Author Topic: About phantom reach.  (Read 1918 times)

Offline El_Infante

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tercio_Alejandro_Farnesio
About phantom reach.
« on: July 01, 2011, 03:21:03 pm »
Can someone explain phantom reach of curved blades? After talking a lot about it, I don't understand how it works.
Did phantom reach add more range that original weapon have? Did phantom reach only hit you before you "think" it's on range?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: About phantom reach.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:36:26 pm »
Well, every weapon is different with "phantom reach."

Take the Elite Scimitar for an example, I'm going to quote from Kafein's post this time.

It has a ghost reach because even if the end of the model is curved to the back, the collision model is an axis that follows the grip of your hand. So when your target is at top reach, you hit before the model actually hits. And that is not all, as the real reach is roughly the distance between your hand and the model end, it is greater than simply the distance between your hand and the projection of the end of the model on the axis.

- <- where your reach actually ends
|
  \|
   |
   |
_ | _
   |

in red : collision axis

As you can see, the weapon hits way earlier, because the egnine thinks it's a straight sword.

Range on the other hand, I don't know, but some weapons have a weird feeling of range if you ask me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:38:14 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »
It only hits earlier than you think it will, and when this happens quickly it looks like the weapon is longer than it should be. It often happens like this;

(click to show/hide)
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 03:48:24 pm »
The point being this: Phantom reach does not exist on any weapon.
Several (but not all) curved weapons have phantom speed since they hit before the model does. This does not mean the scimitar is faster than what is listed though. All weapons perform via their written stats.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 03:49:43 pm »
Many 1h/2h (not polearm) axes seem (for the user) to have their actual reach smaller than the weapon model. But maybe that's just me.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 04:14:44 pm »
The point being this: Phantom reach does not exist on any weapon.

A notable exception is the Bec de Corbin, which allows you to land a swing with the very tip of the spike instead of the crow's beak, allowing you to perform a tipslash with full swing damage instead. Another example is the Morningstar, which has its length calculated on the exact end of the ball. It might as well skid off the target's armor instead of killing them just from touch.

'Phantom reach' is basically caused by most of the weapons in cRPG having their length calculated at the very tip of the weapon. In reality you might have only been grazed, but you take full damage and possibly die from a shallow cut in cRPG.

MouthnHoof made a good post on this, as well.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:09 pm »
A notable exception is the Bec de Corbin, which allows you to land a swing with the very tip of the spike instead of the crow's beak, allowing you to perform a tipslash with full swing damage instead. Another example is the Morningstar, which has its length calculated on the exact end of the ball. It might as well skid off the target's armor instead of killing them just from touch.

'Phantom reach' is basically caused by most of the weapons in cRPG having their length calculated at the very tip of the weapon. In reality you might have only been grazed, but you take full damage and possibly die from a shallow cut in cRPG.

MouthnHoof made a good post on this, as well.
Yes, but they are accurate to their model length. Just because they hit with the tip and register damage does not mean they have phantom reach.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gafferjack

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »
Just because they hit with the tip and register damage does not mean they have phantom reach.

I guess it depends on semantics.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 03:10:43 pm »
I always had problems with the bec de corbin reach with the overhead. Always too short.
With 1hands though, no problems.

Phantom reach is but a feeling. (only true for one model of curved blade, and very slight :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

as you can see, the nsuniausniaunsianwedao has no ghost reach
1h reach is bigger than what you think and can expect. Once you get used to it, it's better.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 04:25:24 pm »
I really feel like my Miaodao and scimitars have phantom reach. Sometimes im completely surprised that I hit someone with a swing that was out of my usual range.