Author Topic: How to fix throwing  (Read 8452 times)

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
Re: How to fix throwing
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »
Having played a thrower for a long time pre-patch, and having a targeting reticule that was enormous, I still managed to hit my target more than the reticule should have allowed. Call it dumb luck if you like. Personally, I think this mechanic is there, although I have never seen an official statement regarding it.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2011, 08:34:34 pm »
Having played a thrower for a long time pre-patch, and having a targeting reticule that was enormous, I still managed to hit my target more than the reticule should have allowed. Call it dumb luck if you like. Personally, I think this mechanic is there, although I have never seen an official statement regarding it.

Yes, the targeting reticule is very strange. I really don't think it means a lot. Here is what I've noticed...

I have a small piece of blu-tack on my screen marking the centre-point and another about 1cm directly below it to judge elevation. I notice that when I quickly throw a weapon, especially while moving, the projectile really does go almost anywhere within the game's large targeting reticule. If I hold the attack for a few seconds and stop moving, the reticle settles and narrows, but is still large - so far so good. But, any shot that I now fire goes almost precisely down the absolute centre of my screen where the blu-tack is placed - regardless of the dimensions of the game's own targeting reticle. Even in this state, some shots do still go slightly off, but never with the degree of imprecision that the targeting reticule suggests. It's very strange.

My understanding is that reticule is only really there to give you an abstracted idea of the weapon's accuracy at the given time, not a literal one. In other words, when the reticle is enlarged it's less accurate, when it's smaller it's more accurate. That's it. The exact dimensions and the placement of the reticle on-screen are close to meaningless. Frankly, it seems stupid to me.  :?

I would like to hear other thrower's opinions on this, though.

Just do as I do: place something to mark the centre of your screen. Use that for aiming and ignore the game's reticule. You can get some fantastic shots using this method. I wish I'd frapsed some of my hits because I've had some spectacular long range kills using throwing spears, and I've only got 7 PT at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:49:09 pm by Raskolnikov »

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:50 pm »
Oops. This is a mistake. Please delete.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:46:41 pm by Raskolnikov »