Author Topic: Ready to quit, a new player's perspective after 2 weeks  (Read 4278 times)

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
Re: Ready to quit, a new player's perspective after 2 weeks
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2011, 07:18:34 pm »
Sure there is intentional teamstacking. I.e. people trying to get to the highest possible multiplier through clanstack.
Though,  that's often not really bad as there's many different clans and each team will often get good playere (also autobalance kicks in and moves people to the other side), it's certainly not the case that you can't win without clan.

It's almost as if you read 14 words of what I wrote and just decided to stop.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »
It is true that between player skill, battle situation, builds, equipment, level and all those factors, heirlooms seem to be worthless. But the battlefield becomes more and more equal in terms of player skill and game knowledge (what build and equipment is better/what you do better with). Everyone learns, and those that are already high don't learn as quickly. So even a few heirloom points do make the difference.

Offline SkyrayFox

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: SkyrayFox
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 11:14:30 am »
OP thought that if he plays cRPG for 2 weeks he will get a mighty black knight equipment that allows him to 1shot people like a hand of Zeus. Unfortunately to his surprise this game is based on skill and heirlooming is merely a nice addition for people who like to grind and work for that +2 armor anyway, even if it takes 60 hours. A generation 1 character can easily beat generation 30 character with MW equipment and top armor if he knows what he is doing.

Also there is no team-stacking on top populated servers, EU 1 battle server has a max 120 people. I did some tests on my own and it's pretty clear the auto-balance is working perfectly (I had 50% win ratio over a set of 350 rounds). If you don't believe me start looking at your W:L ratio and see for yourself. It's very hard to get past 50:50 over a long period of time on populated servers, even if you are one of the top players. Maybe you just had an unlucky losing streak, that's all.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 11:29:26 am »
It does feel like counter strike at times. But then i remember how it was a couple of nerfs back... or how native is...  :lol:

Also, when you think about it, this current xp/gold system rewards personal skill more than the previous one. Right now, you have to play so as to make your team win to get more XP and Gold. Before that, you simply had to survive as long as possible in the middle of the main clusterfuck. Cav/Flankers/Snipers and other people that did a large part of the killing got less than some shield-only leechers standing around in the middle.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:33:58 am by [ptx] »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 03:37:50 pm »
i have 150K and run around in plate most of the time, i really don't understand your problem.

Maybe its an NA thing?
Turtles

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 04:01:40 pm »
i have 150K and run around in plate most of the time, i really don't understand your problem.

Maybe its an NA thing?

HAX!!

Ban him!

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 04:20:34 pm »
HAX!!

Ban him!

I managed to do the same with one of my Alts, Lord_Soth. Pretty damn hilarious, just 30k of reserve money and he weathers it all out.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ozwan

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »
crpg is essentially medieval counter-strike

Well...
You should've seen it how it was before all big archery nerfs.  :lol:
It used to be way worse than native, which actually is pretty much all about ranged.
In real life, when people insult me (and it happens very rare, cos I am a big guy), I often punch them in the face.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 05:30:59 pm »
Well, if you don't like the core game don't expect to start liking it if you can level. I just like Warband's combat system, cRPG adds a persistent character, a pretty small, centralized community with recognizable players and a small reason to fight in the form of leveling. So I'm not sure if you like Native Warband, but if you don't, don't expect to like cRPG cause its still all about skill based pvp.

Money problems really don't exist, try not wearing plated and you'll be fine.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 05:35:59 pm »
It's almost as if you read 14 words of what I wrote and just decided to stop.

thats like the best way to approach forums, I stop at 1 word because I have been online since the 80's, no attention span, wtf thread is this
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 05:40:14 pm »
thats like the best way to approach forums, I stop at 1 word because I have been online since the 80's, no attention span, wtf thread is this

I disagree. Learn to play.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:33 pm »
Also, when you think about it, this current xp/gold system rewards personal skill more than the previous one.

I remember back before this xp system. Levelling was horribly slow for ninjas, because you didn't get any experience when flanking alone and not running with the mob. So for ninjas atleast it rewards personal skill. Not much teamplay.

Offline Joseph

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • I am your worst french nightmare.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »
Those outrageous repair costs are designed to keep people from constantly wearing heavy armor and making 95% of the server ridiculously hard to kill. If it's become a problem for you personally, you really should switch to lower cost armor until you've developed a money pile of your own. Hell, I'm sitting on top of 350K and I still wear crappy armor and have just as much fun.

But I will admit that the reward being based mostly on the luck of getting dropped on the right team is kind of discouraging. Of course, they can't change that till they can think of a fair way to change that. That's where this Suggetions Corner comes in useful. But just make sure to think through any suggestions before posting cause this is probly one of the forums with the most criticism, too

Make your own luck.
"Dam those peasants bite hard"

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 06:25:57 pm »
Make your own luck.

This.

Only new players should consider this luck. Veteran players should be able to "make their own luck" and create a noticable impact on the battlefield.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »
From 1-20 crpg feels like an rpg/mmog as you raise skills, attributes and get better gear.   At about level 25 this illusion crumbles as you see your bank account withering away just wearing mediocre weapons and armor (unless you know how to team stack).

I know all the old-timers who started 6 months ago are having a great time in their fully loomed sets sitting on their money pile trading away and gaming the system to hell and back, but the only kind of new player who would enjoy this mod is somene who wants simple pvp for pvp's sake, or a masochist.  The illusion of progression in any form (other than raw skill gained through practice) is just that, an illusion.  If you weren't playing this mod from the start, you are boned.

Personally, having returned to CRPG after a bit I find (again) the first levels(1-25) to be absolutely terrible. If anything I find one has to be slightly drunk to survive the endless rounds of rape one has to endure.

After that it is actually fun as one can compete even if one may be at a disadvantage to higher level/generation characters. I only wish it felt like that from the start as I think many a new player rage quits after seeing that they have little chance at low level.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 06:57:06 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.