Author Topic: Best 1h sword for cavalry  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
Re: Best 1h sword for cavalry
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:57:56 am »
Most people underestimate it's lengt, especially 1h/shielders. They come running up to you with an attack chambered and take a side swing before they even realized they got in range.

This is true, when i play with the Sarranid Cav Sword, you can surprise people that walk towards you with a chambered swing easily.

The main drawback is you can't spam it. I prefer using it on a mount but it's also good with heavy armor (you can't spam anyway in heavy armor, so the extra reach is nice).

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 03:25:06 pm »
Nordic Champion's Sword.

Agreed, I have mine heirloomed, as far as a nice general distribution of power, reach and speed it is perfect. Great on foot as a sword and board weapon too, even against heavy armor (just thrust or aim for the head)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 06:55:37 pm »
im probably the only one 1 hiting people with my 38 (soon 39) dmg military cleaver watching the other cavs with their toothpicks making multiple attacks to get down 1 peasant. nope just kidding, everybody prefers something else.

i'll give sarranid cavalry sword a try to see how much really the length matters. some chicks told me it really does, some that it doesnt...

btw before the patch i'd say morningstar was the ultimate 1h weapon from horse but with 31 lvl softcap i can't really reach enough powerstrike to crush reliably through blocks with it (except for the last 30-31 levels). but if nothing, morningstar is definitely the most stylish!
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Haru_Takeda

• Knight
  • Renown: 54
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
  • my glands are bigger than your glands.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: rottencrotchHaru, JesusHGHChrist, PowerGamingSpergLord, Palestinian_Takeda, Baby_Haru
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 10:21:19 am »
btw before the patch i'd say morningstar was the ultimate 1h weapon from horse but with 31 lvl softcap i can't really reach enough powerstrike to crush reliably through blocks with it (except for the last 30-31 levels). but if nothing, morningstar is definitely the most stylish!

The morningstar is not crushthrough anymore.  So.....you're dumb.

OP- I wouldnt worry much about speed if your a dedicated cav, 1 hit is all your are going to need since you're moving.  I would go with the cav sword or something with the highest damage to reach ratio.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:08:41 pm by Haru_Takeda »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline HoboJoe

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 05:08:45 pm »
What do you think is the best 1h sword to use with a shield as cavalry in terms of power, speed and reach? WHich weapon do you guys use? Plaese help me ;-)
Masterwork long dagger. Nuff said.
I am American, and therefore it is my business to meddle in other peoples affairs.

Offline Haru_Takeda

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rottencrotchHaru, JesusHGHChrist, PowerGamingSpergLord, Palestinian_Takeda, Baby_Haru
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:01 pm »
Whoops.  The your/you're is a common grammatical mistake I make.

But really, pointing out grammatical mistakes is an exercise in futility since this is the internet and we are all writing in the informal literary style.

This is neither a peer-reviewed document, nor an official paper that will be read by someone who will care about grammatical errors.
Next you're going to point out when anyone says "LOL" or makes any informal abbreviation.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:12:06 pm by Haru_Takeda »

Offline PikeDan

• Knight
  • Renown: 28
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro Fide, pro utilitate hominum
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Pikedan
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 06:24:54 am »
Sarranid Cavalry Sword all day every day. The extra speed of the Nordic Champion's Sword aside, the weapon's the better of the two, not to mention the length is more than enough to outrange several 2h weapons on foot for when you get knocked off your horse or are messing about at the dual server. The 95 speed is managable with enough WPF and the weapon just looks classy, best looking crossguard in the game, IMO.

Not to mention the pricepoint for it is rather nice.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 04:16:11 pm »
Thanks for your help so far guys, I've bought the sarranid cavalry sword. Because it's the longest. Dunno if it works yet, need more experience.

I was using the morningstar before the patch too, it was great to kill a tincan through his steelshield in one swing, if u were fast enough. :D

But the morningstar was for sure overpowered. Btw, there are still some good cav guys like Guard_Barca who are still using that weapon and it still works fine, but the crushthrough is gone -.-

Offline Haru_Takeda

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 03:49:14 am »
Yeah, a mounted crushthrough weapon was game-breaking in my opinion.  I am glad it was changed to shield breaking because it fixed the crushthrough nerf on the morningstar on foot as well.

Offline Croaker McGee

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • You can't spell 'Slaughter' without 'Laughter'.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Croaker_McGee_Jr_Astralis
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55:49 am »
When I bother riding my horse I usually bring my side sword with me.  I can normally get one-hit kills on light to medium armored opponents.  Of course, it's heirloomed so that may have something to do with it.

Offline Quirian

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Quirian_HRE
  • IRC nick: Quirian_HRE
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 06:04:30 am »
Side sword is too short in my opinion, but useable, I prefer more range (on horse and on foot).

Offline Z_E_N

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 08:16:33 am »
Sarranid Cavalry sword seems the way to go because of the range for sure.

As mentioned, often you can outrange people trying to hit you on the ground with their 2h.

Also not noted but noteworthy, in a cav vs. cav situation (where 1h has a disadvantage over lance usually), the sarranid cav sword can swing in front of the hitbox of the sarranid horse.  While this isn't useful in a jousting situation because you will always lose, in a situation where you "pin" a lancer somewhere you can swing anywhere along your horse and still hit.  I wasn't able to do this with the Nordic Champion sword.

On the ground, I use the sword in situations where someone is trying to outrange me (fighting against a 2h for example).  However I recently started using a shorter weapon for the people that push into you (Steel pick), because the sarranid sword easily whiffs at extreme short range and has very little pierce damage

Offline Liveon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • chadz...am sam, bo tak już mam.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Freedom
  • Game nicks: Liveon and... twins
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 10:47:04 am »
I'm not 1h/cavs(maybe I'll have to become one {aft-patch}, lol...), and maybe that's why I don't understand, how you believe that Nordic Champion's Sword is the best choice:

Nordic Champion's Sword

cost 7842

weight 1.35
requirement 7
spd rtng 97
weapon length 102
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 21 pierce
Gen1= 97spd 34cut 23pierce
Gen2= 98spd 35cut 23pierce
Gen3= 99spd 36cut 24pierce

Knightly Arming Sword

cost 6880

weight 1.35
requirement 7
spd rtng 97
weapon length 102
swing damage 31, cut
thrust damage 24 pierce
Gen1= 97spd 33cut 26pierce
Gen2= 98spd 35cut 27pierce
Gen3= 99spd 36cut 28pierce

PS Bravo balancemastablastateam, bravo Yeti!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:01:09 am by Liveon »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 12:31:11 pm »
I'm not 1h/cavs(maybe I'll have to become one {aft-patch}, lol...), and maybe that's why I don't understand, how you believe that Nordic Champion's Sword is the best choice:

Nordic Champion's Sword

cost 7842

weight 1.35
requirement 7
spd rtng 97
weapon length 102
swing damage 32, cut
thrust damage 21 pierce
Gen1= 97spd 34cut 23pierce
Gen2= 98spd 35cut 23pierce
Gen3= 99spd 36cut 24pierce

Knightly Arming Sword

cost 6880

weight 1.35
requirement 7
spd rtng 97
weapon length 102
swing damage 31, cut
thrust damage 24 pierce
Gen1= 97spd 33cut 26pierce
Gen2= 98spd 35cut 27pierce
Gen3= 99spd 36cut 28pierce

PS Bravo balancemastablastateam, bravo Yeti!

Depends on heirlooms. Without, the NCS is better (more cut is important from horseback). At MW level, there's no reason to take the NCS over the KAS.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)