Author Topic: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.  (Read 26767 times)

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:08 am »
I'm fairly sure both melee and ranged have impossibly high skill ceilings that no one in the game has come close to reaching.
It's theoretically possible as a melee to always chamber every incoming attack. No one does this.
It's theoretically possible as ranged to always place your reticule at the exact correct position to hit, barring dodges/inaccuracy. No one does this, and even 10 year CS pros can't do this.
All melee and ranged could also get much better at positioning, tactics and awareness.

Discussing which is harder is pointless. This is a stupid whine thread.

Even including chambering it's not even close, but fair enough. 

However, what's more relevant is balance and skill floor.  Look no further than the top 25 players posted earlier.  At least 22 out of 25 are 2handers or polearms.  Does anyone really think that's what balance looks like?  At the very least, it sure as hell doesn't warrant the endless threads bitching and complaining about ranged classes. 

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2011, 10:59:10 am »
Thats because people play archers because they suck at melee or are just playing for grinding gold or they just like the class or play around with it for shit n gigles or preparing for strategus ect ect....

Without a doubt most of the playerbase still prefer to wield 2h or polearm sooner or later because thats where the last part of the fun in this game is with manuel blocking its the most demanding class like or not 2h or polearms will never go away...
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:07 am »
Objectively speaking, nothing in the game has a higher skill ceiling than ranged weapons.

That may be true, but this thread is not about the best of the best. It's about the question why so many people still choose to play an archer. And it's true, if you start playing this mod you won't get much kills in melee, while playing some ranged class you can at least try to do so without coming in combat range.
I think that's why so many people start this mod as archers, and many stick to it because they don't learn to play in melee.

To the archers defending their gaming style:
Most people here don't say the amount of archers implies that this class is unballanced, but the whole game can become pretty unballanced on maps with a lot of archers and a lot of hills or buildings. There's not much to do about, unless the devs decide to remove ladders or allow only one quiver per character or implement a maximum of ranged players per team.
And about Agincourt: You can decide yourself, either the battle was unballanced or the French were fools and the amount of archers wasn't the real cause of victory. (yeah, I love to bring in Agincourt again :D)

Also I don't think that archery on a high level can bring as much kills as 2h, but it's not about kills. People rarely get killed by friendly horse bumps, but a horse bump often leads to certain death (as does the short stun after someone hits you with an arrow).

@Tzar: Your avatar is just... I want to give you more bad karma everytime I see it :/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:02:49 am by Ginosaji »

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:38 am »
Look no further than the top 25 players posted earlier.  At least 22 out of 25 are 2handers or polearms.  Does anyone really think that's what balance looks like?  At the very least, it sure as hell doesn't warrant the endless threads bitching and complaining about ranged classes.
I am pretty sure that at least 21 out of these 22 would not use a bow even if they were hired as violinists. The better players are the ones that want challenge. They go melee. Talk as much as you want about calculating arrow drop and relative speeds, but the bottom line is that archers are not mathematicians and 90% of what they do is point and click. Yes, fast point and click takes just a bit of skill.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2011, 11:09:43 am »
I am pretty sure that at least 21 out of these 22 would not use a bow even if they were hired as violinists. The better players are the ones that want challenge. They go melee.

Yep, that's why you see them constantly running around with a practice sword (1h), linen tunic and unspent skillpoints and never whine about ... anything, really.

Offline Loki

• Count
  • Renown: 228
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • I don't know karate, but I know crazy.
    • View Profile
    • The Fallen Brigade
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Loki
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2011, 11:11:49 am »
I am pretty sure that at least 21 out of these 22 would not use a bow even if they were hired as violinists. The better players are the ones that want challenge. They go melee. Talk as much as you want about calculating arrow drop and relative speeds, but the bottom line is that archers are not mathematicians and 90% of what they do is point and click. Yes, fast point and click takes just a bit of skill.

Why is there such a strong correlation between two-handers and people who have their heads so far up their asses that they wear their turd-cutters as necklaces?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:18 am »
Even including chambering it's not even close, but fair enough. 

However, what's more relevant is balance and skill floor.  Look no further than the top 25 players posted earlier.  At least 22 out of 25 are 2handers or polearms.  Does anyone really think that's what balance looks like?  At the very least, it sure as hell doesn't warrant the endless threads bitching and complaining about ranged classes.

Forget you CoD mentality boy, why does the kill ladder or k/d even matter in this game who gives a shit and btw. the sickest scores are made by good cav players these days they dominate.

Archers should never be chart toppers beacause they are a SUPPORT class. Get your head out your ass and check how the fights went on on medival battlefields and who got if no all than most kills (hint: it were melee ppl). So i suggest now u grab a weapon and learn to block weakling
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2011, 11:49:14 am »
Actually, I'm bored with melee and see the higher skill in predicting movement and leading shots as archers and crossbowmen have to. Oh, and 1h cav is where I'm still at the bottom end of the learning curve and it's fun and challenging.

Offline Snatch

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Just dance
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: Lady Gaga
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2011, 11:52:06 am »
^^^^
Yea, 1h cav is p tough shit. Lot of scrubs don't get that. Lancing is the easiest thing in this game besides two handers.

Forget you CoD mentality boy, why does the kill ladder or k/d even matter in this game who gives a shit and btw. the sickest scores are made by good cav players these days they dominate.

Archers should never be chart toppers beacause they are a SUPPORT class. Get your head out your ass and check how the fights went on on medival battlefields and who got if no all than most kills (hint: it were melee ppl). So i suggest now u grab a weapon and learn to block weakling

Guess who died the most in medieval combat, melee.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 11:54:29 am by Snatch »

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2011, 12:09:02 pm »
^^^^
Yea, 1h cav is p tough shit. Lot of scrubs don't get that. Lancing is the easiest thing in this game besides two handers.

Guess who died the most in medieval combat, melee.

guess who fled the field the most while their melee people were getting killed? Archers
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Everkistus

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No good deed goes unpunished
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Everkistus
  • IRC nick: Everkistus
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2011, 12:11:57 pm »
vMega has the best post of the thread, everyone should read it. +1 mate.

Offline Shablagoo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 15, 2011, 12:16:35 pm »

So goretooth runs around in triple loomed black armor and a mw bec because it's so damn challenging?  And no archer, not a single archer, plays the class because they're good?  And none of those are good enough to even get in the top 25? 

I saw a 2h user in that top 25 go archer for a gen and guess what?  He never got anywhere close to the scores he gets as a 2hander. 

Forget you CoD mentality boy, why does the kill ladder or k/d even matter in this game who gives a shit and btw.

Apparently it does matter considering it's the only thing on the scoreboard and the only thing recorded on that site.  I don't play CoD but at least that game records assists and objectives captured. 

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 15, 2011, 12:27:47 pm »
archer is a low risk medium reward class, nuf said
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #238 on: June 15, 2011, 12:38:44 pm »
Risk? What exactly do you risk by entering melee?

In a game where everyone on a team dies every round, the concept of "risk" is meaningless.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2011, 12:39:35 pm »
The better players are the ones that want challenge.

If this were completely true I'd expect to see less plate, ironflesh, top tier melee weapons, and see more dudes rolling cloth with a hammer even though they're level 30.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.