17 (12.6%)
Buff cut damage armor penetration slightly
42 (31.1%)
Buff weapon stats and armor penetration slightly
9 (6.7%)
Buff weapon stats and/or armor penetration greatly
8 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: Cut Damage Tweak?  (Read 7339 times)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: Cut Damage Tweak?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 12:12:46 am »
+1
just make it +1 armor for the first 2 points then +2 on the last that would make it even with the recent weapon heirloom nerf.

Xbows.. not even gonna try asking for a loom nerf....
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 12:14:45 am »
+2
Yes, they should look into armor heirlooms, instead of cut damage.

It just went a bit too extreme in my opinion, as well.

Minus me for this if you want, I don't give a damn.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2011, 12:20:27 am »
+1
As a 1hander (mostly with a sword)/ hoplite/polearmer /lancer i say keep the damage values, but maybe slightly reduce the bonuses heirloomed armors give.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 12:27:11 am »
I personally saw this patch as a huge change to armor precisely because of the glance change. Whereas a person could wade into combat completely effective 80% of the time because many blows would glance, allowing him to carry through on an undefended swing (on someone who probably has less armor) now someone in plate has to play smart, as if they are surrounded by even two people they can be strike-locked to death.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 12:29:51 am »
A cut weapon buff isn't what is needed. What is needed is some tweaks in how much cut damage armour soaks.
If they can't adjust each damage type individually they will have to nerf pierce and blunt weapons then to prevent them becoming OP.

I have PS 8 and I use 39 cut weapon (MW Longsword). I hit koldborn who is wearing Lordly Rus mail once in the head (hold overhead) then 3 times right slash (spam). He survived.

Don't want you to buff cut damage, I want you to do something about armors.
If they weaken armors significantly they will have to weaken bows as well.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 01:44:02 am »
snip

I don't know about you, but I didn't glance anymore prepatch than I do now. Always 6-7 PS, 6 atm. Well, actually... I glance more now than I did prepatch, since only recently people have started having lordly body armor and lordly gloves.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 10:38:41 am »
+1
Ylca, permanently boggled.

edit:

If they can't adjust each damage type individually they will have to nerf pierce and blunt weapons then to prevent them becoming OP.
If they weaken armors significantly they will have to weaken bows as well.

...what?

Why don't you think they can adjust the soak of individual damage types? They did, to cut. That's why we're here. And most of the bows do pathetic damage or are ridiculously slow. I can say that as someone who both gets hit with a lot of arrows, and has very recently made an archer alt.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 10:47:02 am by Cheap_Shot »
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 02:12:30 pm »
Ylca, permanently boggled.

Always easier to make a clever quip than to touch on points, isn't it? Definitely makes the conversation progress towards a common ground i always say, and is the height of productive discussion.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 03:06:27 pm »
+1
As someone who mains 1h I prefer the armor changes WAY more than how it used to be. I don't mind it taking longer to kill someone since ALL of my attacks do damage no matter what armor the person is wearing. It also allows 1-handed sword users to turn into their swings more. Oftentimes now I can kill a lot of 2 hander and pole users before they can even get a swing in.

Also, there's one thing that everyone has to realize about cut damage. Cut weapons often have a MUCH higher base damage then blunt or pierce weapons. That makes them FANTASTIC for head hits. For example, my Mighty German Poleaxe will do 90 damage to the head before speed bonus, PS bonus and armor reduction. Most people don't survive 1 hit, let alone 2.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2011, 03:09:17 pm »
As someone who mains 1h I prefer the armor changes WAY more than how it used to be. I don't mind it taking longer to kill someone since ALL of my attacks do damage no matter what armor the person is wearing. It also allows 1-handed sword users to turn into their swings more. Oftentimes now I can kill a lot of 2 hander and pole users before they can even get a swing in.

Also, there's one thing that everyone has to realize about cut damage. Cut weapons often have a MUCH higher base damage then blunt or pierce weapons. That makes them FANTASTIC for head hits. For example, my Mighty German Poleaxe will do 90 damage to the head before speed bonus, PS bonus and armor reduction. Most people don't survive 1 hit, let alone 2.

QFT, i also always aim for the head with my strikes, perhaps this is the cause of the disparity between our view of the patch and other cut users?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »
QFT, i also always aim for the head with my strikes, perhaps this is the cause of the disparity between our view of the patch and other cut users?

That could indeed be the case. I also think a lot of people believe that every weapon should be good at EVERYTHING. Right now, all the damage types are in a good place.

Pierce weapons do the most damage to people in heavy armor.
Blunt weapons do a moderate amount of damage but have knockdown.
Cut weapons do the most damage to people wearing light armor. Also, cut weapons have the most utility. Swords are the fastest, often longest weapons in the game and have decent pierce values. Axes are incredibly handy.

You can't expect one weapon to be perfect in every situation.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »
You can't expect one weapon to be perfect in every situation.

And yet there are many weapons/playstyles that can shine in almost every situation, while others get raped.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »
And yet there are many weapons/playstyles that can shine in almost every situation, while others get raped.

Don't you think that this calls for a review of those weapons rather than making all weapons into one homogenous mess of the same item with a different skin?

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 07:10:37 pm »
Always easier to make a clever quip than to touch on points, isn't it? Definitely makes the conversation progress towards a common ground i always say, and is the height of productive discussion.

Oh, I wasn't trying to engage in conversation with you. I've already touched on quite a few points and contributed to the discussion. I was just taking a break to tease you about the number of times you said your mind was boggled. You gotta learn how to relax and stop taking yourself so seriously bro. You might start lasting longer in TS. Or in clans too I suppose.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »
Oh, I wasn't trying to engage in conversation with you. I've already touched on quite a few points and contributed to the discussion. I was just taking a break to tease you about the number of times you said your mind was boggled. You gotta learn how to relax and stop taking yourself so seriously bro. You might start lasting longer in TS. Or in clans too I suppose.

You do realize that i'm still in clan and that i spend significantly more time in TS than you, right? =P