Author Topic: fix pikes?  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: fix pikes?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 12:56:56 am »
More like 10-20
Name 5 (five) dedicated Eu pikemen please.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:39 am »
I don't know...you guys are arguing for pikes, but in the past month or so I've seen a dramatic increase in pikes being used in close combat. Fact is it can hit you even when you're far past the head of the pike and it is bloody quick in the hands of a high level build. Hell just look at badger...he tops almost every round he's on and he uses just a pike.

Just like any good player.

It can stun and the majority of pike users (I always follow them in death cam because I'm interested) can hit a guy, stun him, and hit him again quickly without even a pause.

No. It's exactly like spam. If this happens, the enemy either has a bad build, or is interrupted, or just didn't pressed rmb to block it.

The fact they rarely glance off armour (unlike most other polearms) means they do the ultimate thrust damage most of the time.

Sure. The fact that they have one of the weakest thrust damage of polearms and long reaches makes them actually the weapons that glance the most.

In all honesty I'd like to see a complete over haul of pikes. Make them sheath able, however make them only able to be used in a stance in order to be anti-cav. Don't bull crap to me about it not being able to be done because other mods do it. X mode is perfect for it and I've heard from various people it's relatively easy to implement. Other mods use other buttons such as Q to make a stance mode.

Will hardly be balanced. Currently, horses are so maneuvrable that pikemen nearly have to wait for cav to run into their pike. If cav are clever and don't blindly charge in, pikemen have to wait and survive the enemy fire with just a hope of seeing some cav guy not turning it's back at them 2 meters before they reach the pike and evade.

There is absolutely no argument for why a pike can be used to top servers, or at least get a K/D when they aren't being used as anti-cav.

There's absolutely no argument for why a pike couldn't be used to top servers, or at least get a (good ?) K/D when they aren't being used as anti-cav. Without support, the pikeman is dead, unlike 2h/poleaxe spammers.

I often play my pure pikeman alt Kofilin, and Robert from my clan is a pure pikeman as well. I also saw Joxer playing on EU servers but not that often so I suppose he's NA. I think some shogunates are pure pikemen too.

But it's clearly just an emerging class at the moment. The abundance of horses makes it worth the natural drawbacks, so I bet more and more people will be pure pikemen in the future.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 07:46:14 am »
I play dedicated long spear ( :rolleyes: ) guy. What I said was good melee pikeman. There is plenty of dedicated pikeman but such is the nature of the weapon that only craftybadger is good with it in melee.

[Add] No I'm EU btw :)
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2011, 10:12:58 am »

Joxer the Molester, Dado the Backstabber, Robert the Old Perv, Bifi the Angry German Kid and CraftyBadger the Haxer. Shall i continue ?  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2011, 11:08:28 am »
Out of all people mentioned above only Craftybadger (Dado is better with awlpikes imo, we're talking about pikes/long spears) has some chances to beat decent people in a 1v1 situation or a duel.

My point was, getting killed by a long spear / pike in a 1v1 is like getting killed by a wooden club. You have just been embarassed and outclassed by an obviously good player and instead of respecting his dedication to a very underpowered (for 1v1s) weapon, you come on the forums shouting "NERF!!!1". You should feel ashamed and start practicing more, yet you try to cover your shame with pathetic  excuses like " the pike's speed is too OP" .

Whenever i get killed by a pike in a 1v1 (which is quite rare, this is not bragging, it's simple game mechanics), i know this is only because i failed and the guy is skilled with his weapon, not becaue he's "OP".

Pikes/Long spears are very good in big group battles,  pretty much anyone can do it to some extent and i honestly find nothing wrong with it, i actually like how sometimes the evolution of warfare in cRPG  somewhat  resembles the changes that were happening in real history. Using long pointy things in a battle was a  smart tactic all over the world .

P.S. CraftyBadger is the only pure pikeman in the Shogunate atm.  Btw even he glances alot in the heat of the battle.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 12:05:11 pm by Shogunate_Ujin »

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2011, 12:20:16 pm »
+1 to Oda.
It is true that pike is awesome in groups and i guess we will see a lot of them in strategus.
They lack in 1vs1 and thats their weak side.

Its ok that some weapons have great group combat abilties if they are weak in another area.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2011, 12:23:57 pm »
Anyway, even if there are very skilled pikemen that can effectively fight 1 on 1 with other players, it's really not what they are the best at. It's pretty much like if archers decided to charge in melee. It can work if they are better players than enemies, but it's not a good tactic.

The pikeman is sort of more OP when he fights with his mates. I still have to see a thread complaining about pike+shield teamwork, yet it is one of the deadliest combos there is.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 01:54:10 am »
Compromise when WSE is/if implemented Make pikes and longspears really low damage. But give them a "bonus vs horse" where it functions like a "bonus vs shield" for axes. This way they have a niche and will still be very valuable. But they cannot be abused by hitting through team mates into infantry.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 02:06:55 am by Siiem »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 02:18:22 am »
Pikes are not OP, if they were more people would be using them instead of letting cav run our ass over.

Yesterday, i spent an entire round trying to get my team to use pikes/long spears because the enemy was camping a seige flag with 7 robo horses. No one listened (like always in seige) so it was pretty much me vs 7 cavs, the rest of my team were just fodder.

I've fought craftybadger once, and even with high lag he still beat me with his long spear, but only after a protracted, annoying duel.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 02:22:57 am »
I've basically never have had any trouble at all spamming any long spear user, once i get close enough. They can hardly block, even. Using it in 1v1 as cav/pikeman myself... well, against poles/2h i might stand a chance, since i'm pretty experienced with this weapon, but against a decent shielder i can only expect to be spammed.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 03:24:06 am »
then real problem with the "pike" (note not the "long spear") is that you can stood behind your teamate's huscarl shield with your pike sticking through it and thrust at enemies who can't see you, the length of the weapon means you wont hit your team mates and you can be attacked, this is clearly bullshit and looks retarded. Clearly the dev team has not learnt that having super long weapons (loony toons axe / LoC come to mind) really fucks up the game and makes it look like a joke, there is really no need for the pike as the long spear provides adequate anti cav abilities and WILL out-range any lance.
Turtles

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 08:40:11 am »
then real problem with the "pike" (note not the "long spear") is that you can stood behind your teamate's huscarl shield with your pike sticking through it and thrust at enemies who can't see you, the length of the weapon means you wont hit your team mates and you can be attacked, this is clearly bullshit and looks retarded.

Not to mention you can do the same trick with the walls :3

Offline 22nd_Hawk_Cmdr_Harlequin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2011, 11:53:30 am »
+1
Just got triple point-blank stabbed by a goddamn pikeman, cause of the shitty spin.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2011, 12:31:50 pm »
L2P
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline 22nd_Hawk_Cmdr_Harlequin

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »
Ah right, I'm supposed to beat a pikeman that can hit faster than me, moves faster than me, and can spin hit me at point blank range, some times dealing over 50 % hp. Ok, thanks for the information!

Looking for someone to teach me, then.