Author Topic: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.  (Read 26775 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2011, 12:47:12 pm »
archer is a low risk medium reward class, nuf said

Archery has also an easy EARLY learning curve, then it steadily becomes harder to progress.

2h/swing polearms just are hard when you learn blocking (pretty much everyone can block decently now), and when it's done you have the best melee weapons, and a little more awareness/feinting/min-maxxing makes you much more effective.

1h maybe are the easiest to start with. You don't have to block. So the only possible improvements are awareness, reach-learning, feinting... But due to the weaknesses of 1h weapons, damage and reach first, you have to become much better to gain just a little more efficiency.

No wonder many people prefer 2h, as nearly everyone can block well enough to be in the easy zone of the 2h learning curve.

As time goes, the advantage of shields in melee becomes less and less important, and the lack of punch and reach of 1h more and more penalizing.

Offline Manabalu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Manabalu
« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »
Me as ex-dedicated Crossbowmen can say, that Shooting is much! easier than going full melee. The reason is: everyone can block nowadays. Half a year ago, before great patch, i know the guys who can beat me, all the others i could just sweep away. Now everyone on the battle servers is a risk for me.

Thats also the reason why this quote is bullshit:
No wonder many people prefer 2h, as nearly everyone can block well enough to be in the easy zone of the 2h learning curve.
Because everyone can block, many choose the easy way and try to just shoot them.
Melee is not about who can block, it is about who is better in blocking! (And many other fators too ofc)
And good shielders are the most annoying and dangerous guys a twohander can meet on the battlefield. Just a Horse Archer can top them.  :mrgreen:

And btw: If you think about the most skilled players in cRPG, you guys think about some archers instead Pyhrex and co.?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:40:53 pm by Manabalu »

Offline SchokoSchaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: Eats grass
  • IRC nick: Schoko
« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2011, 01:34:35 pm »
Archery has also an easy EARLY learning curve, then it steadily becomes harder to progress.

2h/swing polearms just are hard when you learn blocking (pretty much everyone can block decently now), and when it's done you have the best melee weapons, and a little more awareness/feinting/min-maxxing makes you much more effective.

1h maybe are the easiest to start with. You don't have to block. So the only possible improvements are awareness, reach-learning, feinting... But due to the weaknesses of 1h weapons, damage and reach first, you have to become much better to gain just a little more efficiency.

As time goes, the advantage of shields in melee becomes less and less important, and the lack of punch and reach of 1h more and more penalizing.
This +1.
But as I see it, shields simply seem not primarly ment for melee battle but arrow defence.

Edit:

Thats also the reason why this quote is bullshit:
Because everyone can block, many choose the easy way and try to just shoot them.

It's actually not, you just look at it from a different angle.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:38:06 pm by SchokoSchaf »
määääääääääh!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2011, 01:46:05 pm »
But as I see it, shields simply seem not primarly ment for melee battle but arrow defence.

Agree somewhat, but shields are also great for tangling with groups of adversaries. You'd be hard pressed to manual block effectively against five foes, but with a shield you can weave throughout a crowd quite well if you know how to use your footwork, even getting some to attack one another on accident, lashing out when there is an opening. I spent the first gen on my main as a 15/21 shielder, wearing between 7-8 pounds for total gear weight, and it was a lot of fun for those types of situations

I'd like to add that I would have never rolled an archer alt if I wasn't confident in my blocking. It is even more important when using a 1hand sidearm, doubly so if you have no powerstrike at all, to know how to block than when you have something that can outreach the enemy. Because chances are you are going to be drawn into melee at some point, whether from them approaching you, or from it being more advantageous to your team/current situation that you do so.

You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2011, 01:53:05 pm »
Its not about blocking...blocking is easy. 2h and unshielded polearms were always used as a support weapon, now its a main weapon. Every noob can take 2h sword stay with team and backstab enemys with 1-2 hits.imo 2h and polearms are not OP, but 2/pole+heavy armor=OP, since archers have cut damage, xbows are very slow, throwing are useless.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »
And btw: If you think about the most skilled players in cRPG, you guys think about some archers instead Pyhrex and co.?
You think about Phyrex and co because:
a) They have the best stats
and
b) They win duels

I consider Jambi just as good a player as Phyrex, considering how much better he does than almost everyone else. He can never get as good stats as a top level 2h/pole user, because archery is just way weaker (in public play).

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2011, 02:03:12 pm »
One can pick any strange thing to do for testing player skills. I can safely assume many top players would be having an hard time with a dagger str build (not that I would not mind you).

