Author Topic: One-handers became too fast => Overpowered.  (Read 9542 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: One-handers became too fast => Overpowered.
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »
Sigh, this thread is silly.  So much whining from one side, met with elitist bullshit and pompous deceits from the other side (2hers).

And if your shield breaks what stops you from manual blocking? Or because you are a shielder it is your right to never have to manual block?

Maybe shielders should get autoblock, manual blocking is so unfair :shock:

Sorry mate, not everyone uses the Huscarl shield.  I use the heater shield, knightly kite shield or elite cavalry shield and they break just about every round guaranteed.  With a 7 shield skill point investment.  That's 3 stats and a skill upgrade for a 2her that I don't have access too.  I have to manual block all the time with a 1her but if you want to talk about FAIR then give me a 1her with more than 120 range, 98 speed and 35c/23p+ damage so I'm not put at a major disadvantage vs every 2her/polearm user in the game when I'm fighting shieldless.

No?  Didn't think so.  For the record manual blocking isn't some super leet skill decended from on high, delivered to us mere mortals by the gods.  It's not that complicated.  Just like playing a 2her/polearm user isn't that complicated.  Any semi decent player with even the most rudimentary of melee ability can do far more damage on the battlefield by choosing 2h/pole instead of 1h/shield.  Simply carry a rank 1 board shield and now you have every benefit shielders do, with none of the drawbacks.  Hate to break it to you but 2h/pole is just as skill-less, braindead and simple as playing a 1her (and when we're without a shield, even more so than a 1her).  The elitism needs to die as it's just retarded and full of misinformation.

@Urlurker:  You are going way too far out their on your rants about needing a 1her buff.  1hers are fine, they really are.  The only thing about 1h/shield that could use a buff would be the shields themselves, where the smaller non-huscarl shields could use more speed to account for their lessened protection/durability and make them better melee shields instead of just overlooked by the majority.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2011, 07:09:55 pm »
I agree with Gorath.  There's loads of shields that nobody uses because they're imbalanced compared to the huscarl.  I use the knightly heater shield, my favourite, and can't really imagine a circumstance when I wouldn't use it or a huscarl.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2011, 08:11:38 pm »
The only silly thing is that the best 1h sword is a fencing sword that doesn't fit in with the style of any good armor in the game.
Even made more silly that the best shield is a viking hoplite mix shield. Since I guess for 1h weaponry has higher priority than armor... (*)
But as a whole I don't think 1h swords are overpowered. Too fast to block... well heirloomed katana is about 10 points faster.  :rolleyes:
Other 2h weapons have lolstab, high reach and stun. I've yet to see a 1h that is harder to block than 2h, the opinion that 1h are harder to block has been around a long time, but I personally think this is just the case because most people have no experience blocking them since they just spam away.

Btw. speaking for myself what makes the sidesword so attractive isn't even its speed, it's that it's the only longsword with decent damage on both slash and thrust.
Main reasons shields are so powerful, are throwing spam and battle lines.

(*) Fix for this would be imo simple. Buff knightly arming and nordic champions sword up to the level of sidesword, nerf sidesword, buff knightly shields and nerf huscarl shield a bit, so viking and knight choice are equal in power and adjust prices accordingly.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:15:56 pm by EponiCo »

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2011, 08:52:27 pm »
Sigh, this thread is silly.  So much whining from one side, met with elitist bullshit and pompous deceits from the other side (2hers).

Sorry mate, not everyone uses the Huscarl shield.  I use the heater shield, knightly kite shield or elite cavalry shield and they break just about every round guaranteed.  With a 7 shield skill point investment.  That's 3 stats and a skill upgrade for a 2her that I don't have access too.  I have to manual block all the time with a 1her but if you want to talk about FAIR then give me a 1her with more than 120 range, 98 speed and 35c/23p+ damage so I'm not put at a major disadvantage vs every 2her/polearm user in the game when I'm fighting shieldless.

