Author Topic: Maps in Development  (Read 22923 times)

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
Re: Maps in Development
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2011, 05:41:38 am »
Yeah, if you hunt around on the taleworlds forums you can find mention from people that some Mods have gone so far as to write their own new scripts to handle siege spawns instead of the Native ones.  Apparently this works much better though I don't know exactly what the change is.  Maybe some brave soul should mention this to chadz and co.  Not like they're busy or anything.  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Airith

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • NA Community Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Among The Shadows
  • Game nicks: Airith_ATS, Solanar_II_ATS
  • IRC nick: Airith
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2011, 12:05:41 am »
Yeah, spawning is a bit strange in siege mode. In Khirin castle, I've noticed that the first spawn in new rounds is for the attackers like in battle mode (they all spawn around spawnpoint 31), and only once they are killed, one of the other spawnpoints is selected. This is not the same for defenders, though.

Also, I've noticed that in the native maps, spawnpoints are mixed, e.g. in Brunwud castle, 51 is inside the castle. So I think what the other guy wrote about the distance and calculation according to danger could well be correct, except, I think, for spawns 0 and 31, which probably signify the "defender camp" and "attacker camp". After all, how should the script be able to determine where the defender or attacker base is, if not using some entry points?
Just wanted to post: Do not try to figure out the script for how siege mode spawning works. It is a bloody mess of 500 lines of code. (You can try but that was a good many hours wasted of my life) All you have to do is place 0-31 defenders, 32-63 attackers, 66 flag. The gist of it is that it figures out 0 and 32, then all spawns that are near them, but far from the other, are now the defender/attack spawns. (Which explains the weirdness in the native maps) The script also take into account height when placing defenders... Somewhere. Just remember siege is backward from battle, 0 is defenders and 32 is attackers.

chadz was talking about rewriting the siege spawn script, but that's something that would be done way down the line from now as there are many other important things to do first.
And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low
Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2011, 05:52:26 am »
Any clue if strategus is going to have new or bigger siege maps to fit with the new siege stuff and not be so buggy? If so, do you need any more volunteers to help make/expand them?
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Infamy

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Maps in Development - Two Forts
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2011, 03:42:12 am »
This is my map I am currently working on.  Its called Two Forts.
(click to show/hide)
The map is rather large - 42 seconds from both spawns to center bridge - so I am probably going to trim it down some before submitting it.

Let me know what you think, its basically 2 forts divided by one river and 3 crossings/bridges - rope bridge in thick forest, stone bridge in clear area(center), and a rocky clearing in a middle of thick bushes.

Thanks for input - hopefully have it submitted this weekend or so..

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2011, 06:38:15 pm »
Looks pretty good man, can't wait to see what it's like!

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:52 pm »
Looks good. I do agree it seems a bit large. Its been my experience that, unfortunately, 80% of the map will not be used. Everything will likely happen at the bridge/river area. So you may want to short up either the whole thing or the sides a bit. Otherwise you have a lot of pretty, but dead, space. Thats more a personal preference though. Otherwise, I think it looks nice.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Infamy

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2011, 11:07:40 pm »
Thanks for input - I am not sure if it was necessary but I put the whole map in a boundary box -  Also lightened the flora up by about 25% to increase fps, removed all particle effects except 2 - and found that I had about 30 objects floating under the map where I had elevated but didn't remove props.

I have noticed like you said Kung Fu, that on large maps people tend to focus entirely on the chokepoint/s  - not much of a worry

I am gonna tweak it a tad more and then submit it for approval.

Thanks Again :D

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2011, 09:08:21 pm »
  I need some help! I have a siege map currently in rotation on NA 100, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. The problem is the flag, it works fine when I test it in the editor, but when it loads on the server it will not show up on the pole. Even though the faction of the defenders if swadian, a rhodok flag without a pole shows up hovering half inside a wall and cannot be captured either at the main flag or the floating one.

The flag point is set at 66 and I did not put down any props, just the entry point. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »
I'm no help with that question.

I have my own though. Is there a way to make an object cause damage like walking into a fire hurts you?
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2011, 12:30:31 am »
If there is I'd love to know about it.  To my knowledge, NO.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2011, 01:18:17 am »
  I need some help! I have a siege map currently in rotation on NA 100, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it. The problem is the flag, it works fine when I test it in the editor, but when it loads on the server it will not show up on the pole. Even though the faction of the defenders if swadian, a rhodok flag without a pole shows up hovering half inside a wall and cannot be captured either at the main flag or the floating one.

The flag point is set at 66 and I did not put down any props, just the entry point. Any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

I'm sure you have already tried this, but delete everything, the flag, pole, entry point. Then save and rebuild using the module system. Load the map again, make sure there is no entry point 66 somewhere (scroll the list), then put down the entry point 66, save, exit, rebuild, and you should be fine.

I constantly have strange problems with entry points, and they usually get fixed if I do the above.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2011, 06:14:52 am »
Thanks for your help! I cannot use the module system since I have Vista as an OS, this has never been a problem fro me in the past. I tried going in, deleting all the points and re-placing them, so far no dice, I will give it another shot ><.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
You could also try changing the map to another game mode and see if there is a flag somewhere. Or maybe add it to another one of the siege slots? I've never used Kong Ming's method, so I can't really help you, there, sorry.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2011, 08:38:55 pm »
I am pretty sure I figured it out! I used a hq_flag prop for a support column, since the editor is seriously lacking in random bits of lumber. I think this is the cause of all my problems. Oh happy day!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »
Yeah, it's actually kind of strange that the dev didn't implement more generic walls, supports, ramps, etc. Glad you figured out the problem.