Author Topic: On The Grind  (Read 7044 times)

Offline AirPhforce

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: On The Grind
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2011, 02:14:10 am »
So.... you want everything....

:rolleyes:

I'd like to retire at 30. It takes over a week to get there playing realistically, so I think that's a good point to be at for retirement. However, 30 to 31 takes as long as making a whole character and getting it to 30, which seems excessive.

Offline Rokem

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2011, 02:30:42 am »
Maybe they could make it so you can retire at 30 but you only get the heirloomed item if you retire at 31. Just throwing stuff out there.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 05:39:22 am »
Look, there's a simple thing about the grind business. M&B has a great melee engine, and a guy who just spends all the time waiting to get xp will never learn to use it ... which simply means that a guy who just grinded to the top, who can still get a lot of kills through his boni and randomness and scares the shit out of you, is terribly afraid of a level 24 with a club, and when you can actually corner him a far more boring fight than a good player in mediocre gear.
And that's the entire point, you can either have a game with challenging interesting fights, or you can have boring fights against grinders, which just mostly feel like click-click-click-dead ... etc. ... oh, shit a random glance killed me.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 10:18:27 am »
Okay... THE SOFT LEVEL CAP, I REPEAT LEVEL CAP is 30, it makes no sense whatsoever that to retire you must reach a level HIGHER then the LEVEL CAP.  Is anyone else wondering what chadz was thinking?  Isnt the whole point of a level cap that people dont go past it (SOFT = vast majority dont go past it)?  Yet you are rewarded with a heirloom if you try to break the level cap.  Why didnt he keep it at level 30 like he mentioned before when discussing the patch in early dec./late nov.?
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Helrekkr

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_Helrekkr
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2011, 10:19:31 am »
He is buffing heirlooms I believe. He is going to give you 1 heirloom for 3 former ones too.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2781
  • Infamy: 1165
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 01:24:39 pm »
Okay... THE SOFT LEVEL CAP, I REPEAT LEVEL CAP is 30, it makes no sense whatsoever that to retire you must reach a level HIGHER then the LEVEL CAP.  Is anyone else wondering what chadz was thinking?  Isnt the whole point of a level cap that people dont go past it (SOFT = vast majority dont go past it)?  Yet you are rewarded with a heirloom if you try to break the level cap.  Why didnt he keep it at level 30 like he mentioned before when discussing the patch in early dec./late nov.?

Aren't you gen 16 or something like that. Why do you care about retirement?

Personally, I agree with you. Lvl 31 is too much, even if you play a lot like me. But I don't see why is that concerning you. You already earn 2.5k XP per tick and that's on x1 modifier.

I think that chadz is worried that lvl 30 retirement will brake the balance he achieved with last patch. On the other hand he said that game wasn't fun, felt grindy. Lvl 31 retirement is grindy as it gets.

There is a way to keep the balance in line but that would hurt veterans too much. Retirement from lvl 15 like it was before but with one minor difference. When you pass lvl 30 and requirement for retirement becomes lvl 31 your max level will become lvl 31 until you retire again, then you'll have to reach lvl 32 but you won't be able to surpass it and so on.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2011, 01:31:06 pm »
Yes, level 31 is grindy as hell. That's why I set it there, for people who like achievements. For the rest, it's neither gamebreaking, nor required to retire.

It is up to you if you want to participate in the grind race or not.

I, for one, will not.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 635
  • Infamy: 1242
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:42 pm »
There are people who retire because they want to play a new class every week. True, there are alts but some of us like our families way too much to just leave them and start a new one ;)

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2011, 01:57:32 pm »
pff 31 is doable (adjusted my build to level 31)
32 is hard ;D
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2011, 02:17:49 pm »
pff 31 is doable (adjusted my build to level 31)

So did I, uhm, be accident rather, as the game distributed my points in a manner that is different than my plan. Bug. Anyway, now I have something to go for (lvl 28 now). I like that, it is good to have some long term goal. But still, do not think I am a grinder, as it is a very long term plan for me. So long, that I do not even bother myself with how much xp I got each round. I do care for gold and playing smart. I truly enjoy the post-patch version of this game as I find it more playable. The balance between classes is definitely better. I do not miss all these heavy plated guys, although it is always nice to meet one or two on the battlefield. Sometimes I wear may heavy-ish gear and enjoy that. It is costly, you say. Well, think when you play, it helps... 

On grinding: I believe that everyone has his/her inner grinder. It is an easy way of competition and we all are tempted to go this way. The patch put more stress on more difficult one - skill improvement. And I think that this game actually needs both, and well balanced. The direction chadz adopted looks good for starters. We will see how it is going to develop. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:19:38 pm by Erasmas »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 02:24:28 pm »
I might add a "weak" retirement without a level requirement - it just resets your xp and level to 0.

Offline krampe

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Count Palatine of the Rhine
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pony
  • Game nicks: krampe and the moons
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »
I might add a "weak" retirement without a level requirement - it just resets your xp and level to 0.

How much XP from level 0 to 1? :D

P.S. Sorry for trolololo
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:29:17 pm by krampe »
Sacrum Romanum Imperium

Yeah, well you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Offline Erasmas

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The crows had come
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Erasmas_the_Grey
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 02:34:53 pm »

That would not be harmful, I guess there are guys who are waiting for retirement just because they made mistakes in points distribution or suffered form the same bug as i did. I assume that after soft retirement one would keep gold and items, otherwise it would be like deletion of char and creation and alt.

One thing I wanted to add: one group suffered a lot from the patch - aesthetic maniacs who like to look good in their armour, which may be difficult to use now. I am more pragmatic type, but I heard such voices.

EDIT: Soft retirement would need to cost some gold, one should inherit only a portion of gold he has. Otherwise it could be a way for stockpiling.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:45:10 pm by Erasmas »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2011, 03:28:52 pm »
chadz on the other forum you were thinking on adding 1 attribute change into skill point to go with the one already ingame which changed 2 skill points into 1 attribute.

Will this be ingame in some patch or won't be added?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2011, 05:04:24 pm »

+1 :), a lot of us made mistakes, or made characters that now no longer makes sense after the hotfix and this new development and Im sure once the strategus patch hits this will be true for even more people.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo