Author Topic: Nerf Longbow and Crossbows (And give back old textures on bows!)  (Read 7492 times)

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
After another week of testing:

Longbow is the new number 1 bow, and a masterwork one with a 9 pd build and 149 wpf is gonna hurt, a lot.

The Arbalest is ridiculously accurate for the damage that it does, I can't imagine how accurate it is at MW level.
Dave with 168 wpf almost onehit me when I wore a Lordly Kuyak+plate mittens.

The servers I've been on lately are all infested with Longbows and Arbalests. Ranged spam has returned and its getting ridiculous, the team with the most longbows and arbalests just wins most of the time.

I suggest both get a damage nerf, I think xbow accuracy is fine if damage is lowered.

~Fishy
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 05:55:32 pm by Magikarp »
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Nerf Longbow, Buff Warbow! (And give back old textures!)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 12:45:28 am »
I know a few dudes who still choose Warbow over Longbow to heirloom, and I also feel that there is a reasonable trade-off between damage, firing speed, and accuracy. Maybe it's not just stats that made them choose Warbow over Longbow, also :|

I would be down for a new bow being added with Warbows old skin, or just giving the old skin back.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Native_ATS

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 12:52:22 am »
Longbow is the new number 1 bow, and a masterwork one with a 9 pd build and 149 wpf is gonna hurt, a lot. The Warbow however does crap damage and everyone is dumping it.

I suggest these bows get tweaked so the Warbow is finally a good choice, the Strongbow and especially the Longbow are simply better atm!

~Fishy
no, warbow is fine. If you go 9pd 149wpf the war bow pwns all other bows
long is great vs tin cans, shit vs range and agi builds
warbow is good vs all do to rate of fire and damg

Offline Lactose_the_intolerant

• Earl
  • Renown: 460
  • Infamy: 71
  • Byzantium the intolerant, lactose_the_...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:55:20 pm »
+1
my only gripe with it it that it two shots even with heavy armor and if in the legs! op or not? dunno but i dont find it fun! (+ the ninja jump round preparing the shot in the air...)
makes it a bit unfair compared to my dedicated xbower that deals as much damage with an arbalest wich takes far longer to reload, cant shoot as far and cant move while reloading.

well im off before i get all the archer rage in meh face saying I'm QQing

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 11:57:47 pm »
makes it a bit unfair compared to my dedicated xbower that deals as much damage with an arbalest wich takes far longer to reload, cant shoot as far and cant move while reloading.

Nice, let us compare the wpf I put into my bow, then the wpf you put into your crossbow. the same? Cool...
How many skill points do I put into stuff like Power Draw, and how much do you... oh wait...  :mrgreen:

Everything has drawbacks and advantages.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 12:36:27 am »
I'm a dedicated xbower, so  like you pointed out we must have same wpf (mine is at 151)

yea your right for a hybrib, no points to be invested! but when it comes to firing, you more efficient with that longbow then me with my arbalest. and iv hardly got any better fighting capacities then you (not talking about skill)!

Offline kukufarikki

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 77
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lots and Lots of Jolly Knights
  • Game nicks: LLJK_EAZIO_CROSSBOTORE
  • IRC nick: papikkikikki
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 12:40:51 am »
Nice, let us compare the wpf I put into my bow, then the wpf you put into your crossbow. the same? Cool...
How many skill points do I put into stuff like Power Draw, and how much do you... oh wait...  :mrgreen:

Everything has drawbacks and advantages.

Even dedicated crossbowmen will be doing worse than a dedicated longbowman. Like you said, we don't have any skill points to assign, and if we did we would be one-shotting everything with our Arbalests. After trying out a dedicated archer skip to 30 character with a longbow, that thing needs to be nerfed to non-existance, as it can fire at least three arrows in the time it takes to reload an Arbalest and does as much damage if you are dedicated, and only has half the repair cost.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Gildiss
I saw Tears and Shik put a bag over Goatee's kind innocent head and put him into the back of a FEMA truck! WAKE UP CRPG!

