Author Topic: Archers buffed too much  (Read 24283 times)

Offline magog_III

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Archers buffed too much
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2011, 07:47:27 pm »
i dont want to see those nighmares again; ohh kesh is on my team... ohh cupid dead... ohh khan_krum is our side... i dont want to see those nighmares again pls...they must stand what they deserve as a supporter!!!

Offline ZMaNFaRLee

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:20 pm »
An easy way to fix archery would be to allow only 1 ammo stack to be equipped. 18 +8 pierce dmg bodkin arrows, but that's it, archers will actually have to aim and chose their shots rather than spam the whole round aiming at the big crowd for lucky kills.

That's funny I thought Archers shooting into a clusterf*ck of enemies was a smart archer....

Offline Mtemtko

• Count
  • Renown: 168
  • Infamy: 46
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Merc_Mtemtko
  • IRC nick: Mtemtko
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2011, 07:48:41 pm »
(Yes,i have all these chars,not before but now,YES i have played ALL classes so far,i just have these at the moment) Lets see if people will reply to this post before even reading what i wrote,sadly often that happens...
All these chars are L25+

Archer view: Pre-buff my archer was almost useless ( L30 18str/24 agi, NO ath/PS (!) ) for everything else than killing unarmored horses, with the latest buff and the heirloomed warbow i'm able to 4hit mail armored infantry and tincan armor isnt that useless at all (took 7 shots to kill a tincan with flamberge,yup... the armor is doing its job i think)

Accuracy is good at close range (still far from pinpoint with 170wpf), but i cannot risk taking safe shots into melee.pre-patch you'd rarely see me teamhit someone unless he ran infront of me, at longrange the shots are very hard to do now (very innacurate on longrange, longrange for example  as the usual range from a castle to spawnpoint ).
The xbows are still able to one shot me from very far away, and i can't do skirmish,since preety much any melee that isnt tincan with 5+ ath can catch up with me,and with 0PS  i cant do much to defend myself against infantry if they get in close.  The upkeep doesnt really strike me alot, i still gain with barmace,2x bodkins,heirloomed warbow and 3k worth of armor.

Thrower/2h hybrid  view : Yup,archers are kinda silly being able to 3 shot my 27str (9ps/pt), but actually thinking about the path ill take to approach the archer makes the whole thing easier than just a headfirst charge and dodging ( i know, on open maps its more complicated) , i still manage to get great kill:death ratios with throwing axes and jarids and with bastard sword for melee, usually two jarids will kill an average L28 infantry, sometimes even one. I really do envy those throwers with 11+ PT being able to oneshot anything but rare tincans/IF str stackers and armored horses. The upkeep is horrid,i cannot afford more than 10k of armor since each stack of throwing weapons has a chance to break, thats why i chose bastard sword (cheap!) for my melee weapon, i see why there are so few lance throwers nowadays.

2hander STR(27str 6IF medium-heavy armor)view : Pre-patch i had almost no  issues with archers,at most they interrupted me in melee,but no harm was done from the arrows, usually siege xbow took around 60% of my health, the only thing that buggered me was the throwers being able to take 95% of my health in one jarid.
With the current buff to archers a lvl 26+ archer will be able to take away atleast 25% of my health from an arrow, so i took a old heather shield (0 shield skill) and kept it always with me, it worked well unless the archers had the time to shoot my feet/  shield 6 times, i usually tried to avoid that, but still i died many times, but alot less than without shield.
It always pisses me off when some random projectiles stop my rampage,true but its really no good when individuals can rock the board with 40:1KDs because almost nothing can stop them. The upkeep is not bad, even with 25k worth of armor, 10k weapon i manage to keep a steady increase in money.