No?  Didn't think so.  For the record manual blocking isn't some super leet skill decended from on high, delivered to us mere mortals by the gods. It's not that complicated.  Just like playing a 2her/polearm user isn't that complicated.  Any semi decent player with even the most rudimentary of melee ability can do far more damage on the battlefield by choosing 2h/pole instead of 1h/shield.  Simply carry a rank 1 board shield and now you have every benefit shielders do, with none of the drawbacks.  Hate to break it to you but 2h/pole is just as skill-less, braindead and simple as playing a 1her (and when we're without a shield, even more so than a 1her). The elitism needs to die as it's just retarded and full of misinformation.

@Urlurker:  You are going way too far out their on your rants about needing a 1her buff.  1hers are fine, they really are.  The only thing about 1h/shield that could use a buff would be the shields themselves, where the smaller non-huscarl shields could use more speed to account for their lessened protection/durability and make them better melee shields instead of just overlooked by the majority.

This ^

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2011, 08:58:10 pm »
Hardly.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline _JoG_

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Swordsman for hire
  • Game nicks: Givi
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »
The only silly thing is that the best 1h sword is a fencing sword that doesn't fit in with the style of any good armor in the game.
Yeah, for some (unknown) reason the developers did not add the beautiful Narf's 16th century Landsknecht 3/4 armor to the mod. That's why the RP-style outfit of my 1hander is the strange combination of a padded jack (a complete LOLWUT? for the 16th century), a morion, leather gloves, leather boots (another LOLWUT?), a buckler, and a side sword (sometimes I also get a pike for dealing with cav).
Even made more silly that the best shield is a viking hoplite mix shield. Since I guess for 1h weaponry has higher priority than armor... (*)
Well, essentially the design is neither viking nor hoplite, but a 100% M&B fantasy (as well as a knightly kite shield, for example).
Other 2h weapons have lolstab,
THEY F****ING DON'T!
I'm not happy to say that since it sounds arrogant, but if you still think they can, then l2chamber.
I've yet to see a 1h that is harder to block than 2h, the opinion that 1h are harder to block has been around a long time, but I personally think this is just the case because most people have no experience blocking them since they just spam away.

Btw. speaking for myself what makes the sidesword so attractive isn't even its speed, it's that it's the only longsword with decent damage on both slash and thrust.
Main reasons shields are so powerful, are throwing spam and battle lines.

(*) Fix for this would be imo simple. Buff knightly arming and nordic champions sword up to the level of sidesword, nerf sidesword, buff knightly shields and nerf huscarl shield a bit, so viking and knight choice are equal in power and adjust prices accordingly.
Well, as for now, in the top 1h sword line you trade speed (side sword) for reach (long 1h swords). Seven more reach makes a difference.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2011, 09:32:54 pm »
THEY F****ING DON'T!
I'm not happy to say that since it sounds arrogant, but if you still think they can, then l2chamber.

What does pulling off the most difficult move in the game have to do with whether or not 2hers (and to a lesser extent, polearms) have the lolstab?  The lolstab lightsaber effect lolspin is still around.  Hell we giggle about it on the duel servers all the time about the lolstab.  Pick up dropped cookies/tears sword (even with 1 wpf) and stab away spinning around quickly, or even just multiple stabstabstabstab motions at people because of the speed of it's animation.  BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT that's neither here nor there really and should be mocked in it's own seperate thread.  I think we have a few lying around here somewhere.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 12:53:19 am »
UrLukur's stamp of approval!

Everything is support. Don't put words in my mouth.

Punisher. You waste your time on obv. reta....ehm... unhappy ppl. who like spending time on useless "want 1H+Board+TacticalNukeAttached" threads.

UrLukur. Just your way of argumentation gives a great idea why u are so unhappy with ur class.
You would be with every other class too, let me tell you that.

Know why. You simply seem too suck, you neither have an idea how to play ur class nor an constructive ideas.

Just deinstall and do youself a big favour. OMFG.

Yep, i suck. So, you and cristo, tell me why i am top on the scoreboard consistently even with characters on 24 or lower level ?

Woah Gorath, be sensible. In this entire thread i didn't asked for 1h buff over current level, i told ya that 1h do fine and even asked for NERF FOR 1h. Fuck, what is so hard to understand here ? I am pro 1h, but i don't ask for unreasonable things, this game is meant to be fun.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 12:54:39 am »
Everything is support. Don't put words in my mouth.

Or what? You gon' mess me up? Huh? Is that it? Huh, huh?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 02:27:50 am »
No need for that, you are already messed up.

