Author Topic: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.  (Read 25749 times)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2011, 05:33:57 pm »
Imo i have no problems with archers playing on EU granted it can be annoying if half the enemy team is archers but thats bout it nothing to cry about...  :lol:

On the other hand i do i have a problem with people with normal xbows running around shotgunning thats fuckin annoying as hell  :?
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:58 pm »
Unlike what most archers that posted here think, this is not a nerf archery thread. They have a too high accuracy that is true but thats another topic. This is a place to discuss how ridiculous it is becoming. With the shield forcefield nerf and the fact that most maps (cities and such) are giving a big advantage by letting them camp on a place unreachable (they break the ladder once on the roof) and you cant force them to jump down until u killed all the other players of their team, giving them a huge advantave. I say lets completly disable ladders in battle servers and give back the forcefield to shielders (and im not shielder nor 2hander).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:41 pm »
Dishonorable huh?
Archery and cavalry, has been considered cowardly even by the greeks. (Through history, it's considered dishonorable)
They refused themselves to do it.

What's so honorable about melee?
Both can fight back, not shoot and run.

And the british found it perfectly honorable, and were a more "advanced" civilization then the ancient greeks (who were conquered by the thrower spamming romans who understood that honor was to one's squad mates and to the legion, not some idea of gimping yourself to kill an enemy). Your point?

Honor dishonor? Everyone has their own set of rules to those to words. Play by yours and do not judge others so harshly.
Cura nihil aliud nisi ut valeas.

Great point. Take the so-called "knights" honor who in reality (not the over-hyped bullshit that was promoted in the 1500s and up to make the olden days seem golden) only dueled one another if they were specifically challenged, and found the other person to be an equal. A knight had no problem ganging up on someone in battle or stabbing someone in the back or shooting someone from a castle wall, especially if it involved common soldiers and not other knights he was fighting.

My honor in the game is to my clan. Forgive me for using Roman honor and not Renaissance gentleman's honor. I aim to win and have fun, not win and stroke my epeen.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:13:49 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Bonze

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-Fagcher-Liberation-Front (AFLF)
  • Game nicks: King of FF bump
« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2011, 06:12:43 pm »
Two things:

For archer won battles - Every Mongolian battle against Eastern Europe arrows from horse archers won the fight and they killed plenty of teutonic, polish, and lithuanian knights in plate mail.

Exageration of ranged numbers - 80% of server is not ranged, use correct facts from stats (Pecores server records kills by what weapon which could help), otherwise the exageration weakens your argument.

Let me guess. you are from the usa and you have  never seen a plate mail in your real life...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Legnica 1241 AD

First plate mails in central europe  around ~ 1430 AD
mongol invasions of europe 1237-1242 ...

And no,  horse archers  cant penetrate good plate  armors  they aim for  weak spots like armpits ...     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Vienna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TmXeCQ7WSI&feature=related 1:50 - (German) watch his gesticulation  at 2:00 :wink:

Got no Balls? Play archer. Got no sex? Play horse archer.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2011, 06:15:41 pm »
Archerss still did heavily infuence battles, as the majority of most fights involve poor saps in less impressive armor supporting your glorious knights (like the livonian and prussian auxilaries supporting the knights of saint mary).

As for this amn, he speaks the truth
Been playing on EU Pecores

50 vs 50 battles, even teams, group tactics, archers won't dominate because wise use of siege shields/shield walls, cavalry really has to time their charge unless they want to get poked to death, flanking and all other cool shit

Then back to NA

Most of times 80% players online are 2H, greatsword wielding poopsockers or cav that blindly charges, everyone is whining if some people are actually managing to kill them without being in full plate, archers are OP, throwing is OP, everything that their sword can't reach and is affecting their K:D is OP.

e: I think what matters in this is the fact that most of NA maps are some sort of retarded citymaps or things like that where you can't really outmanuver good archers because if they'd have more plains and battlefield-like maps people would baww about horseys.

ee: Protip on horseys, pike costs like 5k and has 300 reach.

We do have an unusually high amount of shieldless people that coupled with 2handers that refuse to stay behind shielders means a lot of frustration. Pecores server is always a blast, just NA has this weird imbalance of 2 handers and polearm users...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:21:32 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2011, 06:21:13 pm »
Unlike what most archers that posted here think, this is not a nerf archery thread. They have a too high accuracy that is true but thats another topic. This is a place to discuss how ridiculous it is becoming. With the shield forcefield nerf and the fact that most maps (cities and such) are giving a big advantage by letting them camp on a place unreachable (they break the ladder once on the roof) and you cant force them to jump down until u killed all the other players of their team, giving them a huge advantave. I say lets completly disable ladders in battle servers and give back the forcefield to shielders (and im not shielder nor 2hander).
Make ''master of the field'' flag appear faster. Problem solved.

