Author Topic: Maps in Development  (Read 22905 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Maps in Development
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:44 pm »
Very cool. All your maps are quite exceptional.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • what? ... What? ... WHAT?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: Warden_Thranduil The_Doctor
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 02:50:04 pm »
Very cool. All your maps are quite exceptional.

Thank you.  Sadly, I feel like an idiot right now, because I forgot to put the rest of the entry points to prevent random spawning and master of the field points!  Haven't done that in like 7 maps!

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »
Hmmm....Sky Castle may need a little editing.  People don't really go downstairs, and on the spawn outside the castle, sometimes someone spawns outside the fence and has trouble getting back in.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 11:10:27 pm »
Alright, so the swamp map I was experimenting with was clearly too demanding on my computer for it to be viable.  However, I decided to instead utilize the swamp terrain on a small scale in a section of a new map I'm working on.  It's called Aqaba.  A walled desert port city straddling the harbor.  Lots of elevation, rooftops, bridges, swamp, etc.  It's currently in my 1.0 state, meaning totally playable but not yet playtested on the servers and still in need of a lot of aesthetic additions and tweaking.  The basic structure, however, is in place.  I'd love any feedback people have.  It's now packaged on the repository with my most recent (and barring disaster, final) version of Horseshoe.  Here's the link and some screens.  Teams spawn in the lower right and left corners of the city in the Bird's Eye screen.

Repository

(click to show/hide)

Hey Kong, I got a chance to play through your map this morning, it looks great! good job on the wetlands. The map is small, with clean lines and I did not encounter any glitches in half an hour running around and jumping on stuff. My only worry is that the bridge detracts from the swamp combat, hopefully people will not run across it en-masse and make this great map become yet another bridge chokepoint map.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 12:06:53 am »
I've noticed that spawn points are not really accurate in M&B. Sometimes, people spawn a few feet away from the entry point. Also, it seems that some of the entry points are ignored and people spawn in a very tight group around some entry points, although there would be other entry points quite a bit away, which are free. Maybe this has to do with player number increase over the default 64?

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:26 am »
Well, part of it has to do with the fact that for battle there are ONLY two spawn points.  So the entire team spawns in the general area of spawn point 0 or spawn point 32.  All the other points are just to help provide spawn locations for deathmatch games.

Hey Kong, I got a chance to play through your map this morning, it looks great! good job on the wetlands. The map is small, with clean lines and I did not encounter any glitches in half an hour running around and jumping on stuff. My only worry is that the bridge detracts from the swamp combat, hopefully people will not run across it en-masse and make this great map become yet another bridge chokepoint map.

I'm glad you had a chance to look around.  I'm also hoping that it isn't just a bridge crush, but I wanted to provide a fairly exposed option for cavalry to get around.  I'm hoping it's less attractive to archers and infantry.  Guess we'll see!

@Thranduil: I'm wondering if it would look cool to use some of those flat valley rocks or whatever they're called as overhanging formations extending out above the town to simulate the feel of the pueblo village being tucked under the cliffside.  Just a thought.  Purely aesthetic.

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 04:20:39 am »
@Thranduil: I'm wondering if it would look cool to use some of those flat valley rocks or whatever they're called as overhanging formations extending out above the town to simulate the feel of the pueblo village being tucked under the cliffside.  Just a thought.  Purely aesthetic.

Hmmm....interesting....I'll look into that. Good idea.

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 06:33:54 am »
This is what I've been working on. 

(click to show/hide)

As you can see, its Helm's Deep from LOTR, based heavily on the movie version, with a few tweaks to make it more playable and more accurate to the book.  I've only been working on it for 2 days and its very early WIP still.  Most all the walls are up but that's about it :P  I also did a little bit of terrain modding and painting of course, but it still needs a long way to go.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 09:50:51 am »
Looks pretty cool so far man.  Is the plan to make it a siege map?

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »
Yeah definitely siege.
Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 11:03:15 pm »
Awesome, can't have enough siege maps.

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 11:48:29 pm »
(click to show/hide)
Simple celtic circle map, I kept the map size small as possible and placed virtually no objects besides the bare minimum in order to make room for more trees.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 11:50:16 pm »
Just last night I was thinking about making a stonehenge map.  Good thing I decided to hold off!  Looks good already man!

Offline Thranduil

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 02:01:11 am »

What chy'a think?  Honestly, this is not my area of expertise.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 04:35:32 am »
If you use the Vallet_Rock_flat prop blown way up and ingrease its Z axis greatly it will look more rocklike and stop your textrures from looking so stretched out. I have heard my clanmates complaining that there are not enogh side passages for flanking on this map.