Author Topic: How to fix throwing  (Read 8832 times)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: How to fix throwing
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2011, 11:29:58 pm »
A 2h could theoretically chop your leg OFF
A throwing axe would damage you, not kill you...
THIS IS WHY WE NEED BODY PART DAMAGE!
So if you get hit in the leg, you move slow. Hit in the body, you don't deal as much damage. Hit in the head attack speed be lowered

several locations where a hit to the leg would either be fatal or render you unable to fight.

#1 if it hits the femoral artery or femoral vein.
#2 if it hits your tibula (kneecap.) Would be unable to walk, leaving you out of battle, plus with the surgery of the time, you would probably die. Knee surgeries are complicated and difficult even by today's standards.
#3 Achilles tendon. You would be unable to walk or run, knocking you out of the battle. This sort of wound is also unrepairable.

These are all just to name a few.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 04:03:48 am »
A throwing axe hitting your leg would most definatly break it. If it manages to miss the bone somehow, it will tear through your muscles, arteries and nerves.

Try standing on that.

Back on topic:
Banok, ever played a thrower? If you haven't, I suggest to try it. There's nothing wrong with throwing atm. The only reason a lot of people get killed because of throwing weapons is because of the increasing number of throwers. Those numbers will now dwindle again, as the archers got buffed a bit.

Look at the scores of an individual thrower, even the skilled ones only get 2:1 or maybe 3:1 kd ratio's. That's nothing different from any other class around.

yeah I had several thrower characters. used to be semi thrower on ninja_banok, had banuk which pre patch was polearm/javelin thrower with 6 pt. then I had the infamous boyakasha_zulu with 10 powerthrow and lolances.

IM NOT ASKING FOR A NERF.
I dont think throwing is imbalanced I just think it could be improved alot to make it more interesting and viable other than pure str/damage throwers. with my idea you could make a high agility accurate thrower with low damage, or a inbetween mix. aswell as the current str stacking builds.

tbh if anything I'm asking for a buff, make throwing wpf actually do something and not be useless. and also reduce the wait of many throwing weapons imo. I used to carry 3 stacks of javs on banuk which was 12 wieght, at least make it equal to arrows/bolts
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:08:00 am by Banok »

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 04:56:53 am »
Ad Versatile/Dex throwers
We actually had that before the patch, I had pt 4/throw 100 and normal darts, it wasn't really great, worse then khergit bow actually, but I didn't carry a shield which I could easily have done. Didn't score many kills with them, but accuracy and speed were quite ok and they were useful.
Shooting a peasant that tries to gang you with a tincan, forcing a runner to get in close where you could actually use your short weapon, distracting archers. And occasionally even win archer duels or headshot a dangerous enemy. And of course now that it counts they also come very cheap.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 03:47:14 pm »
several locations where a hit to the leg would either be fatal or render you unable to fight.

#1 if it hits the femoral artery or femoral vein.
#2 if it hits your tibula (kneecap.) Would be unable to walk, leaving you out of battle, plus with the surgery of the time, you would probably die. Knee surgeries are complicated and difficult even by today's standards.
#3 Achilles tendon. You would be unable to walk or run, knocking you out of the battle. This sort of wound is also unrepairable.

These are all just to name a few.

[smartass comments]
#1 Or any of the nerves in your leg. Can't move your muscules without the nerves!
#2 What's a tibula? I know of a fibula and a tibia in the lower leg and a femur in the upper leg. The kneecap is called a patella.
#3 You can still walk when your achilles tendon is split (be it far from normal), you can't run anymore though.
Any fleshwound was potentially lethal in those days, be it in your arm or leg.

It's safe to say that about 80%-90% of the throwing axe hits on your leg would either put you out of the fight or out of your misery.
[/smartass comments]

I dont think throwing is imbalanced I just think it could be improved alot to make it more interesting and viable other than pure str/damage throwers. with my idea you could make a high agility accurate thrower with low damage, or a inbetween mix. aswell as the current str stacking builds.

tbh if anything I'm asking for a buff, make throwing wpf actually do something and not be useless. and also reduce the wait of many throwing weapons imo. I used to carry 3 stacks of javs on banuk which was 12 wieght, at least make it equal to arrows/bolts

Wpf allready adds accuracy. It's effect is about 100 wpf for roughly 2 levels of PT.
Imo, the way to go (and not completely destroy the strength build throwers) would be to increase the accuracy gained from wpf from a certain point. Maybe 120 or so WPF.
With my current strength build, I will never make it to 120 wpf, so I would need to sacrifice PT to get that. You just have to make it worth the tradeoff in damage.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:09 pm »
I've been melee for 4 generations, now I have 3 proficiencies at generation 5. What are they you might ask? 1h, 2h, and THROWING. For this, I have 72 or so WPF. 85 in the 1h/2h. I also have to invest 3 points of power throw into it. Weapon proficiencies work for Throwing, and are required for accuracy. I could shoot a bow without proficiency on this character by replacing throwing with it. Will it be like an archer? no, but it's still a weapon. I'll do damage, but not be too accurate.

Anyway, higher end throwing weapons have only 2 weapons per slot, but still people go pure throwing and can get 6-8 kills easy with those weapons. They're just annoying because they 1-hit constantly. It also takes 7 power throw in order to 1-hit, along with proficiency, which takes a while to get. But just as HA goes, that's no excuse. I would only justify lowering the power to HIGHER-END throwing weapons.

EDIT: Not very well put together, but my point is in there somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:35:44 pm by Reinhardt »
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Shinobi

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
Playing a dedicated thrower is not easy.
As it is now hitting is random more then ever and the hittbox problem where the projectile ghost throe the body is ofcourse frustrating because some know how to exploit this weakness. It was less a problem when the projectiles was faster. (hittbox issue is an engine shortcoming right?)

