Poll

Read the post first. Should armor soak been nerfed and reduce buffed?

No, it's fine as it is.
44 (25.7%)
Yes, slightly reduce the armor soak for less glances and buff reduce in return. Less glances and 1hit deaths.
53 (31%)
Yes, greatly nerf soak and buff reduce decently. No more glances and 1hits please.
28 (16.4%)
Buff soak and reduce. Armor should be worth it and glances are fine.
29 (17%)
Nerf soak and reduce. Armor is too strong currently.
3 (1.8%)
Leave the values alone but lower the interruption threshold(to 0) to make glancing blows always interrupt.
7 (4.1%)
I don't care.
7 (4.1%)

Total Members Voted: 171

Author Topic: Possible change to armor handling: increase damage reduce, decrease soak effect.  (Read 12391 times)

Offline King Shaka Zulu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
METAL SKIN BAD

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
It already is pretty much useless.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Why do you say armor becomes useless?
Against weak attacks armor will be worse, against strong attacks armor will be better.

This make no sense....

But i guess archers and agi stacker's/spammers will be pleased...

Atleast if you implement this fail idea atleast reduce the upkeep of High tier armors since they will be obsolete after your change anyone and their mother will switch to AGI builds so strong attacks wont mean shit...

Again why change something that all ready works with something that clearly just buff AGI builds and Archers+?

The way it is now if you go with and AGI build you trade DMG for speed with your idea you gain both by goin with AGI build....

Dont come here and say that with just 120 wpf your able to beat Phyrex cicero and plenty of other guys with fast weapons and wpf thats bullshit they eat any str build for breakfast 

Go to the duel server and then comeback and say that pure str builds can take on everything cause thats utter bullshit lmao  :lol:

The current game each class/build has its role

Archers = support/kill stealers

Xbows = support/1shooters

2h/pole str build = support/with slow but high dmg attacks

2h/pole agi build = duel/rambo

Cav = Vultures of the battlefield killing anyone splitted from the group that doesnt carry a 245/300 meter length pike

1h = support/rambo

HA = support

Its a nice balance dont ruin it... becauese some people are too lasy to learn to block and counter attack a slow ass giant with low wpf and high dmg...

PS why make the survey when you clearly dont listen to it...  :?:

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,5439.0.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:24:06 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
if you wanna know whats better between agi and str... consider that a 36/3 build is not only viable, but very dangerous... whereas a 3/36 build is comic relief only.

Offline Rhaelys

• Duke
  • Renown: 509
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: Rhaelys_BlockLeft_of_Chaos
As a heavy armor (68 body) polearm-spamming strength build (currently 25/15 at 31) I voted to slightly decrease soak and increase reduce, even though it would be a direct nerf to my playstyle. Glances are too easy to cause, especially with minimum footwork. Power Strike is absolutely essential to even stand a chance in melee, rather than being just a solid skill to invest in.

It may be worth considering increasing reduce by a larger relative margin than decreasing soak. From what I have briefly gathered, people are fearing the return of 15/24 agi-spam melee builds with the proposed soak nerf. While it is true that strength builds in melee currently reign supreme on the battlefield, increasing reduce by a larger margin than decreasing soak would help stabilize the balance of strength versus agility builds.

Agility builds might have little trouble landing quick, solid hits that do not glance, but they should sacrifice their killing power by needing to land more hits than a strength build.

To achieve that, it may be worth considering increasing the difficulty requirements of armor across the board. Thus, the strength builds would get the heavy armor that would not necessarily spell the death of opponents with low Power Strike or low damage weapons, but would instead afford consistent, increased survivability.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:15:40 am by Rhaelys »

Quote from: Uumdi
sweet of you guys to celebrate my birthday
wait you're talking about that devils lettuce arent you, god damnit
Quote from: Kreczor
yo you want to burn some sweet romaine tonight?
Quote from: Uumdi
yeah i smoke that dirty green shit fuck iceberg

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
your far more likely to see a higher agility balanced build raping aload of your team than a strength guy simply because he cant get his hits down as fast oor position himself as easily.

Seems like a nerf to Armour, which isnt really needed from my experiences, wiffs come normally because of your own mistake. playing as a pikeman, timing is everything and if i mess up my thrust im exposed and 9 times out of 10 dead.

If these values are changed it should result in either a buff to the values given to higher tier armours or a reduction in their cost, to make the tank build more viable in game.
Turtles

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
yeah Ive wanted bounce to be removed for a long time so +1

I didn't understand the last bit about the problem with changed interupt threshold to 0.

but ideally even a lvl 1 peasant with a wooden stick should be able to kill a lvl 30 in plate, it might have to take him 100 blows but now its impossible because of the bounce you just get spammed.

right now high agility builds are pretty useless, even if bounce removed, outside of duel server high str builds will still be vastly superior.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
Thats bull banok, unless the armor gets a buff back, be it more armor or less wpf hit.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
whats the problem? pauls suggestion isn't a direct nerf to armour although I use heavy armour it could probably do with a nerf we want to see more varied play styles.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Its varied enough, it does not need a nerf at all.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Bouncing is one of my favourite features. Keeps stupid spammers in their place, else high agi 1hs would rule the world. And who wants that?
Turtles

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
I don't want to derail the topic, but 30-9 with: 10 PS, 7 IF, 3 ath, 3 WM; is way to good. Try it tears. You get 130 WPF so you aren't slow at all and can even get away with heavy armor.
(click to show/hide)

thats why I made this most excellent suggestion, which when originally voiced on irc all the guys agreed with but when I posted here it got ignored and down voted cause most posters are stupid and don't like change.

I'm making chars with 0 wm. Marathon your build would be better with 0 wm you would lose only 10 wpf but gain 3 points in iron flesh!

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Bouncing is one of my favourite features. Keeps stupid spammers in their place, else high agi 1hs would rule the world. And who wants that?

Paul

Cant wait to be instagibbed by kinggrimm when he facehug me and spam me to death...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:41:08 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
thats why I made this most excellent suggestion, which when originally voiced on irc all the guys agreed with but when I posted here it got ignored and down voted cause most posters are stupid and don't like change.

I'm making chars with 0 wm. Marathon your build would be better with 0 wm you would lose only 10 wpf but gain 3 points in iron flesh!
The difference of 111 wpf and 130 is what armor you can get away with. with 0 Wm you can't wear full plate, you'll be molasses. Unless you are wallace who does that exact thing, but he chambers when he attacks.
With 130 WPF you can wear plate and not be spammed.
36-3 has no WM and is best from light or medium to mid-high armor.

back on topic.
What is with people thinking this is a nerf to armor? You are getting increased damage reduction, at the cost of stupid randomness. Honestly, this is better for both armor wearers and the attackers, since skill matters more. If you out footwork them, you'll make them glance due to reduced damage and not a random generator. Bad sweetspot and distance control will matter more, and stupid random glances will matter less.
Bob, this would help you particularly since you are a really good player.
Besides, Paul did not say he was removing soak or anything. He was just toying with the idea of lessening it but increasing reduction.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:01:40 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Your resistance is futile, on next patch we're all getting Kinngrimmed.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.