Author Topic: Final Solution for Cavalry. (Make it.. different)  (Read 18997 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 418
  • Infamy: 613
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Final Solution for Cavalry. (Make it.. different)
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »
Greatsword users do not outreach the lancer himself if he has somewhat proper timing. They can only hit the horse before the lancer hits them as the horse is a bit in front of the lancer. This does mean though that if you hit the horse and it doesn't die, you are still fucked cause the lancers attack is uninterrupted and hits for a shitload of damage.

Keep that in mind, fending off cav with greatswords has quite a high risk to it. And the horses are fucking tough. Arabians regularly survived my MW german with 7 ps stab when they were charging at me at full speed. While the lancer on the arabian who has about the same pierce damage could oneshot me with 60 hitpoints and 60 body armor.

That is all true. Totally true.

But the thing is, you don't try to outreach them or hit their horse first. That's too risky. You do something else. I would teach you but I'm pretty sure you're already full of yourself, thinking how I can't teach you anything.

For those cav who think they can kill me with their lance while I'm aware, I might organize a small tournament. Me vs cavalry, with a pretty awesome prize, but only if enough cocky cav show up in here claiming how they can beat me with their lance thrust :)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2012, 09:51:07 pm »
+1
More armor for barded horses

Make the armor for unbarded horse more similar (horse skin is horse skin).

Make horse HP more similar (the bigger the horse, the more hp, but really all horses are gonna have similar hp)

Slightly less maneuverability for heavy horses, a more significant maneuver nerf for eastern horses (the "antelopes").

Slight increase to speed across the board (will make the maneuver nerf even more noticeable)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:58 pm »
Remove lance nerf, increase horse speed, reduce maneuver A LOT and acceleration a lot IMO. I dont think horses need more hp tho as they seem to be able to take a beating already.. If a horse gets stuck somewhere near an enemy it should not be able to get away easily, unlike how it is now sometimes I stop a horse with my spear, my second hit gets blocked and before the third attack is ready the horse is already long gone because it reaches 100km/h in just half a second.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »
+2
Nerf both acceleration and maneuver. Everything will be fine after that, people will still play cav, and will still top scoreboards, but they will require far more skill, and will be seen less frequently (as they should).

As it is now, at the beginning of every round I check out how many cavalry players my team has, if it's a healthy number, I know we will win 90% of the time, and if it's not, I know we will probably lose. It shouldn't be like that.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2012, 11:52:28 pm »
Actually, it should be like that. In medieval times, cavalry was kind of the deciding factor. You can always carry a lawlpike along with your 2h sword, you know. Or play siege.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2012, 04:02:47 am »
Actually, it should be like that. In medieval times, cavalry was kind of the deciding factor. You can always carry a lawlpike along with your 2h sword, you know. Or play siege.

you have a really good point, allot of people complaining about cav yet none of you use spears? you don't need WPF in polearms to use a awlpike around or to stab cav with, most people who carry spears I just avoid but I forget how a spear to stop cav would weigh all you 2h agi builds and would prevent you from spamming the hell out of each other  :rolleyes: silly me  :lol:
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »
+2

You won't be able to force the majority of the players to do something like that, and the entire point is, when the majority of your team is vulnerable to cavalry, it doesn't matter if a small number can handle them without effort. Yeah, it is realistic when cav is the deciding factor, it would also be realistic if plate armor made you immortal, but c-rpg is about balance, not realism.

However, I suppose to account for the nerfs I suggested, horse bump damage should be doubled (or something along those lines), since with low maneuver, it would be significantly easier to avoid a horse. Cav would be much more interesting this way, and it would also appeal to the realism crew (which isn't even the aim, but two birds with one stone, why not).
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »
+1
Actually vs one cavalry lancer, nobody is "vulnerable" unless they are a 1h without a shield on open ground with nowhere to go.  Otherwise if there's 2 infantry together, even if the cavalry kills the one, the guy behind can still swing and take him out. 

