Author Topic: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.  (Read 25719 times)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
Me and my kind? You mean people who play every single class, have multiple alts, and enjoy the dynamic freedom of personal choice?

No, i mean people who think that 80% ranged is a normal state of every battle, and people who tell other people to grab a shield or host their own melee-only server.
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Boss_Awesome

• Earl
  • Renown: 338
  • Infamy: 65
  • cRPG Player
  • I am the Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade (Not the Coalition)
  • Game nicks: Boss_Awesome
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 09:57:38 am »
LOL at this thread.  You guys should get shields or some more athletics.   I do get a little tired of being called a my old friend constantly, but it is kinda funny sometimes too.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:55 am »
How about... making arrows glance? If melee weapons can do it, providing the circumstances, why should a 'weak' archer be able to penetrate any kind of armor from any distance?  :P

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 11:29:20 am »
For anyone raging at archery and xbows in cRPG, go play native for a while, then get back to us. It's not for nothing they've been nerfed repeatedly over the course of the mod.
I've never been a fan of ranged, but I don't nearly rage as much as I used to, they're much more balanced than they used to be. And despite all the comments about how the melee system is the heart and soul of this game (which I agree with), ranged have their place. If only to act as a counter to cav.
Gorath, no offense but you loathe anyone who doesn't play your favorite class. To hear you talk everyone who's not a 1h/sh is the spawn of Satan and "abusing" the game somehow. Not sure anyone can take your opinions on balance as unbiased commentary. Well, most players are probably biased one way or another, but it's self-evident with you XD.
One thing I do agree with however, bring back xp/gold penalty for tks. And for teamwounding once it becomes possible.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:32:08 am by Oberyn »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2011, 11:39:37 am »
Yeah, archery should not play a role in a medieval game. :)

But on a serious note, there is lots of ways to ajust your playstyle to a healthy amount of archers, you guys should be smart enough to figure it out someday.

There's no way to counter a critical mass of archers. Once there are enough of them, the best way to survive is to become an archer yourself...

It's just evident how 50 archers can shoot one place, but 50 melee or cav certainly can't. Archers win when they outnumber the enemy, they force the other team to move and attack with (most of the time) extreme terrain disadvantage, due to very poor map design (silly villages with barely reachable roofs and silly roof camping rules).

So as teamwork increases, archers will need to get nerfed, over and over again. There's no other way if we want to keep the game as interesting as "Mount & Blade" suggests.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2011, 11:56:03 am »
WTF Oberyn ? Hello Kitty avatar ? Not you too, man.....not you too......  :cry:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2011, 11:57:33 am »
Counter Jihadists win!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:59:00 am by CountBerenger »

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2011, 12:03:38 pm »
The CRPG_TunaTown server is melee-only Thursday through Sunday, pretty princesses people that just want to melee should give it a try.  Maybe convince a group of other melee people to head over there with you if there's too many ranged for your liking on the more populated servers.  Personally, I like the whole rock-paper-scissors aspect of ranged, cavalry and melee that forces you to adapt your tactics or character build to win.  The game would be really boring without a variety of classes and the usually empty melee-only server speaks to that.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,4685.msg82626.html#msg82626

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »
Honor dishonor? Everyone has their own set of rules to those to words. Play by yours and do not judge others so harshly.
Cura nihil aliud nisi ut valeas.

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 12:31:01 pm »
The CRPG_TunaTown server is melee-only Thursday through Sunday, pretty princesses people that just want to melee should give it a try.  Maybe convince a group of other melee people to head over there with you if there's too many ranged for your liking on the more populated servers.  Personally, I like the whole rock-paper-scissors aspect of ranged, cavalry and melee that forces you to adapt your tactics or character build to win.  The game would be really boring without a variety of classes and the usually empty melee-only server speaks to that.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,4685.msg82626.html#msg82626
rock-paper-scissor dont work if theres to many papers for the scissor to cut through

Offline Duerkos

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Duerkos
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 12:37:56 pm »
As a 3rd generation with 2 generations in melee and now beginning an Archer char, I would like to give my opinion.

First, playing an archer is generally boring. In the first minute of the battle you find a spot and fire arrows (if you want), and none of them usually catch a target. This is worse if there is a camping roof on the map, nobody dares to go near that, so you just wait there. I usually go to another place even if I get killed much faster. After that minute, in the 30s when melee enemys are close, is quite fun, but you usually end up dead killing 0-1-2 people.

Second, it is easier than melee. Much, much easier. I guess this is why there are a lot of archers playing (no offense to those who are good or dedicated archers). I suck a bit on melee, almost never got past 1:1 on battle, but on archery at level 24 i'm doing quite well. However, there are almost no good archers who top the scores, or have a very good K:D ratio (You often see archers with good K:D ratio, but its only if their team is winning and they don't die). The better ones manage to have a 2:1 or something like that, so you could argue it's best to invest your time in getting better with melee.

Third, they shine if there is teamwork and strategy in their team, and they can only be countered by that same thing (supposing a balanced map).

And now I address what I think is the problem. Please balance the maps, or even destroy ladders. Roof camping, Hill camping (not so much) is what makes archery a pain in the ass. If you can attack the archers from 2 different spots, with a bit of cover, they are fucked up, always. But there are a lot of spots in lots of maps who allow camping. This shouldn't be allowed.

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:39 pm »
one undestroyable ladder for every roof should fix roof camping spots.

Offline Amender

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Risen_Crixus Risen_Amender
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 12:47:26 pm »
Dude, there where lots of Archers in medievil times get over it. Incase you forgot Archers won many battles E.G the english longbow and Agincourt. You are supposed to hate and fear archers and make it one of your teams main objectives to take them out before they pick your team appart. If you must hide behind some cover or something. use this - :) ~ Crixus

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 12:49:06 pm »
For anyone raging at archery and xbows in cRPG, go play native for a while, then get back to us. It's not for nothing they've been nerfed repeatedly over the course of the mod.

This. Having played native for most of my warband career I know how nerfed it has been in crpg, and that's a good thing. Ranged is the one thing that can make me rage when I play with my native clan, because I'm more used to the much slower rate of fire.

How about... making arrows glance? If melee weapons can do it, providing the circumstances, why should a 'weak' archer be able to penetrate any kind of armor from any distance?  :P

Is this a joke? They do glance.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Lisandro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lisandro
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2011, 12:53:46 pm »
It should be without reticule and more damage, it s realistic
Aspirans Aeterna