for an example or maybe a pikeman too, but somebody with a long hafted blade that can hit faster than a 1her almost is just stupid.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2011, 12:30:23 am »
The thing about instant thrust is, to be frank, bullshit.

While the polearms can hit with force earlier in the animation, if you try a right-on instathrust it's gonna glance. Period.

However, it is possible to get of a very fast (read: not instant) stab by turning, but then that is true for the other types of weapons aswell. Although, admittedly, some 2h need a tad increase of their stab damage to reduce the amount of random glancing.

But this complaining about hiltslashing and the thrustglance-to-swing techniques is also bullshit imo; they're not that hard to counter and it's nice to have some things to break the "block-attack-block"-pattern.

Also: Again, NO weapons should have polestun. It's just silly.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2011, 12:39:49 am »
The thing about instant thrust is, to be frank, bullshit.

While the polearms can hit with force earlier in the animation, if you try a right-on instathrust it's gonna glance. Period.

However, it is possible to get of a very fast (read: not instant) stab by turning, but then that is true for the other types of weapons aswell. Although, admittedly, some 2h need a tad increase of their stab damage to reduce the amount of random glancing.

But this complaining about hiltslashing and the thrustglance-to-swing techniques is also bullshit imo; they're not that hard to counter and it's nice to have some things to break the "block-attack-block"-pattern.

Also: Again, NO weapons should have polestun. It's just silly.
Not even spear&shield? Explain...
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2011, 03:52:05 pm »
+1
Most.....retarded.....frustrating.....shit.........ever!

Now I wonder, did the Warband devs actually put this in as a feature or was it some unpleasant side effect?

If the former is the case, what where they thinking? Hey, let's implement that when a polearm hits someone his character spasms like a moron. So that you can sidestep and keep hitting and stunning him! That's so cool cause you can kill someone without him being able to do anything about it! It's obviously a realistic representation of some effect pole mounted weapons have on the human body.
Lets see if I recall this correctly from WB beta...

All testers agreed that spears (in 2H grip) sucked and the game engine could not represent this style of fighting. The problem was that the spear had only 1 viable attack and the swings were very weak. Increasing spear speeds or swing damage was not a good idea. The devs tried a few things, for example giving spears KD when hitting the legs, etc to represent swipes and tackles moves, but that did not work out. Eventually they went with the stun to give spears the opportunity to hit with a swing for low damage and reposition for a stab.

That was with SPEARS in mind and later slow long axes, not monstrous and fast poleaxes and Becs that we have in cRPG. It was not an ideal solution, but it helped 2H spears a bit - the problem is that it applies across the board to all polearms and I think that also to 1H-polarm.

Offline BlackCorsair_RS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2011, 03:57:27 pm »
Thanks in advance.

also remove plz crush through blocks to hammers
remove charged strike from lances
remove blocks and chambers
make same stats for all weapons

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2011, 04:03:46 pm »
+1
also remove plz crush through blocks to hammers
remove charged strike from lances
remove blocks and chambers
make same stats for all weapons
Don't be an idiot, remove yourself from this forum.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2011, 05:06:07 pm »
Lets see if I recall this correctly from WB beta...

All testers agreed that spears (in 2H grip) sucked and the game engine could not represent this style of fighting. The problem was that the spear had only 1 viable attack and the swings were very weak. Increasing spear speeds or swing damage was not a good idea. The devs tried a few things, for example giving spears KD when hitting the legs, etc to represent swipes and tackles moves, but that did not work out. Eventually they went with the stun to give spears the opportunity to hit with a swing for low damage and reposition for a stab.

That was with SPEARS in mind and later slow long axes, not monstrous and fast poleaxes and Becs that we have in cRPG. It was not an ideal solution, but it helped 2H spears a bit - the problem is that it applies across the board to all polearms and I think that also to 1H-polarm.

You do not recall correctly.
All testers did NOT agree.
And it wasn't spears needed help, it was Vaegir archers pulling out scimitars and owning Nords.
The justifications came later.
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog