Author Topic: About adding new items in cRPG (mostly a message to the Item Team)  (Read 8436 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
About adding new items in cRPG (mostly a message to the Item Team)
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:20 am »
+36
I hope you can find the time to read this.

Dearest cRPG developer crew, i'd like to first and formost thank you all for the great job you do with providing us with this awesome mod for such a long time and even more than that- for always trying to improve it with new features and make it better overall. It's a complete blast and probably the best mod  to any game i've ever played, the only thing that keeps many people like me from deleting Warband from our hard drives.

I have a small bone to pick with you guys though , mainly with the crpg Item Team.

I think we all can agree that this mod highly depends on it's gaming society. Many developers and admins used to be normal players willing to help before they got their promotions, many  people just help with some other things like promoting the game or helping out with some graphics for the website, etc.

One of the best things about this mod is it's great item variety. And many of these items come from players. Latest example being the very well made Turkish helmets. Another example can be the samurai armors that we (former Shogunate) made. For all the haters , i'd like to remind that at least when i started playing this mod (which was quite a while ago) , there was already a samurai set in the mod's arsenal by default. It was that pink hideous thing from the original M&B (not even Warband) that i believe not the samurai fans nor haters enjoyed to view on the battlefields. Than we've retextured it to make it look more appealing to the eye and than we've brought the samurai armors that you can currently observe in cRPG. Now it's another dispute if some people wanted to see samurais in these game or not, but since the developers put the pink armor in the first cRPG builds, i believe we can call the new armors an improvement. Improvement brought by players willing to make this mod look better.

Now , to the point.

As much as i appreciate all your tremendous work guys, i would also like you to appreciate ours too. It is not a matter of respect that people want to receive , it is a simple matter of them willing to do something for the mod again. I know already a couple of people that have given up on making new textures/models for the mod only because their work has been shown to you, approved, promised to be put in the mod and than completely forgotten about  or ignored . Not a big loss , you may say (or who cares) , but those people genuinely love the mod and were actually willing to put their efforts into making something useful.

I know that the biggest premise in each patch released is usually either Strategus stuff or some major/minor changes for cRPG balancing. But i also do know that there are people in the developer team that each have their own roles, like approving new items or adding them in patches/ on the website.
Despite this every time a new patch comes out some of  the items that have been given to you by players and approved by you are either glitched/not fully made in time or just completely forgotten about.

Alright, we all realise this is not your dayjob and you don't get paid for this, nobody is asking something impossible from you.
But if enthusiastic players approach you with new items that they either found or even made themselves and :
- consult with you about those items
- take your suggestions/advices about what you would like to see changed in those items
-spend a good amount of their time working on them
- send you all the files needed at least a couple of weeks before the patch strikes
- most importantly, get your approval and the confirmation that the items will make it in the next patch

PLEASE find a small portion of your time to ensure that the items actually do make it. All i'm asking of you is to not forget that these players  actually work hard and every time a new patch shows up, they are hyped to their work make it in it. That's the only gratitude they can wish for and the main thing that will keep them going , as in working on new items in the future. I believe i am talking about a collateral thing here, am i not ? New good items in cRPG = good, enthusiastic model makers = good, satisfied players = check, proud developers = check.

If there are some problems that stop you from getting things done in time (or not forgetting about doing something), be it

- Messed up graphics for releasing patches and the general mystery (for the Item Team) about what their deadlines are before the new patch comes out

- lack of time

- laziness

- whatever else

You have a big playerbase willing to give you a hand and help you out. If you start treating the enthusiastic players at least slightly better (less sending the player from one developer to another like a tennis ball for example), this playerbase might actually grow.

With all due respect, please don't take this personally ,

Ujin.

P.S. yes, this whole thing was fueled because of the absence of the byzantine items (about 6 helmets, was hoping to see at least 2-3) we've brought to the Item Team some time ago in the patch. It is biased , of course, but this is not the first time we have encourted this problem and i think many people who have done textures or models for cRPG know about a certrain amount of frustration that can come along.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: About adding new items in cRPG (mostly a message to the Item Team)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 12:50:25 am »
Hi,

It's signed,

I can only approved.

