Author Topic: Maps in Development  (Read 22906 times)

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
Re: Maps in Development
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2011, 08:59:32 am »
Well, the problem with that is that angling them looks even worse.  Because the bricks aren't laid with gravity in mind and because the uprights or whatever they're called (the things archers hide behind) will also stick up at a weird angle.  Also, the walls will invariably overlap in a really weird way.  There are a couple of castle models that have inclined battlement pieces you can use, but if you aren't building one of those castles you're kinda outta luck.  I tend to just try and put a turret or something in between to break up the line and allow the battlements to be at different heights.  But that might not work well either if it's a castle you need access to.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • If I see that fucking pickle one more time...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
  • IRC nick: Whalen
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2011, 10:21:32 am »
Well, on a side note..
Update my maps, revamped a little bit. They got mixed reviews on their first run through the rotation today -- most liked Entrenched, but even then I added more anti-cav measures. I "fixed" Snowy wastes (hopefully)

http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2527
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2011, 06:59:21 pm »
Hey whalen, congrats on getting your maps on NA! I played them both last night and here are some observations/ suggestions.  The first map with the camps played fairly well, you can't go wrong with a nice open field to run around in, two suggestions: widen the bridge by at least 2x, and dput some kind of fence or something at the invisible edge walls of the map, I noticed cav and infantry repeatedly running into them.

The second map needs some indication of where people should go, players went in every direction and action was sparse and spread out, maybe a road?

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2011, 07:36:33 pm »
Got to play your maps last night just a bit, Whalen. Only played one round of Entrenched so I can't really comment on it yet til I see how people move when they spawn. Gut reaction was, I'm gonna get run over quick. Gah, no cover!

Snowy Wastes was a bit large. Like Nasturium said, most of my team had no idea where to go at first. We just kept wandering around and eventually the two teams circled back and found each other. It got better after a few rounds but definitely some paths would be helpful.

I, for one, am always glad to see new maps.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2011, 03:48:11 am »
Kong ming: your new faux-swamp map went over very well with no balancing complaints, and only minimal and unfocused bitching. The only notable bug is that the swadian spawn needs the stable model removed, as players get glitch stuck in beetween it and the wall upon spawning. Also; the consensus among the clan was that the wooden walkway against the wall crossing the swamp could use widening, and the building connected to the domed building across the brindge that lines up with the bridge on the swadian side needs lowering.(sorry I forgot to take screenshots, ask me if I muddled up the explanation .)

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2011, 05:16:55 am »
Thanks for letting me know, I didn't even realize Airith had put it up on the servers.  I'll definitely fix the spawn, and my intention with the wooden bridge was that it was only wide enough for single-file and therefore not an ideal option to get across.  I'd like to see how people choose to play it.  I'll have to jump back into the map to know what you mean by the lowering of the Swadian side building.  Thanks for the input!

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2011, 04:06:31 pm »
Now I'll have to change my name to Henry V.

I didn't know you made maps Welcome to Hell, what you might do to make it better though is add some potholes in a few places, put a few rocks, and mix up the terrain a little.  Add some dirt and mud textures lightly mixed in with the other, since its very homogeneous right now.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:33 pm »
Lookin' good, agincourt? Please use spoiler tags, thanks!

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: [Guard_Whalen207 [Guard_Whale_Tosser [Guard_Whale_Tank [Guard_Whale_ArrowSpam
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:41 am »
Okay, updated Snowy_Wastes and Encampments again.
Some more eye-candy, some balancing and marks for map edges to discourage people from bumping into them.
http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2527
Arma 2, Mount and Blade, Garry's Mod and Coloholics Roleplayer, Coder, Mapmaker and Moderator.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2011, 10:10:41 pm »
How many times have you altered your maps? It seems to take awhile for the admins to get them on in the first place and I think they're still on version 1 of yours.

"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2011, 10:24:11 pm »
Three or four times each.
I PM'd Airith, but alas, he ignores the PM box.
I'll spam some more.  :D

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2011, 10:56:02 pm »
Airith's been a bit out of touch lately, busy schedule and what not.  If you haven't already, I'd recommend using version numbers on your maps so people can tell if they are up to date or not.  Just a thought.  If you're really ambitious, keep a changelog.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2011, 12:20:36 am »
Three or four times each.
I PM'd Airith, but alas, he ignores the PM box.
I'll spam some more.  :D

Dude, you gotta give it up eventually. After all, art is never complete, only abandoned.

Offline Whalen207

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
Three or four updates isn't alot.
Also, played your bridge over troubled waters. Great map.
Bushes are kind of annoying though.

<--- Throwing Lance Spammer