Author Topic: Archers buffed too much  (Read 23744 times)

Offline AssPunisher

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Archers buffed too much
« Reply #225 on: January 13, 2011, 02:34:58 pm »
+1
How long does it take for you guys to realize that its all about rock - paper - scissors balance?

Anyway, archers basically stand no chance against shield users and even the cheapest shields can take a dozen of arrows before breaking down. Actually, it takes one very skilled archer to have any chance at all in 1-on-1 against any other class of equal skill/level.
Furthermore, against archers you can always zig-zag and its damn hard to hit you that way, not to say we need around 5 hits to kill you if you wear a 10-15k armor, and most of you do after upkeep costs were reduced. As an archer, I die after 1-2 melee hits only wearing my lamellar.
Archers to be efficient must spend most of the skill points to archery and very few points is left for melee skills. Many archers don't even go melee for that reason. So, in general, if you get close to an archer you win.
Archers are having a hard time hitting a moving target, especially in long range. At the begining of every round a team that rushes to village is always under a salvo of arrows and how many die? One or two if the team in a village is lucky but usually no one.

The only situation when archers (not one archer... archers) can cause some serious damage to opposing team is when shooting  in a cluster of enemies close to mid range. Or killing cav's horses.

My main char is a Ninja wearing a lamellar and I am usually a primary target to enemy archers but since my alt is an archer I know its not easy to play as one.

EDIT
Pierce to cut damage and longer animations doesn't sound like a buff...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:36:35 pm by AssPunisher »

Offline Lanic0r

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 13, 2011, 02:58:41 pm »
yeh ninjas got it, thats why i force to them especially samurais :D
and its that thing makes crpg better after patch:
you got no shield? np play in team and follow your shield inf close!
you play 2h only? buy a 0 skill shield and take 2 with you or even 3!
you got nothing and standing in open field? run zig-zack!
your a horse lancer? ride zig-zack or jump!

Oh i forgot to say what the thing is makes crpg better, ITS THE TEAMPLAY!
In most cases its teamplay makes you win, not one archer up in the hills.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:17:34 pm by Lanic0r »

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2011, 03:26:40 pm »
+1
Hell yesterday was so fun to see teamplay form the enemies...i shoot an archer (better armor than me but not so good as archer)...normally no problem for me but a teammate with shield was standing infront of him and i hadnt any chance so i must flee ;)

the only problem why all whine about the archer is that the noob 2h spammer want an easy time so they can go on a killing spree...

i think the game is pretty balanced right now...though my archer die from crossbows very often...sometimes i think crossbow have better accuracy than bows+the damage and holding aim...but whatever, when they need 100+ wpf in xbow for this i have no problem with it...

though i would like to have wpf requirements for xbows and they can a little bit cheaper...1k-1,5k gold would be enough
...horses dont know i play only siege at the moment xD
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Webb

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Taylor Gang
  • Game nicks: Ink_My_Whole_Body
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »
+1
Most of the people who are complaining about the archer buffs are strength melees who put nothing into athletics because it is pretty easy to dodge an archer.  And they also have no proof since they just make random statements as "oh i was just on the server and i got killed by an archer blah blah blah"............it doesnt mean anything...melee and cav should not be able to free roam and kill everything at their own will they need some type of threat so I still don't understand why people are whining about archers and the last thing I will never understand is when people think that pre-patch was how the archers should be, if you truly think that then you are a complete idiot lol they sucked and couldn't do shit for their team
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:55:51 pm by Webb »
You know what it is

Offline Nihtingale

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Is it retarded enough?
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2011, 06:28:18 pm »
+1
yeh ninjas got it, thats why i force to them especially samurais :D
and its that thing makes crpg better after patch:
you got no shield? np play in team and follow your shield inf close!
you play 2h only? buy a 0 skill shield and take 2 with you or even 3!
you got nothing and standing in open field? run zig-zack!
your a horse lancer? ride zig-zack or jump!

Oh i forgot to say what the thing is makes crpg better, ITS THE TEAMPLAY!
In most cases its teamplay makes you win, not one archer up in the hills.
All your advices suck a huge meatstick along with teamplay when there're scores of bundle of sticksing archers shooting from every directions including skies. And real teamplay is just IMPOSSIBLE in cRPG, it's not Native clanwars between professional clans like in ENPL, you silly troll.
Problem is not so much in archers OP as in too high attraction for noobz. 5 pro archers make same damage to opposite team as 25 noob archers. I want those 5 pro archers back and not seeing 25 noobz shooting like hell all the time. If that means nerfing whole archer class - so be it. Period.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:26 pm »
+1
Salmongod, any class can go 2-0 or even higher at level 1. It all depends on the skill of the player.

Any class can do 2-49, archers can do 2-0 at level 1 *hint*...

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #231 on: January 13, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »
+1
Heh.  I think the likelihood of accomplishing this with a melee character is incredibly slim by comparison.  You're slow and weak.  You can walk clumsily up to another melee character, tap him on the shoulder, and say "please kill me".  Your only hope is to find another low-level peasant who isn't tagging along with anyone stronger.  Unlikely.  You have to play some really good hide & seek or run a deadly gauntlet to find that unlikely target, especially since you're an archer's favorite meal and you might have saved a shield made of glass for your peasant if you've recently retired.  Player skill helps, but you're just plain slow to start.  Everyone else will be running and attacking much much faster than you and hitting much harder.

Then there's archer.  Stand back.  Shoot.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that.  Sure archers are an easy start from the get go, but I don't think they improve nearly as fast as any of the other classes as time goes on.  .200 I mainly used a short bow since that's what I could instantly afford and had an average KD:R of like 2:8.  When I finally got around to the khergite bow it increased to about 2:5 and didn't start getting into the positives until I practiced manual blocking with the computer in native. 

The upgraded equipment and stats didn't help me as much as getting better at the game in my opinion - you play an archer the same way from the beginning to the end.  Shoot at someone, hope you hurt them or get a kill from someone who's already hurt, and then shoot someone else who isn't looking.  Or the same guy if he still isn't zigzagging  :).  Anyway while the other classes tend to start off weak, in the end I usually see them them topping the leaderboards because things do get better for them later in the game.

Archers stay the same, and I don't see anything wrong with this from a gameplay perspective.  Skill is more important I think because when .210 hit my KD:R did not change at all, still got half my kills from my iron staff.  Only thing I'm peeved about is there really are too many archers now - I don't like to do popular things.  But there's really no point in starting a new class because once the next update comes and nerfs archery a bit the bangwagon will hopefully go somewhere else and I can enjoy my class.

Seriously this one time I shot a horsie charging at me and when it took a dirt nap, 3 arrows came from three different directions to kill the rider before I could finish my reloading animation >.>  So.. many.. archers...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:34:34 pm by Kaelaen »
-idlewind

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 13, 2011, 06:37:59 pm »
+1
 I dont know about you fellas, but before the patch with my level 35 HYBRID polearm/archer I could go 7-0 with a longbow in a round. Now with a PURE (1 wpf in melee, all points into wpf for bow) archer I am lucky if I can squeak out a kill in a round. I Don't really understand what these anti-archer posts are all about. Most players have given up the class entirely, or are forced to use rinky dink horse bows at close range. I would suggest that some players who complain about the class actually try it out for a while and see how you do.

Offline Ashrik

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LOTS AND LOTS OF JOLLY KNIGHTS LOTS AND LOTS OF JO
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Ashraa
« Reply #233 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:09 pm »
I would really like to see a lvl 1 archer with 0 wpf go 2-0. That's pretty amazing with a reticule larger than your fist  :mrgreen:
The argument holds as much water as one saying that rocks are OP because you threw one and got a headshot.
I am Uhtred_III_of_Bebbanbawler.

I answer to no man.

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #234 on: January 13, 2011, 07:41:12 pm »
+1
Not at all

(click to show/hide)

Offline Amadeo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 13, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »
+1
Kill people as a lvl 1 archer sounds like BS to me also... unless you are talking a multi gen character. I was level 11 before i got my first kill, and this is my first character.

I played my archer yesterday for the first time since 2.0. Pre 2.0 i could usually get a 2-1 KD ratio (except on cav maps!). While leveling back to above lvl 20, i had only 2 maps where i ended up above 1-1. Now i dont claim to be the best archer, i'm probably average or a little better (when i play this char a lot) so i think average results are representative of this average player. Also, i didnt find hitting people's feet below their shields to be easy ... the one time i succeded the guy didnt die and was now close enough to clobber me.

That said... so what if an excellant archer gets a great k/d ratio? Does anyone cry nerf when Balb or Gore top the charts? So why cry when only of the best archers in the game does? Seems to me that the best players will top the charts with their builds ... and that is working as intended.

For me, i'll be happy with my 1-1ish ratio on both my archer and my awl-and-boarder and enjoy playing a game.

Offline Amadeo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:47 pm »
+1
Not at all

(click to show/hide)

What is this? You found a someone with a headshot arrow in their corpse and took a screen ... what is this meant to prove? Headshots happen?

I must have missed the post explaining this.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #237 on: January 13, 2011, 07:55:23 pm »
+2
Just little infos :

-  Almost everybody grab a shield and run in zig-zag (like stupid monkey), nobody say that it's not normal.

-  It takes many strikes for a 1hander to kill a horse, just a few less for a 2handers and polearm (except polearm stop the horse).
The main difference is the range, an archer shoot them far away, but infantry must take the risk to be strike back by the horse rider...
One more thing, whem i play my archer alt i don't shoot the horse but the rider.
So before told to inf to stop whining, start by not complaining of how much you need arrows to kill a horse, it's'ridiculous.

I repeat the problem is not that archers are OP, the problem is the number of archers that spam the server, few are good, many are noobs, but as much as archery is easymod as much we will have more ppl playing archers(specialy noobs).

I don't want a rollback to .200, archery needed a buff, but not as is it now.

I don't like melee monday, i love archers, and flying arrows give a good sensation of a battlefield.
But i never played counterstrike, and i don't like this mod becoming a medieval cs.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:16:47 pm by Blondin »

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »
+1
What is this? You found a someone with a headshot arrow in their corpse and took a screen ... what is this meant to prove? Headshots happen?

I must have missed the post explaining this.

That would be me, dying to a random arrow from over a hill 500m away again. Yeah.. it happens... a lot.

Sorry, i'm just tired of the archer spam. I want something to be done to reduce the number of archers, that's all.

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
+2
The gameplay looks more and more like the old version, first 2-3 minutes melee hides waiting for archers/throwers/xbow to finish their spam :|