Author Topic: Archers  (Read 12778 times)

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
Re: Archers
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 12:57:12 am »
Yes, I can do this with cut. And you can do it too. With Mighty Great Long Bardiche for example.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also you'll have stun, reach, horse stopper and shield chopper with GLB.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 01:28:20 am »
If i have more PS than PD, am i a bad archer ? :rolleyes:
Seriously, spiked mace is... so good. I even consider using one for my 2h character. (what ? to spam it ? bahhh, no, no, of course not... ok, maybe a bit) I'll never heirloom it though.

If i only have 17 arrows, and i'm the last guy, and i have a backup melee weapon, and there's 2 min left remaining, can i run/jump/shoot if there's less than 4 ennemies, to actually try (and maybe succeed) to win this ? And then i guess i'll have to be sure an admin is there, so that when opponents poll me, they(admins) can change poll vote requirements to 99%.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, i become an archer because of other archers, cavs and very good 2handers players (and maybe because of ninjas too, special thanks to Thomek for training me in shooting him them), and i really like the strongbow build. People won't complain that you do too much damage, and you have sometimes this extra 0.5sec in shooting speed wich allows you to shoot a cav, unsheath your melee weapon, and down block just in time. Doesn't work against arabian horse, afaik.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Bija

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bija
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 02:25:24 am »
The whole concept of archery is honorless; to deal damage from range without the risk of taking damage. Ballistic weaponry is the very essence of self-preservation in combat as evidenced by modern warfare. There is no swords. The claymores of today will blow up in your face.

People should accept archery for what it is and move on with their lives.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 02:32:54 am »
Yes, I can do this with cut. And you can do it too. With Mighty Great Long Bardiche for example.

Also you'll have stun, reach, horse stopper and shield chopper with GLB.
50 armor is low when you're talkin about having to hit people 5 times, it's obviously not on clothies, so you should be looking at plate, so a minimum of 65 armor. Second, using one of the two highest cut damaging weapons is a bit aside from the point and the bec is an extreme case and the only weapon that lets you maintain retarded damage with an agi build. Try the danish, and a non loomed one at that. 154 wpf isn't realistic, you have to be naked to have that much effective wpf with a 21/18 build.

Try a Danish Greatsword (The most popular 2her) with a 21/18 build at 110 effective wpf against 70 armor. It could take quite a few hits to kill your opponent.

And with the original post from kekeeke concerning this aspect of melee which is a pseudo buff to ranged, I've thought the same thing which is why I switched to the bec. It's the only weapon in the game that allows you to have a 18/21 build and still do amazing damage against plate(the only melee worth making a counter-build for). I do more damage at 6 PS with my bec than I do at 9 PS with my miaodao.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:34:35 am by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 04:43:46 am »

I put it to you, my non-archer, bow-hating, level-headed fellow gamers: What do you want from the archers on your team?  What makes an archer valuable to you?  Would you prefer that archers keep their distance, raining in arrows from afar?  Would you prefer that archers are close enough to have your back in close combat?  What can I do, as an archer, to contribute more to our team?

I'm not an archerphobe and don't have any issues with them or any other class.  People should play however they want, that said, here's a few suggestions for archers playing siege.

1. This is mostly for reloading xbowers but archers too, try not to block the ramp.  The ramp is like a beach on D-Day, we want to move past it quickly so they can't hold us at a chokepoint. It's good that you're dueling enemy ranged but just keep an eye out and make sure you're not blocking the melee people from moving forward, especially when a ramp gets buggy and we need room to do a running jumps.

2.  On some maps like Ulbas (see spoiler) it's like walking into a firing squad if the defending archers are unopposed.  So maybe get closer to the walls and use a fast bow so it's slightly harder for defending archers?  Or if we don't have enough melee to push past the chokepoint, maybe temporarily pickup a weapon and join the mob trying to push our way in?

3. If there's a big mob of enemy on the flag and you're close by, try to move in to stop the flag from going down or at least get close to draw a few of them away from the flag so it goes down slower?  If there's 4+ people on the flag, chances are slim you'll be able to shoot them all before the flag goes down.  It's understandable that you can't do much without armor or melee weapons, and will probably fail, but it's always possible that a couple seconds delay might be just enough time for your melee teammates to arrive and clear the flag.  Thank you and goodnight.
(click to show/hide)

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 05:54:50 am »
People don't like archery because they feel like they can't determine the outcome of the fight.  If they lose in melee it's because they made a mistake.  If they lose to an archer it's because the archer did something good.

When I go archer you better believe I do a lot of running... not so much just focused on running away and drawing things out because that's lame, but run for a bit, jump back for a few swings, if I get some distance pull back out and shoot some more... keep alternating like that.  You have to use your strengths to your advantage.  If you are fighting toe to toe with the full melee heavily armored player when you have 2 ps and 8 athletics you're doing something wrong.

