Author Topic: Archers buffed too much  (Read 24406 times)

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Archers buffed too much
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2011, 09:58:04 am »
Sigh...the problem is not in luck,or in skill.The problem is in gameplay.I dont want to catch all round arrows and throwing weapon,I want to fight in melee,I want to fight against cav,I want violent charges.But now I am hiding in stones and trees...medieval battle.I dont want ranged weapon to disapeare,but they should be nerfed,until infantry and cav will feel enough freedom.
 I tryed a bow yesterday.Warbow,6 PD,0 wpf,45 armor weight.I never tryed it before,few times in native.And I made good shots on long distances.From village to an enemy resp...three shots,three hits...are you kiding me?Shielder runing towards me.5 shots,2 randomly came to his legs(norman shield).And you say dont whine,learn to dodge and buy shield.Now I understand that all this talking about useless archers are just bullshit.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:04:59 am by DarkFox »

Offline cutsomecheesewithmybow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Hangover everyday.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dew
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2011, 10:17:50 am »
Shielder runing towards me.5 shots,2 randomly came to his legs(norman shield).And you say dont whine,learn to dodge and buy shield.
You managed to shoot 5 times using a warbow (with 0 wpf btw) into a shielder running towards you?
Now I understand that all this talking about useless archers are just bullshit.
Same as your lies, you're pitiful.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:20:00 am by cutsomecheesewithmybow »

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2011, 10:44:04 am »
You managed to shoot 5 times using a warbow (with 0 wpf btw) into a shielder running towards you?
And why not?The distance was quite long.
Same as your lies, you're pitiful.
No,you are pitiful,because you dont want to see the truth.Archers are easymod.And you play in easymod.For now,at least.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:46:12 am by DarkFox »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2011, 10:47:17 am »
While I am not a big archer supporter, and I am usually the first to laugh when they get nerfed. I must say that they aren't THAT much unbalanced. Maybe a bit with the firing rate to damage ratio, but its not THAT bad. When in my full plate I only take noticeable damage from headshots (a headshot generally does 1/4 to 1/2 dmg).
I do note with joy though, that when archers shoot my charger, it usually does nothing :)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Morieff

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2011, 11:25:24 am »
I agree.
I think buffed arrow are too deadly right now. Prepatch it was fine imho.
The problem isn't the damage (but a slight nerf is welcome), it's the number of archer on the opposite team (due to that damage buff). I can't fight someone without receive some stuning arrow. I died more oftan than prepatch due to these arrows.

In addition to ladder-unreachable friendly archer which make the round longer and boring.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:27:49 am by Morieff »

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2011, 11:46:39 am »
Archers were used only before a battle in real medieval battles, because they weren't closely accurate to what they are in this game and would hit alot of friendlies. Maybe that could be a hint to balance it a little.

Offline Nihtingale

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
  • Is it retarded enough?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »
Dear Santa!
Please nerf friendly archers back! I wanna play good ol' cRPG again, I'm sick and tired of medieval counter-strike shit when 100500 ghey friendly archers are shooting from every hole and every high ground of the map (not mentioning the worst plague of all time - HA assholes). I'll behave myself, I promise. Just do it pweeeeeeease.
P.S. Oh and sorry for that trap in the fireplace, I swear it wasn't me, it was my younger brother!
Love you, Nighty.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 12:07:23 pm by Nihtingale »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2011, 12:35:12 pm »
Care to remind us who did you kill with your 25 dmg on unarmored falling to about 12 versus leather armor and below 5 versus mail?

Yeah.  It was a lot of luck.  I was pretty inaccurate and just spammed about 30 shots over a safe distance, but I was still able to land hits and two were kills.  One was one of the archers that had been firing at me, then gave up and ran a straight line in front of me probably assuming I was harmless.  The other was another random passerby shortly afterwards who was actually wearing lower mid-range armor iirc.  I'm sure they were already weakened when I hit them.  I was also accurate enough at short range to fire into a melee without hitting teammates.

The whole point is I put myself in no danger the whole round and didn't have to do anything difficult, and landed 2-0 ratio my first round as a level 1 character.  Name another class with such luxury. 

If they want to be killed by skill not luck they should propose bow accuracy less of a lottery.