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 12:59:59 am »
no, warbow is fine. If you go 9pd 149wpf the war bow pwns all other bows
long is great vs tin cans, shit vs range and agi builds
warbow is good vs all do to rate of fire and damg
I recently learned that using the longbow vs distant targets is pretty much a bad idea (though my wpf isn't that high). I think I went through most my arrows without even getting one hit. The warbow on the other hand is very good against distant targets.

my only gripe with it it that it two shots even with heavy armor and if in the legs! op or not? dunno but i dont find it fun! (+ the ninja jump round preparing the shot in the air...)

Archer probably had high powerdraw.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:01:47 am by Lichen »

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:22:24 am »
I recently learned that using the longbow vs distant targets is pretty much a bad idea (though my wpf isn't that high). I think I went through most my arrows without even getting one hit. The warbow on the other hand is very good against distant targets.

isnt longbow suppose to be a long range weapon?

oh yea people in lordly milanese plate get two shot by longbow  :rolleyes:

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 01:36:04 am »
isnt longbow suppose to be a long range weapon?

oh yea people in lordly milanese plate get two shot by longbow  :rolleyes:
IDK I'm fine with how accurate (or inaccurate) the longbow is. I know realism is not the ultimate thing when it comes to balancing a game but IRL they were used in 'volley' fire and I don't think they were super accurate. Powerful though? Yes. However 2 shots taking out a lordly milanese wearer does seem pretty ridiculous. I agree. If there was a way to have plate armors basically be invulnerable to archers it would be something to try. I know a lot of archers wouldn't like that much realism though.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:38:36 am by Lichen »

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:50 pm »
Come on, it's pretty obvious, all archers are moving unto the longbow, mostly because it's pretty damn accurate at the Masterwork stage.
I could imagine 2 fixes: Buff Warbow damage and nerf Longbow damage or remove accuracy bonus from looms.

And the new textures suck, please bring back the old ones, they looked much better!
Don't mind the fish.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 03:10:09 pm »
Actually, archers with longbow tend to get owned by archers with warbow, providing the same skill.
So yes, longbow is a tincan killer (well, more than the other cutting bows, that's sure) but the warbow is FAR from needing a buff.

For all xbows user whining about archery :
(click to show/hide)

Edit : Gurnisson, what armor are you wearing ? Poophammer told me that at 181 wpf, naked, it takes less than 1sec for his MW arbalest. :S Was probably exagerated and it's less than 3sec, wich is still perfectly fine imo.^^
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:50:29 pm by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:57:53 pm »
Actually, archers with longbow tend to get owned by archers with warbow, providing the same skill.
So yes, longbow is a tincan killer (well, more than the other cutting bows, that's sure) but the warbow is FAR from needing a buff.

For all xbows user whining about archery :
(click to show/hide)

What he said. A build that is entirely focused on range will do very well with a crossbow as it will with a bow. Most of the people I see who complain about "xbows unfair lag behind" have "wasted" points in powerstrike and other rubbish things that us archers don't have the points to spend on. Dark Karma does perfectly fine with the Arbalest, so can you...

As for the Longbow being better then the Warbow, I do agree with a lot of people that right now the Warbow could use a little more attention, either add a point more of damage to the Warbow or subtract one from the Longbow, something to make it a bit more appealing to use the more expensive "best" bow. I still prefer the Warbow though because it can actually defend itself against even Strongbow users, where as I don't have to try particularly hard to defeat or chase off a Longbow user in an archer duel.

Right now the Warbow offers an interesting compromise between the Strongbow and the Longbow, but it does need to be bolstered somehow (with either a very small nerf to LB or a very small buff to WB) as it does lag a little behind in my eyes.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »
Gurnisson and Poophammer are doing perfectly fine with their absolute accuracy at even long range, and less than 1sec reload speed at 160 and more wpf.

Crossbowmen are strong and deadly accurate at high wpf investment, so you've got a fair point, but the reload speed you're talking about is so way off. I'm standing with my ass up in the air for at least three seconds when reloading a MW Arbalest with 180 wpf, when archers can reload their bow on the move. Archers work in the open, crossbowmen don't. Archers and crossbowmen have different playstyles, different positive and negative things comes with them.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 06:59:52 pm »
In my clan, Hanzo uses the warbow and he sometimes top the scores. He excels at aiming from a long distance, and at close distance he usually does headshots.

If I end on the other team usually Hanzo slaughters me and my Long Bow.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login