Author Topic: Equipment Insurance - A Way to Fight Active Leeching/Gold Farming  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Dehitay

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: Equipment Insurance - A Way to Fight Active Leeching/Gold Farming
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2011, 02:00:59 am »
I listed a 7 weight build for archers that cost 16K gold. It wouldn't screw over them or any other athletics build. But that's just using MY numbers, that's not an issue with the concept.

Katana - 9376
Lameller Vest - 3342
Wisby Gauntlets - 4848
Boots + Helmet - Anywhere from 500g to 5000 depending on your preference.
18066 gold minimum for a heavy athletics build

The Lamellar Vests alone are 9.5 weight. Adding anymore armor weight on top of that will just increase the wpf penalty further. Granted agility builds don't get many kills, but they're good for distracting enemies while clanmembers pike them from the side. You're an attractive target in light armor, and people will foolishly risk their lives to attack you.

Personally, I agree completely with the suggestion mentioned in Kafein's post. Just made a different bank for Strategus. Hell, even make a different name for the currency so people don't associate them. Not only does it solve the problem, it's ridiculously easy to code.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2011, 08:56:56 am »
I posted this in the Strategus economy thread but I feel I should post it here as well.

Everyone hates when you get stuck with high level peasants on your team. While you're using your best and likely most expensive gear, they're using a torch and three plain cavalry shields with no other equipment. So I propose having a sort of "insurance" on your gear where, when it breaks, the insurance would pay for a portion of the upkeep cost.

Here's how I see it working:
1. Every tic of xp/gold that someone got, they would also get a tic of insurance gold.
     (This is necessary as each tic increases the chance of something breaking)
2. Insurance gold would be something like a static 40/50 gold per tic and would not be increased by a multiplier.
     (If it were affected by a multiplier there would be almost no reason to have upkeep to begin with)
3. Insurance affects everyone equally and the player doesn't have to pay a fee for this service, think of it as the faction you're fighting for is paying a portion of your upkeep cost.

Example 1) If my Bec de Corbin breaks after 4 tics of gold and xp, the normal cost would be 475 gold, insurance covering 50 gold per tic would amount to 200 gold, so you would end up paying 275 gold total, instead of 475.

Example 2) If both my Cased Greaves and my Bec break, 213 and 475 repair cost, after 5 tics you would have 250 insurance gold. This would pay off the greaves and pay the remaining 37 gold toward the next item that broke, which would be the bec. So you would end up paying a total of 438 gold for that round.

What this does specifically, is it completely removes the benefit of running around naked not trying to help your team win and only caring about making gold. Instead players would gain close to the same amount of gold naked, that they would in 15-20K worth of gear.

With this, to maintain close to the same income on average that people who actively participate in rounds with their best(or close to) gear currently have, gold per tic would need to be scaled back slightly to about 30 or 40 per tic from the current 50.

This would greatly affect strategus and keep people from being able to farm gold by running around naked as they currently do. Yes they could still run around naked with only one weapon, but there would be no advantage to it. Currently the best way to make the absolute most gold possible, is to play naked. With my system, this would change to actively participating with medium quality gear, not to be confused with medium weight, as this isn't the case at all.

I'm assuming that only players wearing armor would have access to that. and what is the point where you start making insurance money? and if you don't have armor, and just a weapon, it would reward you for not having one... a naked flamberge guy getting repair deductibles... eww...

i DO like the idea, however. it just needs to only work for people wearing armor with a certain price bracket, say 10k Armor (weapon not included). maybe, even price brackets; for 45k plate users, they can make 100 gold insurance instead of 50.

other than that, sounds good.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2011, 09:15:32 am »
+1

i DO like the idea, however. it just needs to only work for people wearing armor with a certain price bracket, say 10k Armor (weapon not included). maybe, even price brackets; for 45k plate users, they can make 100 gold insurance instead of 50.

Finally! someone i can legitimately rag on for actually wanting this to enable more people to roll around in heavy plate armour! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2011, 01:08:22 pm »
The Lamellar Vests alone are 9.5 weight. Adding anymore armor weight on top of that will just increase the wpf penalty further. Granted agility builds don't get many kills, but they're good for distracting enemies while clanmembers pike them from the side. You're an attractive target in light armor, and people will foolishly risk their lives to attack you.

Personally, I agree completely with the suggestion mentioned in Kafein's post. Just made a different bank for Strategus. Hell, even make a different name for the currency so people don't associate them. Not only does it solve the problem, it's ridiculously easy to code.

That example was used because it's the default weaboo set. You could easily go with the Studded Leather Coat to maximize your armor:weight ratio, cut weight by 4.5, and only cut the total cost by a mere 700 gold. If you complain about that armor, then you might as well just run around naked and if you're doing that, then you don't deserve to gain any benefits from this to begin with.

