Author Topic: throwing is broken  (Read 22698 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: throwing is broken
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »
@Ronin
master the art of *jumpheadshot*
there are some like pebble_pusher and other thrower out there who are able to do that. I got killed quite a few times that way as a shielder.
On my pure thrower alt i haven't mastered yet that art myself though  :rolleyes:
But i get quite some kills with him and it is good fun.
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2012, 03:18:23 pm »
+1
IMO throwing is now like it's supposed to be. It's not necessarily a support class, I'd say support skill more rather. You are not only thrower, but you are also a 2h, polearmer or 1h.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »
@Ronin
master the art of *jumpheadshot*
there are some like pebble_pusher and other thrower out there who are able to do that. I got killed quite a few times that way as a shielder.
On my pure thrower alt i haven't mastered yet that art myself though  :rolleyes:
But i get quite some kills with him and it is good fun.
Haha retired yesterday. No more throwing for me :D
But I'll definitely use it in native. I only looked at it as a fun technique, but now you changed my perception towards it.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2012, 04:35:34 pm »
There is a lot of tricks and stuff related to throwing. Just trying them out brought the game to new area for me. I bet if someone learns the tricks against shields he is going to be one of the most powerful people in the field. Hybrid is the way to go there no doubt about it.

Yes it is inaccurate, but I like it because it makes the success even funnier :D.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2012, 05:17:31 pm »
You did that with the most OP throwing there is, heavy throwing axes.
Try using something less like war darts, franciscas, snowflakes,

I know. Killing something with those is a pain. I used to use war darts to snipe archers with. I could hit them over pretty long ranges and with 7+ PT, war darts will hurt the average archer pretty bad.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »
From my experience I've found throwing spears very useless. Well not fitting to my playstyle I mean. I either go with good accuracy and high damage jarids, or high ammunition war darts. Heavy throwing axes or lances are another options too of course. But war darts are best fitting to the situation if you have x1 in my opinion. You got lots of things to throw, with low cost.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2012, 09:38:18 pm »
+1
Given that the situation has been fairly static for awhile now, my interpretation is that throwing is intended to be like xbows. Not as a "pure" class, but to give options against otherwise unreachable cavalry or melee/archers that are fast enough to outrun you. Fast, accurate items like stars may not do much damage, but the idea is to stun the runner and allow you or others to catch up to them. War darts against a charging horse will do much better with the speed bonus or even more to the rider. Stun them and it prevents them from lancing you. (Just don't think you can do a side toss or at a retreating enemy and do effective damage)
Against decent throwers, once they are in short range against an archer, they are very effective counters with the faster throws. The archer has to dodge, which makes their reticule go wide, making them less accurate. Every thrower I've seen has better points in melee and armor than any archer, and are on par with grounded cavalry. Against melee they have a ranged option to whittle them down, and then stand a very good chance one vs one in the melee fight.

You have to be a hybrid, but overall I think that class has its distinct advantages and its own niche.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2012, 10:14:45 pm »
+1
Given that the situation has been fairly static for awhile now, my interpretation is that throwing is intended to be like xbows. Not as a "pure" class, but to give options against otherwise unreachable cavalry or melee/archers that are fast enough to outrun you. Fast, accurate items like stars may not do much damage, but the idea is to stun the runner and allow you or others to catch up to them. War darts against a charging horse will do much better with the speed bonus or even more to the rider. Stun them and it prevents them from lancing you. (Just don't think you can do a side toss or at a retreating enemy and do effective damage)
Against decent throwers, once they are in short range against an archer, they are very effective counters with the faster throws. The archer has to dodge, which makes their reticule go wide, making them less accurate. Every thrower I've seen has better points in melee and armor than any archer, and are on par with grounded cavalry. Against melee they have a ranged option to whittle them down, and then stand a very good chance one vs one in the melee fight.

You have to be a hybrid, but overall I think that class has its distinct advantages and its own niche.

I agree. My observations exactly.
My best thrower build was 18/18 with 6 PS, PT and WM. Split prof with at least 100 in a melee prof and the rest in throwing.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2012, 10:26:37 pm »
I agree. My observations exactly.
My best thrower build was 18/18 with 6 PS, PT and WM. Split prof with at least 100 in a melee prof and the rest in throwing.
I think that is exactly the build I'm using on my stf right now. Epic shit... Epic...

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 26, 2012, 01:13:47 am »
Man. I don't think this is as much of an issue with throwing as with the horse head hitbox being smaller than a pea  :mad: I had just shot a horse from the side, and then got a headshot....which it ignored.
While trying to find that horse, I found another one on the same map. Archer shot it from the front in the chest (ie speed bonus) and then you can see where a thrower got a DIRECT head shot from the front (ie with speed bonus) and the damn thing is still trotting around. Seriously, cavalry needs to stfu about their "paper" horses.

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #235 on: April 26, 2012, 06:11:59 am »
wardarts arent exactly horse killers.  for all we know that guy only had PT2

heavy axes will do SERIOUS dmg when headshotting the non-armored horses on the other hand

Offline djavo

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 120
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Salut
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HDZ_wing
  • Game nicks: Djavo
  • IRC nick: Kebab_Monteno
« Reply #236 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:46 pm »
Yeah it makes perfect sense that non armored horse with heavy axe in the head survives. FFS Conan knocked out Kamil in one shot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:12:03 pm by djavo »

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #237 on: April 26, 2012, 09:38:45 pm »
Wardarts don't do much damage to begin with, damage also depends on the speed bonus. If you shot it from the side, you don't get a bonus, which means you did dick for damage. Same for the archer.

However, shoot a horse in the face that is charging full gallop. Dead horse. Heavy Axes if you want to kill horses.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:15 pm »
Wardarts don't do much damage to begin with, damage also depends on the speed bonus. If you shot it from the side, you don't get a bonus, which means you did dick for damage. Same for the archer.

However, shoot a horse in the face that is charging full gallop. Dead horse. Heavy Axes if you want to kill horses.

You didn't look at that screenshot did you. Center of the horses face. Like I said, I think that unarmored horses have a pea sized hitbox. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are the same, but I nearly always kill an armored horse in 1 headshot with a bodkin. Unarmored, it is a total crapshoot as to what will happen.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 27, 2012, 12:06:29 am »
You didn't look at that screenshot did you. Center of the horses face. Like I said, I think that unarmored horses have a pea sized hitbox. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are the same, but I nearly always kill an armored horse in 1 headshot with a bodkin. Unarmored, it is a total crapshoot as to what will happen.
QQ moar. The hitbox is extremely easy to hit. Wardarts are not exactly designed to do anything else than annoying and stunning people.