Author Topic: Katana's Thrust  (Read 8484 times)

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Katana's Thrust
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2011, 03:56:43 am »
make it around 20p, 40c and 99 speed. req 12.

plus i am no longer bias since I switched to hafted blade long ago and never intend to use a crappy 95 reach katana again.

That's really overpowered...

EDIT: Just compare it to other swords and you will see why.

Offline Gafgarion

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Ninja - Best Job Ever
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Pirate, Ninja_Ghost
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2011, 05:12:06 am »
+1
Do that now to glance less. You don't have to have 9 strength because that's its requirement. :lol:

Also, the stab is a joke. It's more of a liability than a decent option. Just remove it already, and maybe give one or two more cut damage on swings.

After playing with the Katana for the 2 months that I've been playing cRPG/warband I vote this as an option:

+2 Cut, fix stab.

I wouldn't say remove the stab (otherwise it's just an underpowered Miadao), I would just ask for it to be fixed in such a way that stabbing can actually do something rather than glance.

Then it would be a viable weapon as a MW (probably not as a regular Katana).

Was hoping for a Katana buff, but instead got a -1 Speed and +5-10% cost increase.

:cry:

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2011, 08:12:41 am »
+1

Was hoping for a Katana buff, but instead got a -1 Speed and +5-10% cost increase.

Like everyone else...

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2011, 10:21:30 am »
+1

The day the patch arrived Torak said that he hopes they finally fixed the katana. I answered "They probably nerfed it again".
That's cRPG. I'll just have to learn to live with it again.

Offline DesertEagle

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SB
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2011, 10:44:51 am »
Soon they will demand trust attack for scimitar stating that it was used fot it....
My cRPG movie
Market Analyzer - check what possible ways you have to get desired item on the marketplace

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:50 am »
+1
I talked to Urist a few days ago on IRC and he pointed out to me that with the new armor values the katana received a small buff since glances are mostly due to bad positioning now. I have had some success using the stab since the new patch but I have 7 PS and it still glances quite a lot, mostly on 40+ armor. Two extra pierce damage would solve most of the glance issues.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 05:49:42 pm »
+1
I also noticed that 5% of my suicidal katana stabs actually interrupt the enemy now. I even killed someone with it! (probably because they know from expirience it's not worth blocking it, just take the free kill, but he had very low hp, he had like 2 javs in his chest)

But it's still quite dumb that steel baseball bats and wooden practice swords equal and overpower a katana in stabbing damage...

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:21 am »
I recently rolled a katana spammer(atm lvl 22, 9 str, 21 agi) and it's super effective. Noone seems to be able to  keep up with its speed, even at this low level. It really profits a lot from the soak nerf. From my point of view it's fine.

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 01:29:18 pm »
You actually ever stabbed at someone wearing better armour then peasant robes? It's plain suicide, the best you can hope for is that your enemy gets stunnd, so he can't finish you.
And with upkeep increase, agi builds are more effective since people use less armour, and with dodgeable arrows agi builds are getting shot less.

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »
+5
I recently rolled a katana spammer(atm lvl 22, 9 str, 21 agi) and it's super effective. Noone seems to be able to  keep up with its speed, even at this low level. It really profits a lot from the soak nerf. From my point of view it's fine.

I would really like to see the katana become a decent weapon for all builds and not be limited to "spam" builds, making it more fun to use and less annoying to fight against.

Katana
weapon length: 95
weight: 1.3 - I would keep it the same to make the katana have a negative point
difficulty: 9 - Increase to 12
speed rating: 101 - Decrease by 1
weapon length: 95
thrust damage: 16 pierce - Increase by 3
swing damage: 35 cut - Increase by 2, otherwise it has the same cut damage as a regular bastard sword
slots: 2
Price: 9376

Now let's compare my ideal version of the katana with the longsword, an arguably better weapon.

Longsword
weapon length: 106
weight: 1.8
difficulty: 10
speed rating: 98
weapon length: 106
thrust damage: 23 pierce
swing damage: 36 cut
slots: 2
Secondary Mode
Price: 6660

The longsword would have 2 less speed than the katana but it has 11 more length points (very important), 0.5 more weight (less weapon stun), one less cut damage but 4 more pierce damage and secondary mode, which can be useful sometimes. EDIT: The longsword is also a lot cheaper.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:50:06 pm by Belmont »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2583
  • Infamy: 185
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 02:59:03 pm »
Longsword is simply a superior weapon in almost every way.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 03:47:15 pm »
+2
I agree with Belmont's suggestion. For it's price, katana deserves to be a bit better. Otherwise i'd just rather use a longsword/h. bastard sword.

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2011, 04:08:30 pm »
<Urist> the current katana stays at it is. you can try organising another, bigger katana model that would deserve your stats. maybe with 99 speed. that would then be a new item entry

We already submitted a completely new katana model a few months ago but sadly it did not make it in the patch due to last minute issues. We also submitted a naginata and yari. Here is a screenshot of the new katana model.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2011, 04:21:52 pm »
Now try to roll around with a longsword, a danish, or a big bad axe Urist, and you will see the difference in effectiveness.

I don't know anyone who is a  consistantly better dueler than you, as I have to try 20 times to beat you when you fight with a 1hander.. I'm sure you are deadly with a Katana build, as with any build. Just try to see the difference..

It's short range forces you to block the first hit of almost any enemy you encounter, even 1handers, harder to cut down passing cav, reaching that guy following you etc etc. In battle, range is king, and it's important to make up for lack of range, to balance out the katana.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:24:46 pm by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »
I don't really see the low range beeing a problem for agi builds with high athletics and low to medium armour.