Author Topic: Maps in Development  (Read 22908 times)

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
Re: Maps in Development
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2011, 05:56:02 am »
Naval engagement. This is tricky to do sice players who fall in the water with ahorse will live when they hit the sea floor. I am adding a AI barrier half way down the 200 meter drop, so when horses hit it they die and the rider still has to fall 100 meters.

(click to show/hide)
I made a map similar to this once but I lost it when my HD crashed...

What I did was put barrier around everything so people couldn't fall off, but that took a lot of work.  I just hope your idea works correctly, otherwise admins will have to kick a lot of ppl who fall.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2011, 09:31:28 am »
I am adding a AI barrier half way down the 200 meter drop, so when horses hit it they die and the rider still has to fall 100 meters.

Have you gotten this to work?  In my attempts the horse falls very far and then just stops at the ai_barrier without taking damage.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2011, 11:42:39 am »
How are you guys doing ceilings and floors for indoor maps? Unless I use a prefab room, they don't provide any ceiling or floor objects. I'm having a hell of a time trying to make walls into floors/ceilings without things getting all uneven and crazy.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2011, 05:29:06 pm »
I made a map similar to this once but I lost it when my HD crashed...

What I did was put barrier around everything so people couldn't fall off, but that took a lot of work.  I just hope your idea works correctly, otherwise admins will have to kick a lot of ppl who fall.

I have run out of time to finish this map, if anyone wants the files for it to play around with and finish let me know.

Kong: I have not tested this yet I will let you know as soon as I do.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:24 pm »
How are you guys doing ceilings and floors for indoor maps? Unless I use a prefab room, they don't provide any ceiling or floor objects. I'm having a hell of a time trying to make walls into floors/ceilings without things getting all uneven and crazy.

Unfortunately, this game has very little support for indoor maps.  It lacks the option to make "brushes" which are basically just blocks tat you shape and texture yourself to make walls and so forth.  Because of this, you're sort of limited to using the pre-fab rooms.  The only other option is to mash a lot of random sceneprops together like you describe, but this is both time consuming and imperfect.  Check out the sceneprop "arabian_ground"  it might save you some work.

Offline Mak33

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2011, 06:43:55 pm »
If I may write about my opinion, and more of a concern for a brief moment....

Why is there such a push for creativity and unrealistic themes in "mapmaking"?  Why can't someone take a simple neighbor hood landscape and convert it into the virtual world of cRPG?

At least half of the maps on the cRPG servers lose the immersion factor and overall are not enjoyable to play due to the very unrealistic nature of the geography and geology of the allowed playing area.

Why can't maps be more simple, the way they were in medieval times... even current times for that matter.  What's wrong with having a simple hillside with a dense treeline, scattered evergreens, and some uneven ground?  For that matter, what's wrong with having a large hillside as the playing field?  It's simple, yet very realistic.

Why the push to insert scenes from LOTR into map making??  I think that the more simple the map, the more enjoyable it is and it also boosts the immersion factor for players.

Why can't we get as simple as this:

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2011, 06:55:10 pm »
If I may write about my opinion, and more of a concern for a brief moment....

Why is there such a push for creativity and unrealistic themes in "mapmaking"?  Why can't someone take a simple neighbor hood landscape and convert it into the virtual world of cRPG?

At least half of the maps on the cRPG servers lose the immersion factor and overall are not enjoyable to play due to the very unrealistic nature of the geography and geology of the allowed playing area.

Why can't maps be more simple, the way they were in medieval times... even current times for that matter.  What's wrong with having a simple hillside with a dense treeline, scattered evergreens, and some uneven ground?  For that matter, what's wrong with having a large hillside as the playing field?  It's simple, yet very realistic.

Why the push to insert scenes from LOTR into map making??  I think that the more simple the map, the more enjoyable it is and it also boosts the immersion factor for players.

Why can't we get as simple as this:

Please more simple maps where you aren't forced to go to the choke point because it's the only source of defence/offense in the map.
In example, field by the river or whatever that map is called where everyone rushes the ruins, it's a rather large map, but we all end up at the ruins. Less Counter-Strike/Call of Duty maps please, more medieval skirmish/battle maps not every skirmish was fought in a town or village. Just my opinion, I do enjoy most of the maps made but it seems you're drifting away from medieval skirmishes/battles and more into Call of Duty town/village/castle/dungeon/dwarven kingdom maps.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2011, 07:04:18 pm »
I'll claim a little guilt for this.  My maps do tend to be more "counter-strike" since that's where I learned to make maps in the first place.  The other issue is that quite honestly, making an open-field map is rather boring, and feels like you haven't contributed anything new.  But regardless, I will make a new effort to develop two or three maps that are more in the vein of what you guys describe because I think you are more or less right.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 08:04:43 pm »
If you want a very simple map, either a) people will whine about cavalry being OP,
b) people will complain about it being too big, and/or c) you might as well put in Random Plains.  Not to say I don't like these maps; they are actually quite enjoyable.  However, I don't think the general crpg population will like them.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:24 pm »
Well, the base maps have several LARGE open field type maps but the server admins tend not to put those in. I think there might be one or two that are in rotation on the US servers. My personal opinion is that I do not like wide open maps because a)I have no cover and b)I have no cover. Why do you think all the infantry run immediately to those ruins? Better chance of survival. Its tactically your best option. Otherwise, you get run down by cav from all directions or get a 100 arrows in you.

There are several maps in roation now that are outdoor and basically free of buildings. But they provide some cover from trees. I like those maps. I'm sure some open field maps can be made. From my limited experience with the editor, it seems like those can be slapped together in about 10 minutes.

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Mak33

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2011, 03:57:43 am »
Well, the base maps have several LARGE open field type maps but the server admins tend not to put those in. I think there might be one or two that are in rotation on the US servers. My personal opinion is that I do not like wide open maps because a)I have no cover and b)I have no cover. Why do you think all the infantry run immediately to those ruins? Better chance of survival. Its tactically your best option. Otherwise, you get run down by cav from all directions or get a 100 arrows in you.

There are several maps in roation now that are outdoor and basically free of buildings. But they provide some cover from trees. I like those maps. I'm sure some open field maps can be made. From my limited experience with the editor, it seems like those can be slapped together in about 10 minutes.

I'd have to say I do not enjoy "indoor" maps, however I understand that I'm most likely the minority.  I think many cRPG members like "indoor" maps.

On the topic of more open maps or more open fields... I enjoy these situations more often.  Reasoning?  Well, because it makes the attacking and defensive strategy more interesting.  Villages don't make the fighting interesting, especially when placed directly in the middle of where the two teams spawn.  It's a never ending fight of rushing to the buildings then battling around it.  Once in a while you'll see a band of randoms flanking... which is strategy.  I understand that running to the nearest object is strategy.  It obviously protects the player from arrows or other objects in flight.  But that becomes too common of a strategy and doesn't make for any interesting battles.

Viewing how clans will maneuver around a large barren field or how pubbers will discuss a plan of attack then execute, I feel is much more interesting, which makes for a more enjoyable experience within cRPG.  It requires more thinking, more immersion, and more team work.  I think that's why most of us are here... to immerse ourselves in the battles of medieval times.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2011, 09:14:13 am »
(click to show/hide)

Seige map I am working on this month, I found a way to make a nice destroyed wall using the two Stone_heap models and the Stone_step model. I tried to make a hastily built defense behind it but i dont think it looks hasty enough  :lol:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:22:44 am by Nasturtium »

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 07:18:46 pm »
I'm finishing up my first two maps, ever. The first is a small skirmish type map, called Misty Mountain Hop. I name my maps after songs. :wink:
(click to show/hide)

The second map is an open field map. But I couldn't just make an open field. Thats too boring. Anyway, this one will probably grind your system to a halt but we'll see. Its still a work in progress, approx 50% done, called Fields of Gold.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 09:51:31 pm »
I tried to make a hastily built defense behind it but i dont think it looks hasty enough  :lol:

Angle the walls slightly.  Straight up and down looks too well constructed for hasty.

Congrats Kung Fu!  Thanks for contributing!  I tried the dense foliage thing too and haven't quite gotten it to be feasible for everyone's computers but I hope we can find a way because I love the idea.  Good luck!

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2011, 02:49:49 am »
Angle the walls slightly.  Straight up and down looks too well constructed for hasty.

On a side note, I hate it when map developers put large walls (IE: Fortress Walls) all vertical but with differing heights. It looks so sloppy, just angle the damn walls.
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.