Cavalry isn't overpowered.  Infantry just tends to have a lot of retards and Rambo's. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:27 am »

Cavalry isn't overpowered.  Infantry just tends to have a lot of retards and Rambo's

that has to be the most senseable and reasonable thing in this thread
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2012, 03:23:30 am »
You won't be able to force the majority of the players to do something like that, and the entire point is, when the majority of your team is vulnerable to cavalry, it doesn't matter if a small number can handle them without effort. Yeah, it is realistic when cav is the deciding factor, it would also be realistic if plate armor made you immortal, but c-rpg is about balance, not realism.

Why not? You currently have to use a shield, if you don't want to get shot. Does this, too, mean that balance is off?

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2012, 03:36:13 am »
Why not? You currently have to use a shield, if you don't want to get shot. Does this, too, mean that balance is off?

You have to carry a shield to avoid being shot, you have to carry a long pokey weapon to avoid cavalry, what do I do with my last slot?

Anyway, can anybody enlighten me as to why Cav is considered op [aside from bump damage and omniblock shields]? I typically don't play battle and last time I was there I was under the impression that lancers either suck for the most part or are underpowered.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2012, 04:10:04 am »
The ultimate truth is, that cavalry punishes you for poor tactical decisions. I think it makes you play more as a team. If you don't, cavalry will be the deciding factor really fast. If your team spreads out in multiple places cavalry gains. If you are being in a tight group with some polearmers and throwers at the edges, cav can't do anything.

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #147 on: May 27, 2012, 12:08:11 pm »
The ultimate truth is, that cavalry punishes you for poor tactical decisions. I think it makes you play more as a team. If you don't, cavalry will be the deciding factor really fast. If your team spreads out in multiple places cavalry gains. If you are being in a tight group with some polearmers and throwers at the edges, cav can't do anything.

Yes and this idea won't change that at all.

I'm trying to make them teamwork more, and stop being AS efficient vultures as they are now, and make cav-teamwork a real prospect.

Let's face it. Cav are backstabbers, more than anything. Extremely efficient backstabbers too.

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 27, 2012, 03:41:45 pm »
+2
You have to carry a shield to avoid being shot, you have to carry a long pokey weapon to avoid cavalry, what do I do with my last slot?

That's exactly the point. You can't adapt to all situations anyway. And that's good, because you are not a one-man army. Shielders in the front line, 2h in second, ranged in third, spearman at the flanks guarding ranged, cav making maneouvers and trying to find a weak flank in the enemy formation.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2012, 03:57:46 pm »
+1
Let's face it. Cav are backstabbers, more than anything. Extremely efficient backstabbers too.

Yeah and aren't our Ninja friends super jelly about that? We are backstabbing the backstabbers who are lower than us in the food chain. Our main prey is infantry backstabbers who then get backstabbed themselves ^^.

Cav teamwork is a bit different than just normal teamwork of infantry. Usually 2-3 cav players is the desired squad size. Fake attacks with feinting, other one finishing the job or the first one bumping and the other ones striking the kills. It is just two or three cavalry players riding in a line. It's pretty much the only efficient way to do it. Any larger group and it becomes hard to cooperate in the heat of battle where you have to avoid pikes, archers, throwers and even 2h.

Now what I think you are suggesting that we should make the horses unmanouverable durable tanks and "cavalry teamplay" would be a massive cav group attacking as one formation charging to the enemy infantry. Is that your idea about team play? That is just plain stupid. It would just get the riders killed first when their horse is reared and the haters get their prey. I have no idea how it would make cavalry more skill based if manouver gets nerfed once again. It would just bring more stupid couch kills where people just rear their horse against a wall. Then again killing ranged agi whores and other agi whores would be impossible.

Thomek please try out playing as cav. Just make STF character and try it. I know Ninjas don't do cav, but just leave out the ninja tag then. Maybe you see that it isn't as easy as some people make it look like :wink:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:01:41 pm by Son Of Odin »

There is no sight in my third eye