I'm assuming that only players wearing armor would have access to that. and what is the point where you start making insurance money? and if you don't have armor, and just a weapon, it would reward you for not having one... a naked flamberge guy getting repair deductibles... eww...

It's passive, with each tic of xp/gold one would also be getting a tic of insurance gold for that round. If the insurance, or buffer gold was not used entirely at the end of that round, the rest would be discarded. Meaning it doesn't carry over to the next round or get added to your actual crpg gold.

Only having one item equipped means you're losing about 3/4 of the effectiveness of the insurance. Which means from insurance at 50g per tic, your only saving your bank account approximately 12 gold per tic. This is because you only have one item to break. If that item isn't breaking every round, then the insurance isn't doing a single thing for you. So in fact, using only one weapon as per your example does not net much of any benefits at all.

And to the last two sentences: You've missed the point of this entirely it, as well as how this would function. What you're proposing is rather terrible and game breaking.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:10:22 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 01:06:39 am »
+2
Am I the only one who understood what this was about from the beginning? It makes it useless for nude leeching since you can have gear without paying for it, you can't use higher tier armours/weapons that much since the insurance is not high enough and the gold gain is reduced. It's too late for me to write down the maths but I did it in my head and this looks really good. +1 for the suggestion.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 01:26:11 am »
Am I the only one who understood what this was about from the beginning? It makes it useless for nude leeching since you can have gear without paying for it, you can't use higher tier armours/weapons that much since the insurance is not high enough and the gold gain is reduced. It's too late for me to write down the maths but I did it in my head and this looks really good. +1 for the suggestion.

No you are not the only one. Matey just wanted to look silly  :lol:

Also, what do you think about my suggestion, Tydeus ?

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2011, 02:14:00 am »
Sounds like a great idea.... However a simpler solution could be for admins to make a rule for required armour and no nekkidness? (Then again. they would just wear a cloth shirt...)

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2011, 02:35:50 pm »
No you are not the only one. Matey just wanted to look silly  :lol:

Also, what do you think about my suggestion, Tydeus ?
Well for starters, I don't think merged/coupled currencies are destined to fail, I don't see any reason for this to be the case. I think 1 crpg gold should be 1 strategus gold and vice versa. Everything in Strategus should just be very expensive and to balance that out, gold gained from owning a territory should be massive. If after, say, a month of the new strategus being out, 3/4 of the gold being spent in strategus also comes from strategus, I don't see crpg gold even being an issue to begin with.

The reason I don't like the multiplier idea is that I disagree with the idea that people shouldn't be able to transfer gold to and from strategus. If it has to come down to not transferring gold though, then at this time, I would be in support of your idea. The preference for me of course, is my system.

Also, your suggestion about giving a free masterwork to the owner of a fief doesn't really interest me at all. Not that I wouldn't want a free masterwork, it's just that I don't really see the point. Not to mention there would be difficulties with not being able to trade the item since it's technically not yours. Few people would be able to use the masterwork they got anyway.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2011, 04:28:31 am »
Shameless bump.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Beans

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: USA
  • Game nicks: USA_MEATMERCHANT_AMERICA
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2011, 05:26:30 am »
I think this is a good idea. Having there be no benefit for wearing 0 gold up to like 13k of gear(or whatever exactly) is a great idea. Right now it is simply more effective if your goal is just to gain gold to wear total shit.

Put a little info blurb on the equipment page next to the total gold cost of your gear saying how much you can wear before receiving any upkeep.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 05:29:43 am by Beans »

Offline Bromagi

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »
For beginners make a server that only people lvl 15 or below can enter but they make more gold so they get a decent starting budget once they are over level 15. I think putting a level cap on a server doesn't sound too hard to do.

-Brogg
"A pint of ale will make your nipples stale"- Brogg

Offline Cathaoir

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Quit raging about rageball.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cathaoir
  • IRC nick: Cathaoir
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 07:39:52 am »

Is it at all a possibility that you guy are bitching to leechers that dont even exist anymore?

that 99% of the people they kick, that are in the spawn, are talking
(heavens no! when i peasent leeched, i did it surrounded by people who accuse me too,not in some staircase or underwater where no ones at.) (sarcasm)

Just follow me here for a sec,
so if leechers are leeching underwater,
and your kicking players in spawn.
that helps the player to leecher ratio how?
It's not the size of the stick that matters, but who's swinging it.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 07:53:59 pm »
I think it's a pretty good idea, but it still won't stop people from going naked with a torch or something. I'm sure people would go in the low tier gear, but some people just like being naked and running around.