Author Topic: On The Grind  (Read 7285 times)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
Re: On The Grind
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 12:21:45 am »
YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT TO DO WHEN U GET TO LEVEL 30?

Buy a robe, a leather cap, some ankle boots and leather gloves. Find yourself a trusty staff and go out smashing people to shit!

Or grind to 31 and retire, m'kay?
Turtles

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 12:24:22 am »
Then what? This game is fun to play sure, but why not just play native? This mod is about becoming good while retaining a persistent character, or am I wrong about that? People want to continually approve, not just in skills but in some sort of measurable way. That's why the servers were constantly filled prepatch, because they all aspired to be not only good skillwise, but distinguished equipment wise as well.

I love how everyone is just resorting to thinly veiled ad hominem attacks. Come on guys, just because it remains fun for you doesn't mean that that's the case for everyone.
Just because I troll doesn't mean I don't care.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 12:27:51 am »
What I meant to say is try playing with different equipment, and in a different style, vary your weapons use different tactics.  The brilliance of the mod is the diversity and the choice so use it.

Also you will be able to retire soon be patient.
Turtles

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 12:28:26 am »
I always aim for people in heavier armor/recognizable kit. If I see a PrideCrusher or someone similar I aim for them. It's more fun to fight someone that has the potential to absolutely crush you.

Recently I switched from 1h and shield to polearm (even though I have 1 WPF in it) and I'm having more fun. It's frustrating, because I'd love to retire my guy into a polearm user.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 12:36:49 am »
Yeah i read that...

Still my point stands, use different weapons from each tier you'll find they're all very different.

The difference between a poleaxe and a pike, the difference between a pike and a hafted blade or a staff. Its the variety that makes it interesting and the challenge that comes with using different weapons. You must have experienced it when you switch from 1h to pole arm so surely you will notice it if you just mix up your equipment choices each round.

Anyway like I said just be patient and wait for retirement. As I'm sure you've read chadz post by now you should know about it...
Turtles

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 12:40:00 am »
Yeah, I'm struggling with manual block.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 12:46:13 am »
Then what? This game is fun to play sure, but why not just play native?

Because native doesn't allow me to use a Langes messer, with a heater shield while wearing a klappvisor, leather boots, mail guantlets, and a red tunic over chain.  Nor does it allow me to get rid of worthless stats for my playstyle and improve only the ones that suit how I play.  I don't need throwing, nor do I need an excessive amount of 2her/polearm skill points when I use a 1h/shield or 1h no shield 90% of the time.

Native doesn't allow me customization, which is why during native I was a naked 2h user with 3 stacks of throwing "w/e the faction had to throw" 99% of the time.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Bothersome_Aldryk

• Baron
  • Renown: 124
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 01:02:02 am »
I agree with the people stating that the draw of CRPG is having a customizable character, not just being able to grind until your stats are better than other people's stats. To me, the biggest draw about continuing to play this game is to get better. I enjoy becoming more skilled and being able to stand on even footing against people who previously stomped all over me. This is the way a PVP based game should work, IMO.

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 01:06:16 am »
I agree with the people stating that the draw of CRPG is having a customizable character, not just being able to grind until your stats are better than other people's stats. To me, the biggest draw about continuing to play this game is to get better. I enjoy becoming more skilled and being able to stand on even footing against people who previously stomped all over me. This is the way a PVP based game should work, IMO.

I'm saying that there's a fine line between the two, yes, I think getting more skilled is great, but alone that's not enough in this case.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 01:08:13 am »
Native doesn't allow me customization, which is why during native I was a naked 2h user with 3 stacks of throwing "w/e the faction had to throw" 99% of the time.

That reminds me something from the siege server today... Ha-ha. Just an observation. Dont put them "troll points" on me!

I am actually pretty happy now, since New Patch Addon has been announced! A bone has been thrown in grinding public's direction, and i will happily chew on it! Can't wait! Nom nom nom!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline SalmonGod

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 01:26:15 am »
I really don't understand the appeal in spending time not having fun for the sake of eventually maybe having fun.    Character building doesn't have to mean number farming.  It can also mean customization, tweaking, and practice until you develop your own play style and the best combination of values to complement it.

I started playing crpg because native didn't have much customization.  Everyone except the top players was outfitted in the same stuff.  There wasn't much flexibility.  It was boring.  I wanted a chance to explore a broader range of gameplay possibilities and hopefully end up finding a way to be more unique.  Crpg gives me that chance.  It's just unfortunate that I'm supposed to spend a bunch of time farming numbers first.  I'm glad there's less emphasis on that now.

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 01:43:49 am »
I'm saying that I want to customize further! I want to try out polearms, but I also want my benefits for putting so much time into this character.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 02:05:30 am »
Post-patch is starting to feel more and more like a grind then it ever felt like to me pre-patch between upkeep - level 31 retirement, slower xp gain since hotfix.  I dont know if chadz has some idea that the harder it is to level up, the mor epeople enjoy it,  but its a bit overkill to make level 31 as hard to get to as from level 1 to 30 and then makin retirement only at 31.  Completely not worth the time for 1 heirloomed item.  Does he realize he removed 90% of the benefits of retirement?
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline HeroZero

• Wannabe lawyer
  • Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 02:08:14 am »
Post-patch is starting to feel more and more like a grind then it ever felt like to me pre-patch between upkeep - level 31 retirement, slower xp gain since hotfix.  I dont know if chadz has some idea that the harder it is to level up, the mor epeople enjoy it,  but its a bit overkill to make level 31 as hard to get to as from level 1 to 30 and then makin retirement only at 31.  Completely not worth the time for 1 heirloomed item.  Does he realize he removed 90% of the benefits of retirement?

I agree with this too. This is kinda crazy.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 02:10:51 am »
I'm saying that I want to customize further! I want to try out polearms, but I also want my benefits for putting so much time into this character.

So.... you want everything....

:rolleyes:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?