Author Topic: throwing is broken  (Read 21303 times)

Offline SirProto

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • professional shot-misser
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: B0LT, pr0to
Re: throwing is broken
« Reply #255 on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »
+2
so many of my throwing axes keep flying through people :(
(click to show/hide)

Offline Spanish

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 2h Cav Star of the year award winner.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The official Drama Llama of Knights_Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Spaniard, BowPersona, Span
« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2012, 06:44:42 pm »
Just went on a throwing rampage on NA 1 with my STF thrower and it was wonderful. 14-1 using war darts and anything I picked up from other throwers. I would like more ammo though
My horse is named pebbles and we like to try.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:27 pm »
I still get my kills. Though i understand where your problem is...

(18/21, throwing axes, 6 pt, 7wm, 7ath, 6 ps, 1if).

1-2 axes fo light armour
2-3 axes for med. armour
5-6 for the plated ones

1 headshot for every armour

I don't think damage is the problem. But as someone said before - those hitboxes are kind of stupid. Sometimes Axes fly just through the enemy. Sometimes the axe is stuck "in the head" without beeing a headshot. Or you SHOULD have hit the Body - but the axe is stuck in the inside of the arm e.g...

I know its harder to get kills now than it was b4 the ranged patch

As a thrower its much harder to kill enemies than with any other class.

I decided to take it as a challange. And even am top ranked from time to time. Got an overall K/D ratio of more then 2

And even tho its harder for us - we still are the best :).

Fuck them other classes!
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2012, 07:54:22 pm »
ah and Proto:

try and hit enemies when they're either facing you or running away.

Jumping targets are almost impossible to hit. Hitting them from side as well.

Also you should move yourself while throwing. (Don't know if that really changes something, but i get more kills, when im running, jumping, throwing than when im standing still aiming. )
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Spanish

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2012, 08:19:42 pm »
+1
I've noticed the best way for me to be kills is to focus on light armored targets at the beginning of the rounds and conserve ammo until late in the round when most players are weak and pick them off with well placed darts. And I usually rely off of other throwers that have died and left they're throwing weapons lying around. I can even clutch most games.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #260 on: May 02, 2012, 01:02:30 am »
So I made an STF pure thrower: 27/12 with 4WM and 9PT all wpf into throwing.
The accuracy is decent.

BUT, in the first hour of playing I noticed people tend to survive way too many heavy throwing axes. On multiple occasions, I hit someone wearing a heraldic mail with tabard 3 times (most in the chest, sometimes 1 in the leg) and they would just walk away with my throwing axes.
A strength build in a byrnie took 3 and walked away too.
Yes, they were all coming at me, cuz I got cleaved when I was standing around wondering why they were still alive.

Horses on the other hand all died in 1 hit.

Seems like I need to bring jarids at least to bring infantry down. HTA's are for killing archers and horses.

That's about right, though with horses it depends on how/where you hit them.  Headshot on a charging horse with a heavy throwing axe will kill them.  If you miss the head and hit the body (or worse, leg) it won't (and you'll probably get lanced).  Hitting the rider might kill him unless he has heavy armor (or you hit him in the arm/leg) although that will still interrupt his intended lancing.

If the horse is running away from you, you can throw at it all day without killing it.

Basically throwing vs horses is my favorite thing but if you screw up then the cav will one-shot you.  Beats trying to fend off cavalry with a sword, though.

Versus infantry you should just count on using throwing to soften them up a bit.  Otherwise you'd better plan on playing like Chucky -- throw axes, run away, pick up axes, throw axes, run away some more... you won't kill most people before they can close with you so you'd better run (and hope they don't have their own throwing daggers to stun you with...) or else have a build that can follow up with good melee.

Ditto for fighting cav, incidentally.  You may have killed the horse in one headshot but an armored rider will take a shot or two and still close the gap to kill you if you can't melee him or flat out run away.  And then there's shielders...

Figthing plate guys with throwing is kind of silly too.  Even if you win, he'll end up on the ground with the majority of your ammunition stuck in his armor.

This is why I encourage throwing hybrids but not pure throwers.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Spanish

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 02, 2012, 01:41:52 am »
Pure throwing is the best you need to use war darts bro and rely on those mystical headshots and staying alive to the end of the round to pick ppl off! War darts are amaZing and the best thing about throwing is killing another thrower with lances taking them slaughtering he enemy then running away and chucking war darts to finish them

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #262 on: May 02, 2012, 08:04:31 am »
For shielders you want to jump throw over their left shoulder. Alternately you can sometimes dip to your left and hit them in the right side. It's easier if you have somewhat unlevel terrain to work with and the shilder is a foot or so below you. Shielders are pretty slow when they have the shield up and if you have 6 or 7 ath you can dip in and out of their area pretty good. Weapons that have a fast release will help too, war darts and heavy axes are pretty quick. Throwing spears are pretty slow.
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned

Offline _Tak_

• Earl
  • Renown: 459
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Retired Dev of FI2
    • View Profile
    • mod :D
  • Game nicks: LC
« Reply #263 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »
Their ammos and damage is way too small, their weapons cost too much, just found out playing as thrower will make less money than playing as lancers, they seriously need some kind of buff, playing as archer/ xbowman do alot better than thrower

I am ok with the weight of weapons but if you use throwing weapons like throwing lance you will break, if you use throwing lance (4 max ammo), pretty much most of the time people survive from 1 throwing lance, try it on STF u will see, its funny that light archer wearing armor like jerkin survive an throwing lance

need to throw like 3 heavy throwing axe to kill a medium armor infantry, like 6 or more to kill an tincan, and you only got like 12 ammos, is this some kind of joke>?

yep throwing is broken
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:26:10 pm by AlexTheDragon »

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #264 on: August 01, 2012, 09:19:58 pm »
Ninja xbow here (this gen). Yesterday I survived a throwing lance to the body in a ragged outfit...

Throwing doesn't scare me like it used to.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2012, 09:28:49 pm »
Make throwing weapons cheaper?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Strider

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:43 pm »
The community seems to like it when you speak up for throwing. But all i get is a bunch of infamous disliking.  :cry:

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #267 on: August 02, 2012, 12:31:02 am »
I'm going to be the party pooper here, again!

Nothing is wrong with throwing. It's just that throwing is much better when hybridized. Pure throwing might not be satisfying atm, but buffing it would have stupid consequences...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #268 on: August 02, 2012, 01:20:26 am »
I'm going to be the party pooper here, again!

Nothing is wrong with throwing. It's just that throwing is much better when hybridized. Pure throwing might not be satisfying atm, but buffing it would have stupid consequences...
It's better as hybrids, which is why it should be cheaper, IMO.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #269 on: August 02, 2012, 01:22:38 am »
EDIT:
Thought again and maybe it would be better if once you start getting into the higher levels of PT you start gaining a little accuracy as well? Dedicated throwers can still be a thing, just needs careful balance.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:30:54 am by Peasant_Woman »
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps