Author Topic: Nerf Longbow and Crossbows (And give back old textures on bows!)  (Read 7508 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Nerf Longbow, Buff Warbow! (And give back old textures!)
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:07 am »

Miight have something to do with those Chaos fellows wearing a crapton of armor compared to what we archers use, and thus get clubbed senselessly with the wpf restrictions.

At the practical limit of 7 WM at 30th level, the longbow does not have as tight of a reticule as an Arb' does, but if I take as much armor with my Arb' character as most people do then yeah the Longbow has a better reticule.

Longbow can move while reloading, allowing it to dodge and thus requiring less to no armor.  The Arb' must stand still for 2-3 seconds while reloading, as a perfect stationary target for ranged without the ability to dodge unless cancelling the reload.  It requires armor.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Longbow and Crossbows (And give back old textures on bows!)
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 07:40:16 am »
After another week of testing:

Longbow is the new number 1 bow, and a masterwork one with a 9 pd build and 149 wpf is gonna hurt, a lot.

The Arbalest is ridiculously accurate for the damage that it does, I can't imagine how accurate it is at MW level.
Dave with 168 wpf almost onehit me when I wore a Lordly Kuyak+plate mittens.

The servers I've been on lately are all infested with Longbows and Arbalests. Ranged spam has returned and its getting ridiculous, the team with the most longbows and arbalests just wins most of the time.

I suggest both get a damage nerf, I think xbow accuracy is fine if damage is lowered.

~Fishy
fail, u cant get 149wpf and 9pd.
After reading that i didnt even read on, i dont want to read lies

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 07:46:18 am »
fail, u cant get 149wpf and 9pd.
After reading that i didnt even read on, i dont want to read lies

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 27
Agility: 15
Hit points: 62
Skills to attributes: 14
Athletics: 3
Power Draw: 9
Weapon Master: 5
Archery: 148 (Character builder says margin of error of one or two points)

It is possible.

Native, go back to Melee where you belong and stay out of Range threads  :lol:
Longbow can move while reloading, allowing it to dodge and thus requiring less to no armor.  The Arb' must stand still for 2-3 seconds while reloading, as a perfect stationary target for ranged without the ability to dodge unless cancelling the reload.  It requires armor.
I agree. Regardless, your "required armor" is lowering your wpf thus making my point still stand.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:49:10 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 07:49:14 am »
148 listed, but not effective. PD lowers WPF.

And you realize native is a longbower this gen, and I believe has masterworked his longbow if I'm not mistaken.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 07:50:26 am »

And you realize native is a longbower this gen, and I believe has masterworked his longbow if I'm not mistaken.

I could have sworn that the Devs already disproved the PD lowering accuracy thing :/
And yes, I do realize it, and I have yet to be impressed. He is a fine fine melee user, but he has yet to grasp the "EZ Mode" of Pew Pew to my satisfaction. C'mone Native it is a point-and-click adventure!

EDIT: Regardless, you can make a build that has it, so the post in question is not "full of lies." Magikarp posted a build that is possible, end of story.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:55:52 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 08:18:33 am »
I could have sworn that the Devs already disproved the PD lowering accuracy thing :/

quite the opposite. They added the wpf penalty per PD point because PD increases accuracy per point. By having the wpf penalty, it not only stops the rail-gunners, but it helps nullify the accuracy boost.
And yes, I do realize it, and I have yet to be impressed. He is a fine fine melee user, but he has yet to grasp the "EZ Mode" of Pew Pew to my satisfaction. C'mone Native it is a point-and-click adventure!

A 1.3 kdr isn't too shabby. Better than your average archer. I get shot in the back by teammate 9 PD archers more than any other type of archer.

::On topic::
I would say out of all the ranged classes, bows need the least rebalancing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:20:08 am by Seawied »
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2011, 10:12:24 am »
I play with a MW Warbow, MW StrongBow, and a Khergit if there is a fast bow HA or Archer on the field that is annoying me. I still don't choose the Longbow over my MW Warbow or Strongbow, and likely would not even if my Longbow were MW too. Only if a ton of tincans were running around very slowly, to give me enough time to draw the string  :P

quite the opposite. They added the wpf penalty per PD point because PD increases accuracy per point. By having the wpf penalty, it not only stops the rail-gunners, but it helps nullify the accuracy boost.
A 1.3 kdr isn't too shabby. Better than your average archer. I get shot in the back by teammate 9 PD archers more than any other type of archer.

::On topic::
I would say out of all the ranged classes, bows need the least rebalancing.

KDR of 1.3 is fairly decent kdr over 100 battles or so. There are times, yes, when GrannPappy will get a 12-3, but just as often he will go 0-5 on the next map  :oops:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:14:12 am by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2011, 12:07:30 pm »
+1
Yes, on the rare map that doesn't have even a tree for cover. In all other cases, the crossbowman only ever exposes himself to ranged fire for less than a second to squeeze off his bolt at someone.

Oh, comparing crossbows to bows always leads to good things.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:09:20 pm by [ptx] »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2011, 12:46:30 pm »
They just should stop the possibilty to jumpshoot.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 03:08:51 pm »

PD doesnt lower WPF nor does it add accuracy. It used to lower accuracy, but they removed that.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2011, 04:01:16 pm »
Yes, on the rare map that doesn't have even a tree for cover. In all other cases, the crossbowman only ever exposes himself to ranged fire for less than a second to squeeze off his bolt at someone.

How dare you claim that my Apples are not Oranges!
They just should stop the possibilty to jumpshoot.
This will incease the amount of rage-inducing running achers.
PD doesnt lower WPF nor does it add accuracy. It used to lower accuracy, but they removed that.
Regardless, either way the build you were talking about is very possible and "not full of lies" so psh psh psh.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »

I agree that the comparison between bows and xbows is silly.  Personally I think they're both fine and doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I was merely pointing out WHY xbowers are almost always seen in much heavier armor than archers.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2011, 05:14:01 pm »
I agree that the comparison between bows and xbows is silly.  Personally I think they're both fine and doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I was merely pointing out WHY xbowers are almost always seen in much heavier armor than archers.
So you call xbows onehitting and longbows twohitting fine?
Come on, it's obviously not intended.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2011, 05:17:04 pm »
I think they should decrease all bows' damages for balance's sake.  Because a skilled longbowmen even can get you in one shot. Doing this is also effects HA's. I think their damage should be decreased. They can both shoot and ride away which is totally OP.

All my old friendcers now start crying about my comment. They would say no it's not that overpowered etc. But everyday people becoming more archers and it's getting more counter strike medieval.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2011, 05:21:32 pm »
+1
All my old friendcers now start crying about my comment. They would say no it's not that overpowered etc. But everyday people becoming more archers xbows and it's getting more counter strike medieval.

Fixed.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;