Cav view (steppe horse/courser): Pre-buff archers were few,but still i would rarely get away from an assault with my horse intact (steppe horse), most of the time my horse died from 3-5 shots and one headshot, and yes thats slightly unfair for the upkeep of the horse (they even increased it!), now with archer buff my horse still dies as quick as before,but sadly there are so many archers that theres almost no point in being cav with an unarmored horse unless the map is large and you can flank them/get behind, patience works remember!
Even the best archers get tunnelvision and you can safely lance them without one hit taken.
The upkeep pre-patch was fine, i could afford a courser, 5k of armor, 3k shield and 10k of weapons and still had a decent income, now with upkeep increase (horse) i guess i'll have to loose the lance too....

Xbow/glaive view: I do think archers are fine from xbowman view, finding some good cover and shooting them has prooven effective since  DEDICATED xbowmen are now capable of shooting from really afar and still being able to ONE shot the archers, xbow will usually dominate over archery in normal maps,but in open maps without trees (!) the xbowers are fucked unless helped by a teammate with a large shield,being able to reload safely gives us large advantage.(remember, teamwork is something we want!)
Sadly now with the buff,i cannot afford making as many mistakes, so i have to adapt LIKE EVERY OTHER CLASS.
Pre-patch the gear was hard to upkeep (siege crossbow, 2x steel bolts, 10k of armor,glaive), now with xbow price increase i will probably loose some of my steel bolts and change them to the normal ones, the damage nerf was not bad,but i heard its gonna get back to normal soon,not 100% sure.

Overall in my opinion, the shield-less melees and light cav were hit by this buff the most.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:53:47 pm by Mtemtko »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2011, 07:52:26 pm »
So you averaged over 19k experience per round? Either this was pre-patch or something has been "modified". Post-patch with x5 and gen 10, you are only going to get 10k exp.

oh, well i started at level 12 (was 21-22 or something pre-patch). Still does not change the facts that archery from that point forward is piss easy :)

Also had a 1:1 k/d back then (50 kills / deaths)

*edit* Last but not least, 558720 / 29 is not the correct formula to figure out my xp gain. There were rounds i did not die.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:04:10 pm by Babelfish »

Offline Farrok

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Farrok
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »
Archers are and will always be, easymode =)

like 2handers =)
all classes are easymode when you can fight, some are better archers, some are better meleefighters, some are good in both...playerskill is the word for that ;)

hell before the buff i had more kills with my shortened spear with 0 wpf than with my bow...i need to test it with the new buff ;)

Offline Babelfish

• Knight
  • Renown: 62
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2011, 08:00:27 pm »
like 2handers =)
all classes are easymode when you can fight, some are better archers, some are better meleefighters, some are good in both...playerskill is the word for that ;)

hell before the buff i had more kills with my shortened spear with 0 wpf than with my bow...i need to test it with the new buff ;)

Touché

Offline Krath

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Not playing
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2011, 08:05:40 pm »
An easy way to fix archery would be to allow only 1 ammo stack to be equipped. 18 +8 pierce dmg bodkin arrows, but that's it, archers will actually have to aim and chose their shots rather than spam the whole round aiming at the big crowd for lucky kills.

Then pure archers should be able to respec, as they would be useless after two minutes of the battle.
Not playing.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2011, 08:12:35 pm »
Thats supposed to be hard?

Archers are and will always be, easymode =)

BS. You're lucky to hit the same guy twice. Unless you're playing against noobs who are half afk. Smart archer hits a guy once and switches target after that. Fucking liars trolling here.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2593
  • Infamy: 1001
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2011, 08:37:14 pm »
This game is one of the very few which have good melee combat. Every other game is pew pew fest (CS, CoD, TF2, L4D2, QL, U3 etc). Games with good melee need to be cherished and if you see infestation of ranged fegs you need to nerf range combat so much so that those kind of people (mostly kids) leave and let us others to play a good melee game. I dislike some changes made in last 3 patches and all issues are related to ranged buffs. Before there were just archers and few xbowmen. Now there are the same number of archers but dedicated melee fighters became cowards and they always carry some throwing item and spoil good melee fight that way. Also xbow is really powerful with 100 wpf, even I with 1 wpf could kill people with it.