I've definitely noticed more hate when I go a gen as archer, but I know that I help my team win and that's just how it goes.

People need to deal with it.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 06:06:49 am »
There is only one thing i truly hate about archers, when they shoot into the mele. Ill be fighting some guy and just when im about to deliver the finishing blow i get shot in the back, staggered and killed. I know you have the best intentions but when people duel and strafe around eachother mistakes like these happen often.

In the begining of the round i would like to see archers dealing with horses more than shooting the mass miles away. Awearness is the key imo, how many times do i see enemy cav just walking behind our group being ignored like they are invisible or something and picking off blind fools. Thats the beggining, and when that phase ends i think they should focus on shooting the enemy archers if they get close enough to them. When the skirmish is over then they should pick off the rest of the mele

Ofcourse this is an ideal situation which, if realised, should ensure a win.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 06:21:22 am »
Yeah I have an archer alt, and I like it, it is fun, but I feel like I have a tendency to go tunnel-visioned as I can just keep firing; when I use my crossbow, I maintain awareness whilst reloading. I can't count the amounts of times I have shot into melee from all kinds of distances and hit enemies and allies, causing staggering and death by the other duelling combatant. Teamwork is lacking and archery just seems to prevail when there is a long distance to close between enemy forces, and not enough cover in between, or cavalry to harass them. I'd love to play a strat battle commanding lines of ranged cowards. "Release arrows!"  8-)
Professional poop cleaner

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 06:45:53 am »
+8
Archers shoot arrows at people from far away.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:35 am »
+1
Archers shoot arrows at people from far away.
This motherfucking quote. Thank you.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:43 am »
Archers are a fundamental part of Mount&Blade that are absolutely necessary to counter-balance what could otherwise be ridiculously overpowered classes/builds.

/ double facepalm.

I'm not even gonna bother with reading the rest.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Eldon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2011, 09:26:33 am »
I'm 18, 18 and I destroy archery with 250 ping. Just saying :P
Septlante_BRD - Archer

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:48 am »
I'm 18, 18 and I destroy archery with 250 ping. Just saying :P

This.

Low ping needs a nerf, it is currently op in melee.

Normal ping needs a slight tweak to allow it to compete in melee, while increasing the hax defence vs archers.

Chinese ping needs a major nerf, it is currently VERY op vs archers as teams can use fake hi-ping peasants to draw enemy fire. (And I've never met the archer who doesn't shoot at peasants)

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 10:06:26 am »
People don't like archery because they feel like they can't determine the outcome of the fight.  If they lose in melee it's because they made a mistake.  If they lose to an archer it's because the archer did something good.

People need to deal with it.

This is it.

I am going to go back to polearm because I don't find archery that enjoyable. Friendly archers love to camp (and I definitely don't like that), and when I go to help the melee guys, most of the time I got killed by cav as nobody cares to try to help me.

Also, finding out I can do more or less good with a long spear with 1 wpf proficiency (provided I know I'll suck in 1vs1) has helped much.

(And I've never met the archer who doesn't shoot at peasants)
Well, here you have one. I never shoot to peasants as they are useless. If I recognize any high skilled player in melee, I try to kill him first, regardless of armor. If not, I go to kill cav. Peasants are the last option.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:07:59 am by Duerkos »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 01:42:46 pm »
50 armor is low when you're talkin about having to hit people 5 times, it's obviously not on clothies, so you should be looking at plate, so a minimum of 65 armor. Second, using one of the two highest cut damaging weapons is a bit aside from the point and the bec is an extreme case and the only weapon that lets you maintain retarded damage with an agi build. Try the danish, and a non loomed one at that. 154 wpf isn't realistic, you have to be naked to have that much effective wpf with a 21/18 build.

Try a Danish Greatsword (The most popular 2her) with a 21/18 build at 110 effective wpf against 70 armor. It could take quite a few hits to kill your opponent.

And with the original post from kekeeke concerning this aspect of melee which is a pseudo buff to ranged, I've thought the same thing which is why I switched to the bec. It's the only weapon in the game that allows you to have a 18/21 build and still do amazing damage against plate(the only melee worth making a counter-build for). I do more damage at 6 PS with my bec than I do at 9 PS with my miaodao.

1. Sorry mate, if I see a lot of slow tincans, I'll take best antitincan weapon. From tincan point of view I'm very bad person.
2. I use mail gauntlets, green tunic over mail, and Mail Chausses. Yes, my effective wpf is 145-148. I can live with it.
3. If you prefer to use this overrated bankrupt's sword (I mean Danish) it's your choice. In 2H department many good, anti armor weapons - mallet, Persian Battle Axe, morningstar, bar mace, great bardiche, war cleaver, great maul.

Illustration with mighty great maul and 75 armor