If I didn't have the stab on my great sword, I'd probably never get a positive k/d.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 02:49:45 am »
I've got to agree that shields sans Huscarl need a speed buff. My Roman with a board shield stinks on ice, and my knightly-heater kind of sucks on foot. Maybe the round shields could be the slow sort, the full heaters/kites a happy medium and the short heaters/kites for the faster melee sorts?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 03:26:30 am »
Maybe the round shields could be the slow sort, the full heaters/kites a happy medium and the short heaters/kites for the faster melee sorts?

Pretty much how I was thinking the shield balance should be.  Most of the round shields/board shields would stay as is and then start buffing the speed of the rest of them from there.
Woah Gorath, be sensible. In this entire thread i didn't asked for 1h buff over current level

Actually I just went back over the thread and yeah I think I had your responses confused with another thread about 1h vs 2h balancing.

Offline Rheinhardt

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 10:03:51 am »
Honestly if semi-dedicated shield users make up half the game I won't cry any tears for the rest. Shield walls 4 lyfe yo.

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 03:44:49 pm »
Okay reading a couple of replies here and there and the original post, I figure that this thread is kind of silly.

Both sides are arguing really extreme views of the class.

1handers want a buff on their already unbreakable shields. Frankly, any idiot with a level 4 shield skill and a pick can gallivant around and rock out even the most capable two hander.

That said, I don't mind it one bit. I die to some turtle who takes smart swings at me? Good on him, I was bested in combat. I sit back, eat my lunch and hang out for the next round. Shielders are meant to cower (I use cower for my general disdain for shields) behind their boards while other classes whale on them.

I'd give them a break, because shielders are meant to take the brunt of the damage when the battle opens. They hang out front (or are meant to) and absorb arrows for us, and tend to be the first to die when we see that maul poking out just over everyones heads.

As much as they are a bitch to kill, any capable two-hander should be able to take a shielder down with some smart tactics and good combat skill - which, incidentally, isn't handed to you by God on your first two weeks playing this game.

~

Moving on to the two-handers: As a two hander myself, I think you guys are elitist pricks. "Elite class?" Oh please. You guys are just interested in becoming battlefield gods without putting any work in yourself. All you want to do is get a disgusting advantage over other classes by way of nerfing them, which is highly dishonorable.

If you can't spam a shielder, you whinge, if you get hit by an arrow, you whinge, if you die without engaging anyone, you whinge. Get over yourselves.

Whenever I start whinging about arrows and projectiles, everyone tells me to get a shield. Of course, there's sense in that. I say that I don't like shields (that being true), but also my plans for my build use every skill point available - so sadly, no points for shields.

If you guys don't like getting shot or getting shielder hugged, play smarter. It sounds to me like you guys think that your armor grants you immunity to any projectile.

Speaking of projectiles, nerf throwing. I feel like I'm fighting in a horizontal rain 50% of the time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 03:45:59 pm by Dexxtaa »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »
Okay reading a couple of replies here and there and the original post, I figure that this thread is kind of silly.

Both sides are arguing really extreme views of the class.

1handers want a buff on their already unbreakable shields. Frankly, any idiot with a level 4 shield skill and a pick can gallivant around and rock out even the most capable two hander.

That said, I don't mind it one bit. I die to some turtle who takes smart swings at me? Good on him, I was bested in combat. I sit back, eat my lunch and hang out for the next round. Shielders are meant to cower (I use cower for my general disdain for shields) behind their boards while other classes whale on them.

I'd give them a break, because shielders are meant to take the brunt of the damage when the battle opens. They hang out front (or are meant to) and absorb arrows for us, and tend to be the first to die when we see that maul poking out just over everyones heads.

As much as they are a bitch to kill, any capable two-hander should be able to take a shielder down with some smart tactics and good combat skill - which, incidentally, isn't handed to you by God on your first two weeks playing this game.

~
(click to show/hide)

Bolded parts, no. I actually rather want something totally different. Nerfing best shields. And boosting range of 1h attack compared to range of 2h to change dynamic of 1h vs 2h combat.

Yeah, 2h really own 1h in prolonged combat.
"Clava curva pie vinco"