Poll

Read the post first. Should armor soak been nerfed and reduce buffed?

No, it's fine as it is.
44 (25.7%)
Yes, slightly reduce the armor soak for less glances and buff reduce in return. Less glances and 1hit deaths.
53 (31%)
Yes, greatly nerf soak and buff reduce decently. No more glances and 1hits please.
28 (16.4%)
Buff soak and reduce. Armor should be worth it and glances are fine.
29 (17%)
Nerf soak and reduce. Armor is too strong currently.
3 (1.8%)
Leave the values alone but lower the interruption threshold(to 0) to make glancing blows always interrupt.
7 (4.1%)
I don't care.
7 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: Possible change to armor handling: increase damage reduce, decrease soak effect.  (Read 12401 times)

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Haha, did kronic just tell me to learn how to play?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
I had the feeling with my numberous alts that powerstrike is too important. I find myself stacking it even with 0 melee wpf "pure" ranged builds. It's just so important to be able to interrupt someone in melee.
0 wpf is ok because the influence on damage is low and the speed loss can be compensated with personal skill. 0 PS is.. a challenge because one has to charge up every hit against a tin can and hope for a decent dice roll.

I don't like the luck factor. It's ok for me if I need 8, 10 or 15 hits as long as I don't bounce of with hit number 7 on perfect range and sweetspot position just because of a high armor roll.
For Baldrider: The bad sweetspot glances will still happen. The penalty here is very big and still reduces the damage below the glance treshold. Good positioning and decent hit angles are still needed to overcome soak.

It might sound a little dumb, but 0 PT will also make you basically useless as a thrower, 0 ath dooms you when things don't go right, 0 wm will turn your first weapon into worse than a secondary for an hybrid and 0 shield for a shielder is meh. PS doesn't really deserve a nerf IMO.

I think we should do a general buff to heavy armor somehow (maybe something completly different than this, like decreasing the price), and a nerf to agility. Decreasing the soak factor might favor agility builds even more than what they are currently.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
Wait, agility builds are considered as being overpowered at the moment?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Wait, agility builds are considered as being overpowered at the moment?

The scoreboards and majority of the vocal player-base opinion say otherwise.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline BaldRider

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The internet and sarcasm :(

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
I had the feeling with my numberous alts that powerstrike is too important. I find myself stacking it even with 0 melee wpf "pure" ranged builds. It's just so important to be able to interrupt someone in melee.
0 wpf is ok because the influence on damage is low and the speed loss can be compensated with personal skill. 0 PS is.. a challenge because one has to charge up every hit against a tin can and hope for a decent dice roll.

I don't like the luck factor. It's ok for me if I need 8, 10 or 15 hits as long as I don't bounce of with hit number 7 on perfect range and sweetspot position just because of a high armor roll.
For Baldrider: The bad sweetspot glances will still happen. The penalty here is very big and still reduces the damage below the glance treshold. Good positioning and decent hit angles are still needed to overcome soak.

So you really want to nerf armor because you, as an archer, bounce a lot on tincans? This might sound a bit harsh, but such a statement makes me question your position on the dev team.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
Yep.
Pure strength or mostly strength melee builds are the best at dueling, battle, and especially siege of all the characters.
I have to say 30-9 or the more extreme 36-3 are hands down the most effective duel & melee builds in game. It isn't like you can be spammed even with that little agi, you can't be outfootworked even with 1 ath either. Unless you are 1 ath full black armor like some idiot.
Balanced builds are nice and decent, but agi stackers are easy one hit kills. Agi builds I must say are the absolute worse since they gain nothing and glance alot and still take at the least 5 hits to kill me in light/medium armor if they don't.

I'm all for this armor change. I'll still be doing strength builds for dueling, this will hardly change how ridiculously good strength builds are. It will bring some balance to agi though, and I'm all for more characters being viable.

I've been playing around with instant level 30s all past 2 weeks, and I have gotten my highest KDR on 36-3 with both 2h or pole arm, both are close in effectiveness. Average match was at lowest 5 to 1 K-D, closer to 8-1.
I made a strength onehander that used a torch. I went 11-0 one map with a torch.  With a regular onehanded word? Oh my god ridiculous. I think using the torch I averaged 4-1 K/D.