Give powah to melee, screw ranged fegs!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:39:42 pm by Leshma »

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »
I wear 45 body armor and when I played last night, many archers were taking more than half my health in one hit.  I don't care how many archers deny this claim.  This is what was fucking happening to me.

I always carry a shield with me, but it doesn't help.  Being a walking wall isn't fun.  Every second that I put down my shield or turn around is highly likely to result in my death.  Archers are like boos from Mario.  They're always there watching and waiting for you to turn your back or lower that shield.  So I spend the majority of every round holding up a shield and facing one direction not doing anything.

And putting away that shield to get out my polearm is completely out of the question most of the time.  It seems the only non-archer way to play now is 1H + Shield.

And I have seen archers topping the scoreboard plenty when they were supposedly at their most nerfed, and almost always one in the top 3 on each team.  I can't believe how much archers have complained about how they couldn't get ludicrous amounts of kills effortlessly without even putting themselves in the fight.  It seems like archery play style is a magnet for lazy, spoiled gamers.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »
in fact archery is like the same as before big patch, execpt we don't have anymore good armors and good shields. Even if you're aware and you protect well with your shield, arrows go through and with a lot of archers there is arrows all the way (its not a matter of skills).
This was not a big problem since buff, but now it takes 2 arrows to die...
What i don't understand is that if archers is a support class (you know volley fire) why do they have a lot of more kills than an another support class : shielders? Unbalance maybe...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:52:41 pm by Blondin »

Offline Mamachew

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Archer tried and true.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingsguard
  • Game nicks: KG_Durzo_Blint; KG_ZEUS
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »
This is an issue for all ranged and Melee.

Look, Archers have to time their shots, look for open targets, watch their backs, move and (sometimes) outright run away. So our arrows have more pierce damage? Why should thrown weapons and crossbows keep their pierce when bows become cut?

In reality, a longbow was a deadly weapon. The people that used them were very good at what they did, they would certainly be able to hit someone from half bow-shot (200 yrds ish). Why so glum? 2-Handers still spam the crap out of me when they get close.  I have trouble getting around shields... what are you all complaining about? We DID get nerfed hardest and we're trying to get back into the groove of things.

And don't give me that crap about shields not working. If your shield isn't pointed in the right direction then yes, i will be able to hit you. And notice how most shields have that gap where your feet are? If we shoot AT your feet there's no reason we shouldn't have a chance of hitting them! Before the update I'd shoot at someone with a shield the size of a dinner plate and the shield would take the hit. THAT IS BS at it's finest.

So everyone who is moaning about archers... suck it up and figure out how to beat us! We had to deal with a drop in speed, accuracy and damage... you can figure out how to poke someone with a sharp piece of metal I'm sure!
Do what is right, do what is in front of you. But not necessarily what is right in front of you.

In the words of untelligent americans everywhere, "I COULD CARE LESS!!!"

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »
Archers are like boos from Mario.  They're always there watching and waiting for you to turn your back or lower that shield.
I like this quote so much that I put it in my sig.

Offline Wench

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • lets post!!!! posting party in this thread!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: Wench, Revolting, Barda
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2011, 09:23:40 pm »
i dont want to see those nighmares again; ohh kesh is on my team... ohh cupid dead... ohh khan_krum is our side... i dont want to see those nighmares again pls...they must stand what they deserve as a supporter!!!

Kesh was on my team today. I was at the top of the scoreboard with a sword and shield, 17/3. Kesh was 3/3, near the bottom.

LLJK POSTING SQUAD FOR LIFE NO REGRETS!!!!

Offline Razzen

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Razzen
  • IRC nick: Razzen
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
Not to offend anybody but archering aint that hard, i dont think that shooting people in the legs is hard either, i have been playing on my archer char and i cant see the hard thing in being a archer except if your team is close to a target to be honest.