Offline Mogh

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Oso, Manannan, Monkeybutt
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
::huff puff::

I heard someone was playing internet knights-in-armor all wrong! I came as fast as I could.

Also, poopsocker is an awesome word.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:56:32 pm by Mogh »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »
Make ''master of the field'' flag appear faster. Problem solved.

While you run at the flag u give a big advantage to the archer(s) by putting more distance between you and him/them. Removing ladders would be simple and fix the problem. It was already done in siege with the defenders: can't spawn with ladders.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2011, 07:04:02 pm »
C'mon guys, what do you think?
Do you really believe you could enjoy this game because it has the best melee mechanics?
No c'mon, it's internet, it's a mutiplayer game, it will finish in Medieval CS, there is no other possibility (just look at native).

Before big patch, i was tired of archery, plated charger archer was just lame, after big patch i was so happy, that now i found the situation pretty balanced and i don't have problem with ranged (we'll see in Strat).
But every Bandits knows it, the situation is still the same : There is nothing you can do to stop the my old friendchery syndrom.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:17:15 am by Blondin »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2011, 07:04:54 pm »

While you run at the flag u give a big advantage to the archer(s) by putting more distance between you and him/them. Removing ladders would be simple and fix the problem. It was already done in siege with the defenders: can't spawn with ladders.

I would be ok with removing ladders if maps were to stay as is, or allowing them if the maps were strictly enforced where everything that did not have a natural access point has an invisible wall.

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2011, 07:08:28 pm »
Being honest, I believe the problem lies with the Strong bow. Almost 75% of archers I see use that bow or another bow like it. (One of the smaller ones, rather than the Longbow or Warbow)

It's getting to the point where the Strong bow is JUST like the old warbow, shooting an arrow a second and having accuracy out the woo-ha, not to mention the 1-shot kills with those things whilst in chainmail -.-

1 slot, good accuracy, good damage (if your build is good, which everyone's build who knows how to play cRPG is...), low price, low weight. It's kind of ridiculous to see an archer carrying a 2her, bow, and arrows once more.

Don't get me wrong, the longbow and warbow DON'T need a buff, but the lower bows need to be nerfed ever so slightly IMO.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:48 pm »
Hmm. More whining. My favorite thing. So how about remove deployable ladders from battle? Would that be a good start? Also I'm now intrigued to the point that I will make a high level archer myself now just to see what all the whining is about and so I can know if it is indeed overpowered or not.  Funnily I remember my polearm character wearing heavy armor with 10IF I could basically ignore 95% of all archers because few of them had enough PD to actually hurt me. Most of the time it was just glance after glance till they learned to go for softer targets.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:53:25 pm by Lichen »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2011, 08:09:20 pm »
Hmm. More whining. My favorite thing. So how about remove deployable ladders from battle? Would that be a good start? Also I'm now intrigued to the point that I will make a high level archer myself now just to see what all the whining is about and so I can know if it is indeed overpowered or not.  Funnily I remember my polearm character wearing heavy armor with 10IF I could basically ignore 95% of all archers because few of them had enough PD to actually hurt me. Most of the time it was just glance after glance till they learned to go for softer targets.

I'm thinking about the same thing.

Whining about something you never played, or don't know it's mechanics, is just dumb. So I'm thinking about making a test archer, to see how easy/overpowered/whatever it is.

Learn this folks: Never judge a playstyle you never played.
This is true for every style, including Cavalry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2011, 09:20:35 pm »
I changed my mind from my original post: archers are evil, cowardly, and a problem (other projectile weapons do not exist--there is no xbow, and there's no such thing as throwing--so they're not a problem). So problematic is their presence, that I propose we nerf them. Let's make them slower, that way they can't run away from me--it's ridiculous that I cannot easily chase them down when wearing full plate, I mean, they're practically naked, and no person could possibly run faster than a trot when so unencumbered. Let the developers place large lead blocks upon the nipples of all archers, it'll work.

I also think that bows shoot too quickly, I mean historically an archer could only fire one arrow per hour (I know this because I'm historically inclined). It would be in the mods interest to conform to history, since history was very much balanced. The rest of this paragraph would normally be taken up by entirely unrelated, pointless historical inaccuracies which in no way pertain to the present arguement. Example: european knights fought with fish and wore slippers. And so, we need a nerf, because of history.

Anyway, I'd like to end this paragraph by stating that I'm not biased in any way against archers. I have an archer alt, which means I can bitch and complain about that particular class to my hearts content (regardless of the contentness of others' hearts). I certainly don't play as a melee player who does not use a shield of any sort, otherwise I'd be biased. Can't have that.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline SchokoSchaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: Eats grass
  • IRC nick: Schoko
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »
+1 awesome for your omnipresent sarcasm
määääääääääh!