Author Topic: How to fix throwing  (Read 8454 times)

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
Re: How to fix throwing
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2011, 01:42:33 am »
Well my thrower (Tomahawked) is build with 9 agi and right now 28str. as in 9PT and sadly i have to say that i agree with the OP...
Throwing right now is the easiest way to get kills.
I suck at melee find archery very boring and didn't try xbows yet but from the killspeed i can get with my throwing axes i highly doubt even a melee could keep up...

it is already a bit luck based if you hit or not but to be honest i'd rather see the accuracy without WPF further reduced but better at the end of the WPF line.

the most fun and the most rewarding gamestyle in this game is melee as you have to work for your kills and i actually got better at blocking from switchting into melee mode with my throwing axes.

also i don't see why throwing should not depend on it's WPF at all... that's kinda stupid.

i understand people who use ranged stuff as it makes the game playable against the really good players and is also needed against cav but it's still not as much fun as everyone could have.

tonight was totally range night and it was really boring :/

just saying :mrgreen:

Offline Sphinxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _Sphinx_
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2011, 01:49:02 am »
There's sadly nothing to be fixed .. Throwers have been already nerfed and reducing the accuracy (which is already pretty inacurate imo) will make thrower switch to an other class...you want throwers to throw in melee fights ? (only a few meter range) Then give a little chance

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 02:29:51 am »
Throwing is not overpowered, simply overpopulated. 

Offline Toldfield

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • If the toaster crawls, Cover your shoe in cyanide
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 02:39:42 am »
Well my thrower (Tomahawked) is build with 9 agi and right now 28str. as in 9PT and sadly i have to say that i agree with the OP...
Throwing right now is the easiest way to get kills.
I suck at melee find archery very boring and didn't try xbows yet but from the killspeed i can get with my throwing axes i highly doubt even a melee could keep up...
I like your style, baby.
People who think differently will survive. People who think by the book would get crushed, killed, and stepped upon.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 04:48:43 am »
These are the people who have found solutions to killing other Op's and have actually analyzed that their usual strategy isn't going to work...

...This is something we all should do.  :rolleyes:

Telling people who currently do not think outside the box to think outside the box is not thinking outside the box.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Noely

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nords
  • Game nicks: Noely,ArchNoely
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2011, 05:15:59 am »

+1
If wishes were horses beggers would ride.

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2011, 06:36:23 am »
Yeah, I have noticed a lot more throwers recently, many of them probably former archers, and being a rock/lance thrower since before Halloween I have to say, the extra ammo around is nice, but I don't think it's overpowered. I still have to chase down any of the 8 lances that I miss in most battles. Even only wearing a sturdy robe and leather cap I have income problems. And since most throwers put their points into str, melee abilities are often very weak. Factor in the general inaccuracy. Throwing is still a fairly well balanced support/secondary role in cRPG.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:38:15 am by Warcat »
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2011, 01:10:09 pm »

and you don't think that might be a sign that right now throwing is the easiest way to get kills?
which one could translate into it is slightly unbalanced?

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2011, 05:56:18 pm »
and you don't think that might be a sign that right now throwing is the easiest way to get kills?

No. Throwing is fine. It actually got nerfed in the patch.

If you're an archer, shoot them when they're out of range. If you're an xbowman, same. If you're a shielder, just go face smash em.

If you're a non-shield melee....well, thems the breaks bub.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline ViiKOLD

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2011, 06:11:01 pm »
IMHO. One of the easiest ways to solve throwing would be to:
1) PT raises only damage
2) WPF increases speed and accuracy
3) Raise accuracy several time, so that 100 wpf invested into throwing would make reticule very precise
4) Lower amount of ammo several times. So let's say daggers not more than 4 per stack, axes 2-3 and so on

This way it would be skill based and prevent spamming, dedicated thrower would be a bit useless and hard as you run out of ammo very fast (unless you use daggers\shurikans or similar), at the same time it still be a good situational weapon if used at right time. Like 2h is charging at you and you can throw 1-2 axes at him, or damage shield. With improved accuracy you could 1hit kill lightly armored enemy but you need to be smart to not waste your ammo too soon or on not important enemy, think twice about throwin into melee with friendlies and etc, you could target head or feet but again as ammo is limited you would need more player skill to use it effectively.

So basically I support Banok's idea but propose additionaly lower amount of ammo.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:21:17 pm by ViiK »

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2011, 11:43:12 pm »
The majority of players do play Polearm/2hand.

Saying that a "class" is overpowered just because alot plays as it is no-good.

Throwing might be strong. Yes.
But they got limited ammo compared to archers. These pure archers without a melee weapon have loads of arrows while an thrower don't.
They can't waste 4+ throws on one enemy.(Using high-end throwing weapons that is)
Their range absolutely sucks. It's hard and very bad accuracy.
This forces them to be close to melee were they are in a bad position due to the bump nerf for ranged people in melee.

Throwers on the other hand are as mentioned - really strong. Their aim doesn't really change much while moving. Nor does their aim get worse over time like archers.

Throwers are right now, really realistic and balanced.
They are incredible strong. If you compare getting a quite big throwing axe right in your leg compared to a small arrow so can you obviously see the damage diffrence.
They can be used in far range, but are really hard. Due to the weight of the weapon and the fact that the player himself have to throw it really hard to give it enough speed to actually fly far.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:44:18 pm by Erika_Furudo »

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:17 am »
dedicated thrower would be a bit useless and hard as you run out of ammo very fast

and you think killing a whole class on it's own is a good way of balancing?
further reducing ammo is just not an option except you give throwers way better accuracy which you really don't want to do, trust me.

what throwing needs right now is using WPF for accuracy and we'll see a way better balanced mixture of builds and the average damage throwers do will be reduced by the need for agility.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2011, 01:30:11 am »
(click to show/hide)

i eat spawnys ammo cos it tastes gooood
Turtles

Offline ViiKOLD

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2011, 01:09:44 pm »
and you think killing a whole class on it's own is a good way of balancing?
further reducing ammo is just not an option except you give throwers way better accuracy which you really don't want to do, trust me.

what throwing needs right now is using WPF for accuracy and we'll see a way better balanced mixture of builds and the average damage throwers do will be reduced by the need for agility.
Class wouldn't dissapear, you would need to use some lesser throwing weapon to go dedicated - more ammo. Why not give them a better accuracy? Archer can hit for sure from 10 meter if you don't see him, maybe even headshot, same would be true for thrower with much higher damage but with much less amount of ammo.

Woudn't it be cool for skilled player to put throwing axe right into the head from 30 meters, because he knows how to lead target and take into account distance, rather than spam spam spam from 10 meter hoping to get a lucky shot?

Offline Meow

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2011, 01:15:01 pm »
oh i would certainly like it but i am pretty sure most poeple do not appreciate axes in their heads :mrgreen:
i mean if i get 12 instead of 16 axes but can actually be sure to hit my target that would effectively give me more hits than i get right now if i get unlucky.