Author Topic: Other Worthy Games?  (Read 13244 times)

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Other Worthy Games?
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2011, 12:39:28 am »
All the other computer games bow before Planescape: Torment.

Awesome game, for its time period. BG2 on the other hand is a timeless classic =)

Offline Ishar

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Mr Shitgrin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ishar_III
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2011, 01:56:40 am »
About Dwarf Fortress:

(click to show/hide)
Damn, this should be the absolute minimum. Slap on some GUI and it would be sooo awesome...
"Also, thank you for reporting your own post." Mylet

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2011, 02:53:23 am »
man i wish i was more interested in dwarf fortress now but it seems like there's no challenge for me any more

i even start with nothing, only my 7 dwarves, on the shittiest terrain i can find, and once i get them a constant food source and the start of a home, knowing that I can go on to build a mighty fortress from there, i get bored

i still play it now and again for adventurer mode

im hoping that when the army arc is completed etc, i will find more fun playing it again

Offline Noctivagant

• Earl
  • Renown: 470
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
  • I solve practical problems
    • View Profile
    • I never drank a six pack of warm beer
  • Faction: Mercenaries
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2011, 03:53:14 am »
moonstone
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2011, 04:20:32 am »
About Dwarf Fortress:

Damn, this should be the absolute minimum. Slap on some GUI and it would be sooo awesome...

Ya it would be nice to play straight through Stonesense, and plenty of fans have been calling for it for a long time.  It may happen someday.  You can set it up to run parralel to the game and update the image according to a frequency you set, so you don't have to look at the DF map anymore.  You still have to use the same old GUI, though. 

I had the same problem as you at first, though.  I was interested in the game for a couple years and looked at it a few times and gave up in minutes.  Then I read Boatmurdered and decided, "Ok.  That's it.  I'm learning this game.  Tonight."  After I was determined to push through the initial confusion, I found that getting playably comfortable with the interface only took a couple hours.  After a few days of playing, you can do most functions in the game reasonably quickly.  Of course it helps if you've played any roguelikes before.

man i wish i was more interested in dwarf fortress now but it seems like there's no challenge for me any more

i even start with nothing, only my 7 dwarves, on the shittiest terrain i can find, and once i get them a constant food source and the start of a home, knowing that I can go on to build a mighty fortress from there, i get bored

i still play it now and again for adventurer mode

im hoping that when the army arc is completed etc, i will find more fun playing it again

Been paying attention to the features of the next release?  It looks like it will change things a lot.  I imagine we'll have to be much more careful with our production and use of resources.  Politics/trading will also be more crucial.

For the sake of thoroughness

1.  The economy is going to be made completely dynamic with a real system of supply and demand.
2.  More in-depth food production processes and you'll actually have to care for your livestock.
3.  Ores are going to be made less common, making exploratory mining and selective use of metals more important.
4.  I think nearby civs may turn aggressive based on need for resources?  Not sure about this one, but I think I've seen mention of it.
5.  I'm especially excited about the effect this stuff will have on world gen.  It will actually simulate the rise, fall, and migrations of populations based on available resources, trade routes, etc.

Offline Toffi

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Honoured Guard)
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 01:39:50 pm »
Nice games have been mentioned so far, my best games would be

The Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind - epic atmosphere!!!

Age of Empires 2 - great oldie

Mass Effect 1 & 2 - I liked the atmosphere in these games, too

Offline Silentblade

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 01:48:38 pm »

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 02:51:01 pm »
Awesome game, for its time period. BG2 on the other hand is a timeless classic =)

Baldur's Gate II was, to me, the best game all-round till Mass Effect 2 came out. And that's...what...ten years later. The Black Isle/Bioware thing pretty much had a monopoly on my early teenaged years, when it came to PC games. Planning on playing through the entire Baldur's Gate series with a few friends soon, with hamachi. Should be epic.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 04:19:21 pm »
I saw someone suggest elder scrolls.  Check out this project coming out.  Looks pretty awesome!

http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g3SzQqf9KBM#

http://videos.videopress.com/oEHkzQ26/daggerfallatnight_fmt1.ogv

Daggerfall completely remade with a new engine?  Yes please!  I thought it was the best elder scrolls game.

Also please tell me the hair on the back of your neck does not stand when you hear "VENGEANNNCCCEEEE" in that second video.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Count_RisArch

• Noble
  • Renown: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Keep on Rotting in the Free World...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: RisArch
  • IRC nick: RisArch
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 08:12:42 pm »
The Dark Forces: Jedi Knight games, in particualr Jedi Outcast are still very good, even today. While I'll admit the shooting on Outcast was a bit crappy and Dark Forces 1 + 2 have dated somewhat (epic FMVs on 2 though!) the lightsaber combat system in Outcast and its sequel Jedi Academy is the closest I can think of to M&Bs. With the swing direction being controlled by movement and blocking done automatically (as in there is no block button just a % chance, with various modifiers) its not quite as precise nor quite as satisfying but the single player story mode, force powers and variety in multiplayer modes still make these worthy titles.

Also all of the other RPG's listed so far have been darn good suggestions, particularly the Bioware titles if you're a fan of narrative driven RPGs.

And kudos to the guy who linked Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines. That truely is one of the most epic (and underrated) games ever made and with the user made mods which increase both the amount of content and iron out the many, many bugs its perfectally playable now. It also strikes me when playing it that Bethesda either A) completely ripped off its conversation system or B) hired the Troika staff when the company went bust. The conversation screens are almost identical to Oblivion-Fallouts. It also makes me laugh how much better the source engine is at capturing facial emotion, despite being released in 2004 the expressions look much better than anything in any of the later Elder Scrolls or Fallout titles.
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.
Imperial Historian Duiker

Offline RO_FearMyArrow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • :)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bd_Catwoman, Guard_BD_FearMe
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:16 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6EMMhDCGo

Goose bumps anyone? :)

I would like you all old times gamers to try a very interesting title, Men OfWar. It's a game done by a small company that does not have to comply to stupid limitations due to retardness of current pool of players or console players.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 02:52:41 pm »
Funny to see you 'pro' struggle with dwarven fortress because of... dated graphics? And keyboard-only, text based controls?  :lol:

It's a game that takes a bit of reading and a bit of getting used to. Trust me, the keyboard controls are a blessing once you know them by heart.
And the graphics? Doesn't matter, isn't revelant for such a game.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 03:29:08 pm »
Just read about Dwarf Fortress and immediately downloaded it, currently in the process of having my world generated, very excited.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2011, 03:55:35 pm »
No idea. How did you dare? The developers are semi-gods for me.

If I had the money I would make a movie with that stuff - that would rock!

All those NPCs, Nines, Beckett, LaCroix, they are so awesome, its a shame really that Troika is no more.

But this is only another proof that quality alone is not enough. =(

Seems like it doesn't run with Win7  :?
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2011, 06:32:20 am »
Just read about Dwarf Fortress and immediately downloaded it, currently in the process of having my world generated, very excited.

If you need any help (and you almost certainly will at some point), the forums and wiki are both very nice.  Great community.