i always need that 1 athletics
18 (8.3%)
i love athletics
170 (78%)
RIDE OR DIE(0 athletics)
18 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 218

Voting closed: June 24, 2011, 08:05:32 am

Author Topic: Athletics?  (Read 7254 times)

Offline tankmen

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Athletics?
« on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:26 am »
i got to thinking, how many people out there do not get athletics? most do, i have never in my entire 22 generations gotten it.
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Re: Athletics?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:08:24 am »
The best part is you haven't suffered any bit less in combat effectiveness, tankmen. I always wondered what your build was to have so much strength, hp, and ride a champion charger.

it all makes sense now. No athletics. And you are hardly outran except for the fact you wear heavy heavy armor...
lol
what do you do?
24/15 with 8 PS/5 iF/5 Riding/ 5 WM?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:13:52 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Kenji

• Baron
  • Renown: 140
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Casual Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:03 am »
18/18
3 Ath / 6 Riding

Since I have a tendency of getting off my horse and fight an opponent toe to toe sometimes.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:17:10 am »
I always get athletics, however since I actually wear armor with weight of 9 or more it really seems and has seemed for a while like a waste of points.  Especially as more and more players have said just like you that they never bother with athletics and they still move just as fast as I do unless I run around nekkid.

I have 6 now and I've gone as high as 9 in the past and regretted it as str builders kept up with me in footspeed during duels.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:19:29 am by Gorath »
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline tankmen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:22:21 am »
so far by the poll no one but me has voted for 0 athletics.. i voted for ride or die duh, my builds 21/15 :D
The purpose of wearing plate has become nothing more than crippling yourself to look like a knight... or maybe its my lack of athletics

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:40:39 am »
If you wear even medium armor athletics stops being worth it, thats actually how I kill people on my full str character; they expect to be able to dance circles around me in full plate just because they have 5 athletics or whatever but in reality I can keep up with them fairly well if I wear lowish armor.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 08:51:02 am »
If you wear even medium armor athletics stops being worth it, thats actually how I kill people on my full str character; they expect to be able to dance circles around me in full plate just because they have 5 athletics or whatever but in reality I can keep up with them fairly well if I wear lowish armor.

This is the problem with athletics that should be fixed.  It's silly that agi/athletics basically gives no benefit which is why damn near EVERYONE is a str builder nowadays.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 11:19:24 am »
I don't know what you consider str build, but most people have at least 12-15 agi and I doubt they do not max (4-5) athletics. It is also hard to differentiate between the boost of agility to running speed vs. athletics. I certainly feel the difference when I level up, but I can't tell if this is because I increased agility or athletics (I normally use light to medium armors 5-14 weight).

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 11:32:57 am »
This is the problem with athletics that should be fixed.  It's silly that agi/athletics basically gives no benefit which is why damn near EVERYONE is a str builder nowadays.

What are you, high? Enjoy turtling around, I'll be way the hell over here with my 6 ath.

Of course weight slows you down, but it does nothing to diminish the effectiveness and importance of ath. Ath/AGI helps a lot to offset those penalties.
Don't.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 11:33:44 am »
WOW, athletics is one of the most important skills, none of the "good" players have less than 6.
Athletics is just as important as weapon master.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 12:18:07 pm »
What are you, high? Enjoy turtling around, I'll be way the hell over here with my 6 ath.

Of course weight slows you down, but it does nothing to diminish the effectiveness and importance of ath. Ath/AGI helps a lot to offset those penalties.

I'm always high. I suspect Gorath is too.

^Joke.

WOW, athletics is one of the most important skills, none of the "good" players have less than 6.

My point is that high athletics/weapon master does help a lot, but aren't absolutely required to be competitive and aren't as mandatory as you may think.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline tankmen

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 12:38:08 pm »
well its a good fucking thing i don't walk then like the rest of those pla- peasants, i ride a horse , 2 riding = all your athletics

and now to post a humorous video i just watched that involves horses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 02:46:06 pm »
I currently have an AGI build with 7 Athletics. I'm not by any stretch a good player (though I'm getting better) but I have chased down archers while wearing mail before. Of course, with only 5 PS I'm usually swinging a wiffle bat in effectiveness.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 03:10:38 pm »
They need to take a look at athletics.  They need to buff them.  Matey made a thread about it.  I hope the devs are looking into it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Gheritarish le Loki

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 42
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 03:34:24 pm »
They need to take a look at athletics.  They need to buff them.  Matey made a thread about it.  I hope the devs are looking into it.

Devs said that they didn't touch at atheltics, no modification on january patch, i guess it's true, imo what have been nerfed is armor weight malus. So if you wear more than 9lbs (or 7,5?) you will be slow down.