If you choose abusing retarded animations and multiplayer-specific game engine limitations, I think Phyrex is pretty high in the skill list. This is not a rant, I abuse lolspamming too as everyone. He just does it better.

If you choose straight arrow bug timing, I think Coldblood_Revenant wins hands down, however.

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2011, 02:05:25 pm »
Yep, Coldblood is also way up there.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2011, 02:12:42 pm »
So goretooth runs around in triple loomed black armor and a mw bec because it's so damn challenging?  And no archer, not a single archer, plays the class because they're good?  And none of those are good enough to even get in the top 25? 

I saw a 2h user in that top 25 go archer for a gen and guess what?  He never got anywhere close to the scores he gets as a 2hander. 

Apparently it does matter considering it's the only thing on the scoreboard and the only thing recorded on that site.  I don't play CoD but at least that game records assists and objectives captured.
The melee guys run in armor first and foremost as defense against archers and TK. In melee, anything but really the plates will not buy you more than 1 hit in survival. I love occasionally playing with peasant gear and silly weapons (I am not good at all), but I always switch characters/equipment after a few rounds of dying to random archers instead of getting killed in melee. This is fine, but just emphasize the role of armor: archer, horse bumps and TK defense.

When archers top the scores that is really bad. A melee player that killed 10, had to face each one and get into their threat range in order to kill them. An archer that killed 10 could have climbed some barely accessible position and killed 10 people that were not engaged with him and unless archers themselves, could not hit him back. Cavs are often similar to archers in that respect, getting a large fraction of their kills from unaware or already engaged targets. I had a few rounds yesterday on EU1 where one team had mostly archers and cavs while the other (mine) had infantry majority. we got bumped, lanced and shot and there was damn little we could do about it. Loosing a 5 streak is fine, but loosing 5 where you could not get in range of a single opponent unless he fell off his horse at your feet, or was an AFK archer, is awful.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
One can pick any strange thing to do for testing player skills. I can safely assume many top players would be having an hard time with a dagger str build (not that I would not mind you).

If you choose abusing retarded animations and multiplayer-specific game engine limitations, I think Phyrex is pretty high in the skill list. This is not a rant, I abuse lolspamming too as everyone. He just does it better.

If you choose straight arrow bug timing, I think Coldblood_Revenant wins hands down, however.

:lol:

It's not that hard to top charts, it's hard to top it while doing your job, which means, adapting to the current scenario and defining priorities.
And this is where you find the best players at. You know then what true horror means, when you have these players focusing you all the time when you become a menace.  8-)

Offline Gildiss

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
  • Goldline.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2011, 06:00:50 pm »
You see I played for about 5 minutes and racked up 5 headshots in a single shot, thus this class is completely OP.

Here are my suggestions for correcting it.

1 Quiver MAX.

Lower the amount of arrows within a quiver by one half.

Bows require more slots, 3, 2 MINIMUM.

Make longbows do cut damage, ALL THE OTHER BOWS CUT WHY DOES LONGBOW PIERCE? WHY WOULD ANY BOW PIERCE?! THE GREEKS PROVED THIS A MILLENIA AGO!

The archer must be locked into place, akin to a tree.

Slow the bow draw animation time 10 fold.

With these changes I feel archery will finally be put in its proper place in this, the glorious mod, Lubed Up 2hers Wrestling In A Field.

Let's bring honoure~~ back to CRPG
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:02:04 pm by Gildiss »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:23 pm »
You see I played for about 5 minutes and racked up 5 headshots in a single shot, thus this class is completely OP.

nice work m8, if this can be done, then archery is certainly OP.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2011, 06:11:35 pm »

Just yesterday I logged on and sweeped half the enemy team in one swing of my great sword.

good troll post anyway

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

It's not that hard to top charts, it's hard to top it while doing your job, which means, adapting to the current scenario and defining priorities.
And this is where you find the best players at. You know then what true horror means, when you have these players focusing you all the time when you become a menace.  8-)

Yeah... this is really a strange feeling to play an alt of a class you're terrible at (like me and throwing), suddenly your lifetime expectations seem to double as nobody focuses you. Battle assassinations ftw  :(

By that I mean that characters usually topping the charts try to kill each other as soon as possible, when their class allows it. It's easier to aim at particular people with a ranged weapon than surviving an half map obstacle course and sneaking up on someone.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2011, 06:44:46 pm »
Battle assassinations ftw  :(

Makes me think of total war  :P

Just keep doing low risk mission against 1-star merchant (peasants) until you can kill the pope (top players)!!! :lol:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:47:10 pm by Butan »