Tears of Destiny.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:55:39 am »
Show us the pics
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:57:59 am »
I think everyone in cRPG wants to see new gear on battlefield.
Signed by me . If item addition process develops faster , it would be better .
Thanks to players for creating textures, adding new stuff to community, thanks to devs who made lots of native players dream come true.
Also Ujin, can we see your models ?
I really wanna see what you guys did about byzantium gear.
About the samurai thing , i really love your work , samurai armours you made are really neat but people who combine them with turkish helmet, european boots and hun style lamellar gloves sux =D
Full samurai set always look good if you rp a samurai me thinks.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 01:00:36 am »
+1
Show us the pics
They've been shown to item team and approved by it. Pics from the forum, im not sure if it's the latest versions or not

retextured (from an OSP pack) helmets are the first 3,  upper part
(click to show/hide)

this one was made from the scratch

(click to show/hide)

Also brought 3 kettle helmets from another OSP pack, i think they got approved too (didn't expect all of them to make it in anyway)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:07:09 am by Ujin »

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 01:07:37 am »
The top 3 don't look the best quality. Last one is nice though.

Bearing in mind how much of a long thread + pole it took to finally get those Turk items in.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:09:57 am »

Bearing in mind how much of a long thread + pole it took to finally get those Turk items in.
They've been improved to some extent, the point is they were approved by the devs. Not mentioning how many much worse looking items we have in the game atm =). Those 3 were brought mainly for the variety in themes (european , byzantine, middle eastern).

Offline Karmazyn

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:07 am »

Last one is a must (2.3-2.5 weight maybe), the three other, they can take 1-2 of them for 1.5 and 1.8 weight, imho.
Si Deus Nobiscum quis contra nos

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:11:24 am »
Good point  :) But anyway I agree overall!

What happened to the mail shirt in the Turk armour? I was really looking forward to that.

Offline Cicero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 418
  • scourge of god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BashiBazouks_Cicero
  • IRC nick: Cicero
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:20 am »
The point is actually we got 8 turkish head armours but we can only use 2 of them which look as same as thats why we got only 1(chikcak).
Those böerks ( janissary head armours ) have only +14 armours which they thought its full of cloth.

I have made janissary börks from copper version to have more armours.Devs thought they made from cloth because of i sent pictures from normal head helmets.

From Osprey books Janissary pictures which can be source:
(click to show/hide)

You can see those janissary böerks made from copper

Behind of the böerk which is not really equal to mail-armour but it also guards head.A german site gives source of it:
 http://www.tuerkenbeute.de/sam/sam_rus/D204_02_de.php
"There were different regiments of Janissary's, but typical infantry dress would include a pair of baggy pants that conformed to the calf and ankle, low boots, a baggy sleeved shirt with a short coat or vest and long coat or vest over it. A sash- and leather belts to hold ammunition/ sword/dagger etc. In the head they would have worn the "Bork" a tall white hat that was folded over with the bottom ending about mid to low back. The hat would have included a shaped metal ornament on the front that may have included feathers to denote rank."
Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_did_janissary's_usually_wear
You can easily understand from those sources that böerks needs to have at least 35-40 armours.
Actually solak armours needs also 30-35 but dont really have time for it to search source.But same things also known about solak head armours they have a guardian helmet or chainmail stuff inside.
The cloth is only for covering main armour to look cool

And also changing items are easiest thing to do without any headache for balancing things and actually its the best thing to see satisfied community =)

Think about a full byzantium armours vs ottoman armours it will be really nice to watch =)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 01:13:38 am by Cicero »

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:12:46 am »
Of course, no one ever asked the devs to put in all 7-8 helmets that we've brought , clearly seeing 2-4 of them in this patch would've made everyone happy enough.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 01:37:19 am »
The OSP one with red tassel on top looks good.
The one below is fucking epic !

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 02:50:50 am »
One question :edit: <Cicero>, why are we even discussing putting in 16-18th century armor?

I mean, I know a couple of the heavy helmets and I think one or 2 of the plate chests are early 16th, but isnt crpg about the high Middle ages and PRE-GUNPOWDER?

Dont get me wrong nice work, it just doesnt fit in crpg, better than some more 12-15 century gear....  Imo.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 04:38:20 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 03:11:13 am »
You are either a troll or just being plain ridiculous. Please stay out.
Thanks for bumping the thread though.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 03:12:33 am »
+1
One question, why are we even discussing putting in 16-18th century armor?

The Eastern Roman Empire fell in the mid 1400s.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.