I can't do that good on a super serious hoplite even. Using a hoplite perfectly I can't even come close to a strength build jokingly using a torch in effectiveness.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:39:27 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
Yep.
Pure strength or mostly strength melee builds are the best at dueling, battle, and especially siege of all the characters.
I have to say 30-9 or the more extreme 36-3 are hands down the most effective duel & melee builds in game. It isn't like you can be spammed even with that little agi, you can't be outfootworked even with 1 ath either. Unless you are 1 ath full black armor like some idiot.
Balanced builds are nice and decent, but agi stackers are easy one hit kills. Agi builds I must say are the absolute worse since they gain nothing and glance alot and still take at the least 5 hits to kill me in light/medium armor if they don't.

I'm all for this armor change. I'll still be doing strength builds for dueling, this will hardly change how ridiculously good strength builds are. It will bring some balance to agi though, and I'm all for more characters being viable.

I've been playing around with instant level 30s all past 2 weeks, and I have gotten my highest KDR on 36-3 with both 2h or pole arm, both are close in effectiveness. Average match was at lowest 5 to 1 K-D, closer to 8-1.
I made a strength onehander that used a torch. I went 11-0 one map with a torch, and with a regular onehanded word? Oh my god ridiculous. I think using the torch I averaged 4-1 K/D.

I can't do that good on a super serious hoplite even.

Sad but true, my character I posted waay back a few months ago does work rather well on siege, 36-3, 12 PS and 11IF. Uses a 98 speed 2 hander and honestly as long as I keep my cool I can hold my own when timing correctly. I still get floored with feinting but that is more a statement of my player skills.

EDIT: I do think if I did a 30-9 build it would have been better though... Higher wpf would allow me a larger window of opportunity for return swings.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:38:44 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
I edited that post while you were replying if you would like to edit your quote.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
I edited that post while you were replying if you would like to edit your quote.

Done and done.  :)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
I don't want to derail the topic, but 30-9 with: 10 PS, 7 IF, 3 ath, 3 WM; is way to good. Try it tears. You get 130 WPF so you aren't slow at all and can even get away with heavy armor.

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
I don't want to derail the topic, but 30-9 with: 10 PS, 7 IF, 3 ath, 3 WM; is way to good. Try it tears. You get 130 WPF so you aren't slow at all and can even get away with heavy armor.

that's the heart of the problem, or near it, because a 36 3 guy will end up with over 115 wpp in one weapon class(my level 27 polearmALT has 33 str 3 agi and still gets 113 polearm wpf @ 1 wm, so at level 30 I guess he'll be like 116ish?

thats what kills agi being important, invest nothing in agi stat, you get nearly 120 wpp(which combined with any fast weapon from any class and you are actually faster than a higher wpp guy with a slow weapon!

*walt's research proved that*

Added to the fact that wpp barely makes a real increase in your swing speed, especially when you're splitting proverbial dick hairs between a Level 30 character w/12 PS @ 119 WPP vs say a Level 30 w/6 PS @ 155ish ( I mean 48% percent more damage bonus combined with the fact 40 wpp doesn't make a hell of difference once you factor in weapon/armor choice of the two guys

my 11 PS with a shortened spear in a peasant robe can be the deadliest guy on the server, that alt ought to be the slowest swing in the land if character creation was fixed

1 WM, fine but at level 30 you should be maxed at 30-50 WPP per weapon class like in single player campaign(where WM limits your max wpp you can have in any one weapon class)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 01:40:12 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
Hmmm, maybe the WM limit like Kronic explained combined with an IF buff would balance things out? If you only do the limit, STR builds will become completely unviable.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
Fuck no, armor is already sucky enough as it is, dont give even more reason to not use armor.
I personally enjoy using heavy armor but if I were to try and play in the most efficient way I would throw the armor away without thinking and now you want to make it even worst? Thats bullshit.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
Why do you say armor becomes useless?
Against weak attacks armor will be worse, against strong attacks armor will be better.