This is exactly what I propose, with a reduction in damage.  The level of threat posed and potential reward earned by a character should be directly proportional to the amount of risk and effort involved.  That is fair and balanced game design.  As such, I think archers should be more effective as support (better accuracy for landing more crucial shots to cover teammates), without being a dire threat in themselves (less damage/less likely to deplete an enemy's health by archery alone).  Where it's up to melee characters to initiate battles and actually set the game in motion, and they have much more killing power but they're also far far more likely to die instantly and spend the next 5 minutes waiting for the next round than an archer.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2011, 01:36:02 pm »
Two things :

Period between the patch .200 and patch .210 :
I guess that's the main problem, cos before patch .200 i have never whine against archers (for me it was a part of the game and i just adapt to fit in), but after having played with version .200 (and .201) i realized what happiness was to play in these conditions, fun and medieval battles for real.
why you showed us that this mod can be really fun, now i am having nostalgia!
I agree that archery needed a buff, it was useless and ridiculous in .200, but not that much buff, now it's just like prepatch.

Numbers of archers :
Archers spam, a lot of ppl use archer cos it's easy mod "aim and click" with less less risk to die. If archery become too easy, then a lot of ppl create and play with archers char, and battles become ridiculous, just like a medieval counter strike.

I don't speak of shield nerf, it's normal that an archer can shoot me in my feet if i don't protect well or dodge, and 1vs1 against archer is now more balanced, the archer have a chance to shoot me before i reach him, but if there is more than 2 archers, i can't dodge and protect every side of my body, then i have no chance to reach one, and that's unbalanced (and not fun for inf).

Yesterday i've played siege server as defender, when attackers entered the castle (2 min before the end) i died, and then when i respawn i was immediatly kill by archers, i didn't even have time to move. Two archers were standing on a tower near spawn point, waiting for players to spawn and kill them immediatly with no risk. This guys made no matter of the flag, they were just here to kill spawner (useless k/d don't count for siege).
Fortunatly i spawn at another point next live.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 01:38:56 pm by Blondin »

Offline Lanic0r

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 66
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2011, 01:50:07 pm »
Hey wanna see statistics of killst due archers before and after patch!
And in addition a whining contest for non archers. i wonder who whine more, cavs or players without shield?

Offline AlexandertheGreat

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2011, 01:54:20 pm »
Salmongod, any class can go 2-0 or even higher at level 1. It all depends on the skill of the player.

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2011, 02:01:47 pm »
Hey wanna see statistics of killst due archers before and after patch!
And in addition a whining contest for non archers. i wonder who whine more, cavs or players without shield?

This has nothing to do with kills but with the fact that's unplayable because of the constant archer threat and not fun. Of course players can adapt, some even carry 2 shields now, and everyone is really careful so there isn't that uber stats for archers except a few really skilled ones which i see consisently at the top of the killboard when they play. It's even worse than cavalry, i might get angry sometimes when i die to cavalry but it's usually a mistake i made that made me die, and you can hear them and see them coming so it's easy to dodge or even counterattack and kill the stupid horse. Nothing like that vs archers, well i carry a crossbow now.. more fun than stay in cover and have my shield up all the time (making my right mouse button break).

Offline ZMaNFaRLee

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2011, 02:27:34 pm »
I just got to lvl 24 with my archer.  It's fun but not uber... You have to be good to do good.  I thought it would be easy mode but I sucked at it so it was not.  I usually just get killed by other archers pretty quickly.  Now though I am starting to concentrate more and get better shots.  There were a couple times where I had to pulloff some tough medium range shots with heavy movement into a melee duel to help a buddy.  I got a couple good shots in that caused the guy to trip up and my teammate was able to deliver the final blow.

So if you get shot just realize that either A) somebody is trying to shoot you and it isn't that easy or B) you're standing out in the open.

If you are a 2her get in cover or stay around the other team so archers dont fire at their own guys.

Now I am trying out a thrower.  Even a level "0" shield has me dying WAY LESS!!!!!

SO yeah spend 400g on a shield anyone can use and stop crying.  Archers do not equal counterstrike.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2011, 02:28:42 pm »
Yeah just a non-archer contest cos archers were the best whiners ever when .200 was released...and archers win the contest : they were buffed!!

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2011, 02:30:50 pm »
Salmongod, any class can go 2-0 or even higher at level 1. It all depends on the skill of the player.

Heh.  I think the likelihood of accomplishing this with a melee character is incredibly slim by comparison.  You're slow and weak.  You can walk clumsily up to another melee character, tap him on the shoulder, and say "please kill me".  Your only hope is to find another low-level peasant who isn't tagging along with anyone stronger.  Unlikely.  You have to play some really good hide & seek or run a deadly gauntlet to find that unlikely target, especially since you're an archer's favorite meal and you might have saved a shield made of glass for your peasant if you've recently retired.  Player skill helps, but you're just plain slow to start.  Everyone else will be running and attacking much much faster than you and hitting much harder.

Then there's archer.  Stand back.  Shoot.