For one hitting you need to gimp melee and it still isent enough if the target is heavily armed (unless you hitt the head with a Jarid and its hard enough to hitt any part) also having to bring all the weight of projectiles makes you slow so when you miss or ghost it, only one shoot missed means its very, very likely you get closed up on and killed but that may be a healthy balance with the hefty dmg we have right now. Still dedicated heavy throwers is an important factor in the paper, rock scissors game and should be a threat to the pole-arm user and I think they are.   

Throwing was a counter for rangers and xbow men aswell as it could stagger them enough for you to get up close and personal so I welcome a bit more speed and accurate throwing for smaller projectiles with less damage applied  to make hybrids more valid.

Now I like the way Banok thinks because creating ways of mixing and choosing between throwing styles creates diversity and makes it more fun so the best would be if it was a good choice in builds, "fast and accurate low dmg (interupter), slow and inaccurate and a lots of dmg (horsekiller, support and close range glasscannon), a happy medium and a Hybrid choice."

Actually thinking about it, making Power throw be strictly about raising accuracy and weapon points be for more damage would be very interesting now with the harse curve of weapon points at about 100. Food for thoughts.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:47:10 pm by Shinobi »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:59 pm »
The problem is not in the OPness of the individual thrower or anything. The problem is that there are just so many fucking throwers right now. What i see on the servers is at least 1 thrower/hybrid to 1 pure melee player right now. And then there are the archers and crossbowmen (the former of whom was just fucking fine before the arrow buff :/)

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2011, 08:38:54 pm »
Lol @the best throwers have at best 3:1 ratio, the ones i see in the game have 10:1 usually. They are very accurate and do shitloads of damage. They can oneshot full str specced characters wearing plate. I'll reroll agi and spam like a ninja if throwing doesn't get fixed, not much of a choice there. More hp from a str build is meaningless when a throwing weapon can still oneshot you (and it's ironic that a bigger 2h version of the same weapon won't oneshot you).

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »
yeah funny thing is the more people roll a thrower the more powerful throwers become, like an infection because they give each other ammo xD

throwing wpf is currently not worth investing it at all. even more useless than xbow wpf before .200, since you can get way more accuracy from pt.

playing a thrower is not fun because of the randomness and innaccuracy of the projectiles. remove accuacy from power throw, make throwing wpf increase accuacy ALOT. and throwing instantly becomes more fun and viable.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:46:11 pm by Banok »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
Lol @the best throwers have at best 3:1 ratio, the ones i see in the game have 10:1 usually. They are very accurate and do shitloads of damage. They can oneshot full str specced characters wearing plate. I'll reroll agi and spam like a ninja if throwing doesn't get fixed, not much of a choice there. More hp from a str build is meaningless when a throwing weapon can still oneshot you (and it's ironic that a bigger 2h version of the same weapon won't oneshot you).

You're very good at exaggerating. They are NOT accurate and they do NOT one shot full strength specced melee builds while wearing plate. Not even with throwing lances. With PT 9 it takes me 3 (1 times heirloomed) heavy throwing axes to kill a clanmate with 11 IF and MAIL armour.
Pre-patch, with 10 PT, it took me 2 body shots with throwing lances to kill him when he was wearing plate.

Ever got overhead hit by a flameberge or nodachi? Pretty much a 1 hit kill all the time. They can do it over and over again, while my ammo is limited and I'm close to helpless in melee.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »
yeah funny thing is the more people roll a thrower the more powerful throwers become, like an infection because they give each other ammo

Yeah, that's kind of sucky. Dodge 20 throwing axes, but no, your teammates like chucking new ammo over to him...  :lol:

But throwing wpf is worth investing since it gives extra damage (afaik), maybe they could turn it around and have pt increase accuracy mostly and damage a little and wpf increase damage and no accuracy.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 11:57:20 pm »
Yeah, that's kind of sucky. Dodge 20 throwing axes, but no, your teammates like chucking new ammo over to him...  :lol:

But throwing wpf is worth investing since it gives extra damage (afaik), maybe they could turn it around and have pt increase accuracy mostly and damage a little and wpf increase damage and no accuracy.

why would you turn it that way o_O

power throw = damage
wpf = accuracy

like how it works for archery makes so much more sense.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 12:29:23 am »
Well, first thing I think they tried to make wpf affect accuracy, but it didn't work. Maybe it works the other way round.
Also what I really think is bad is when a dangerous thrower can hide behind a huscarl shield. So, ok, you get close and he has to fight in melee but all he does is press RMB. Then you have to leave him alone for a second because someone else attacks you ... and bam, headshot. Of course, that may not affect blockcrush builds very much.

Offline Rogue

• Earl
  • Renown: 332
  • Infamy: 31
  • Margrave of Brandenburg
    • View Profile
    • HRE Forum
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Rogue_HRE Harald_HRE Lodwig_HRE Egidius_HRE
  • IRC nick: Rogue_HRE
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 01:05:19 am »
The problem is not in the OPness of the individual thrower or anything. The problem is that there are just so many fucking throwers right now. What i see on the servers is at least 1 thrower/hybrid to 1 pure melee player right now. And then there are the archers and crossbowmen (the former of whom was just fucking fine before the arrow buff :/)

This.

Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2011, 01:31:00 am »
In my opinion.. There will always be OP classes, and players who whine about it because they can't kill everything they see. So people: Please grow up and try to find a sollution to defeating throwers before you complain on forums. Every class is OP imho. Balbaroth is OP for 1hand, Kalam is OP for 2handspam, ATS guys spam Awlpikes and medium armor like crazy, and kesh is equally OP as an archer. These are the people who have found solutions to killing other Op's and have actually analyzed that their usual strategy isn't going to work...

...This is something we all should do.  :rolleyes: