Author Topic: Maps in Development  (Read 23868 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Maps in Development
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2011, 02:32:03 pm »
I'm working on a small forest fortress with double walls:

(click to show/hide)

I was wondering on how many trees I can add. Any recommendations? I currently have 60, but it's not enough for a believable forest ring around the castle...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:16 pm »
I have nothing constructive to say.

But that is one cool-ass castle yo

Offline Assarhaddon

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
  • Not with knowledge nor skill, but pure luck baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2011, 04:18:10 pm »
Zagibu the small forest fortress with double walls looks nice.

I take it one team spawns inside the other outside. Is this a battle map or siege?
In neither case. The outside team is gonno need some cover and you wanted more trees.
So how about removing all trees from the opposite side of spawn and placing them to spawn side.

Of course this brakes the illusion the castle been inside a forest if thats what you wanted.
But a castle build to guard some barbarian frontier that start next to a large forest is not bad neither.
Maybe even remove the side trees aswell and place some barley fields so you get really thick forest to spawn side.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2011, 06:47:04 pm »
Not a bad suggestion.  Also, bushes use far less processing power than trees and if you scale them quite large, are very good at making forests feel much denser.  In fact some of them look like trees when big enough.

I'll also just speak up quickly for the cav players out there who like to complain about all the new maps.  If it is one team inside, one team outside, you may want a ramp or two that the attacking team can ride up to get on the walls.  Not easy for cav by any means, but at least possible for them to be useful.  It's hard to see in the screenshot, but I'm assuming you have a gate on the front there, that should help.

Keep up the great work!

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2011, 07:17:25 pm »
I add as much as I can, spawn with 200 bots and see how my framerate is. Not very scientific.

I'm not sure what your goal is for the forest. If you want it to look thicker, I also would suggest different sizes and types of trees. Bushes of varying sizes also add to the lushness of everything and makes things look more random rather than placed.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »
Kong Ming,

I played your Aqaba map for the first time yesterday and there is one major issue you or Airenth should be able to fix in 30 seconds. One team spawns in/near a horse stable thing. But the last row of players spawns behind it and cannot get out. There's about a six inch space between the back of the stable and the wall. I was lucky enough to spawn there for three rounds. Obviously, easiest fix is to move the stable forward a foot or two or the spawn a few feet.

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2011, 08:51:48 pm »
Thanks, Kung Fu, this issue has been brought up and will be addressed soon! Along with a couple of other spots where you can get stuck.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2011, 10:02:49 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. The screenshots are still a very early WIP. It is a siege map, so I will add cover for the attackers. I've loaded the "Battle on Ice" native map today to check how many trees are in use there, and it's quite a large number, probably close to 200. So I think I should be fine adding some more. I'll also add some bushes, thanks for this input.

The fortress has a main gate that leads directly into the courtyard. From there, you can get to the top walls via stairs or the large tower. The lower walls can be reached through the top level of the gatehouse. The flag is inside the viking keep, and this keep has main doors to the courtyard, and side doors on both sides that open to the lower walls.

Attackers will be able to climb the lower walls using a belfry or ladders. From there, they can get to the top walls through the gatehouse top or they can walk around the fortress on the lower walls and break into the castle through one of the side doors. From the top walls, they can also drop to the courtyard and break through the keep's main gates. Last but not least they can also break down the outer main gates to enter the courtyard. And portable siege ladders are of course always an option, directly into the keep, or to climb the top walls easily.

I have no idea how the balance on this one will turn out.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:23 pm »
Balance on siege maps is incredibly tricky and you just can't know until people have played it a few times.  Can't wait to give it a go!

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:47 am »
Seige maps are tricky..yes. I am having a ton of trouble trying to finish my seige map.

Problem 1. Headquarters flag not lowering in bot testing.
I am using headquarters_flag_code_only, and flag_swadian, but the flag refuses to lower.
(click to show/hide)
Problem 2. attackers spawning randomly,
I want the attackers to spawn on a narrow-ish path and have placed 20 or so locations on the path but they periodically spawn way down the cliff face.
(click to show/hide)

Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:00:38 am by Nasturtium »

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2011, 08:55:08 am »
No need for the props I think Lucius, not unlike MOTF, see below:

Placing the flag

Simply create an entry point with an id of 66 and your flag will appear there for the defenders.

Link to the whole thread:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112806.0.html

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2011, 02:21:35 pm »
Yup just put the proper entry point down.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2011, 04:50:29 pm »
sweet thanks.  As for my other problem;

Ok so the spawner was designed to move spawns around an area.
This works great for most game modes and even for siege when all the attackers are coming from 1 side.

However if you are working on large maps or if you have spawns on 2 sides then it probably won't work.
The spawn script takes distances from the friendly base and the enemy base and does calculations around those.
It doesn't care if spawns are friendly or enemy.

What would work better is if a script could be made that puts defenders on spawns 0-31 and attackers on spawns 32-63.
My python knowledge is pretty crappy at the mo so I'm not sure if I could do this.

If anyone could it would be great, in the mean time I'm gonna swim about in the deep end.

Since there are a ton of steep elevations around my attacking spawn, I may not be able to get this to work properly, I may have to just make the attacking spawn a flat field.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2011, 05:17:50 pm »
Yeah, I remember reading that too and thinking the same thing.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »
Yeah, spawning is a bit strange in siege mode. In Khirin castle, I've noticed that the first spawn in new rounds is for the attackers like in battle mode (they all spawn around spawnpoint 31), and only once they are killed, one of the other spawnpoints is selected. This is not the same for defenders, though.

Also, I've noticed that in the native maps, spawnpoints are mixed, e.g. in Brunwud castle, 51 is inside the castle. So I think what the other guy wrote about the distance and calculation according to danger could well be correct, except, I think, for spawns 0 and 31, which probably signify the "defender camp" and "attacker camp". After all, how should the script be able to determine where the defender or attacker base is, if not using some entry points?