Author Topic: Throwing weapons (need balancing )  (Read 16801 times)

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
Re: Throwing weapons (maybe a slight damage reduction?)
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2011, 09:20:59 am »
Again - im not a primary thrower, 1h wpf is at 125 and throwing is 115. With fat plate it decreases to about 60. I wear 2 stacks of heavy throwing axes and i rarely 1shot anyone (well horses about 40%, those without armor ofc, but people around 25% mostly peasants and not even headshots get the job done). I do however, agree that there is a huge difference between axes and lances/jarids/darts, those piercing things hurt like hell no matter the armor and they mostly 1 shot people (i mean isnt it a bit ridiculous that a war dart 1shots a 40+ body armor while an axe in the head doesnt insta-kill ?)
The fact i often stay among the last alive in my team is not because im a thrower but rather because i am AWARE of the situation and i dont play like a blind moron, just going straightforward (without looking around) and expecting that others will do the job for me. Also, note that it was the same when i was an xbow hybrid, its about using your god damn brains, not using an OP build.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2011, 09:47:11 am »
Err ... we can't all stand in the backrow...
Axes are very bad for shield users, a wardart I'd try to catch so it hits noone else, but 2 or 3 axes and I'm thrower bait myself.

Offline Ginosaji

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kukurutz, Whale_of_pure_Harmony, Topfentascherl, TRAFFIC_LIGHT
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2011, 10:16:18 am »
Again - im not a primary thrower, 1h wpf is at 125 and throwing is 115. With fat plate it decreases to about 60. I wear 2 stacks of heavy throwing axes and i rarely 1shot anyone (well horses about 40%, those without armor ofc, but people around 25% mostly peasants and not even headshots get the job done).

I can confirm that. My build has about the same 1h/throwing stats as yours (except that my build has higher PT and no shield and far less skill :P) and I rarely 1shot anything with armor. I mostly kill horses because they're running towards me and I can headshot them.

About the shield-breaking: I can't break a strong shield with less then 5 or 6 axes. That's more than enough time for the shielder to come in melee range or to get cover.
Light shields brake from 1 or 2 axes and that's OK IMHO, those shields break fast in melee too. People can also dodge throwing axes very easily because they're slow.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:19:32 am by Ginosaji »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:54 am »
I have 7 PT and 104 wpf and I can generally oneshot a cloth/leather armoured person quite often (and mailed horsemen riding at me, due to speed bonus). People in mail take two shots or a headshot. Horses are often oneshotted if I hit them in their front side while moving.  With one more PT (or heirloomed heavy throwing axes) I'm guessing the list of people who die to one throw would be much expanded.

Best thing is the part where you can spam them while moving - to keep people on their toes, and to score a easy kill or two before melee.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:23:44 am by bruce »
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2011, 10:30:49 am »
I would remove damage bonus from power throw and make wpp add more accuracy.

EDIT:

with my pt 11 it takes me 3 shots to kill a medium armor with my throwing daggers, which is i'd say unfair,
on the other hand throwing lances which takes 1 shot are extremly inaccurate.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:34:06 am by gazda »

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:22 am »
I agree with Thomek here, the biggest problem is 1h+ throwing hybrids with shields who constantly backpedal. Something should be done with throwing, everyone and his mom/dad/goldfish has throwing nowadays and it is not even close to the word " balanced " . I've started this topic some time ago, but now things are getting even worse and so far there is no end to it.

I see three solutions :

- drastic decrease of the "reload speed" of throwing weapons .  Backpedalling won't be as annoying and deadly.    *My personal favorite*

- significant decrease in the amount of profectiles per stack

- moderate damage reduction. Although i believe this won't solve the problem now anyway, throwing is still too good to not have it
Some decent suggestions people have here, what do you think about my first one ? Hate to quote myself =).

P.S. changed topic's name a little bit to make it reffer more to the real conversation going on here.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:36:58 am by Shogunate_Ujin »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2011, 10:37:32 am »
Some decent suggestions people have here, what do you think about my first one ? Hate to quote myself =).

I think it's a great solution, but it would require that someone makes the reloading animations.
Best ban reason ever:
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2011, 10:43:11 am »
I think it's a great solution, but it would require that someone makes the reloading animations.
I was talking about the delay between throws, at the moment it's very, very short, with some throwing weapons (like daggers) you can even stunlock people. . From what i understand, the "spd rtng"  stat on throwing weapons is responsible for this. I'm not sure if it can be changed manually though.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
Re: Throwing weapons (need balancing )
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2011, 11:30:45 am »
We must not have been hit by the same throwing weapon.
I've got 1 jarrid in the arm, a javelin and a heavy axe in the body, i'm still alive...
I've got 67hp that's the same as a dedicated inf with 18 str and 6 IF

The only time i one hit with javelins is either a damaged opponent or a low level wearing no armor

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2011, 11:34:52 am »
Well duh, it depends on who the thrower is.

What would make throwing bearable? Nerf the "olol i'mma backpedal and throw shit at you forever" ... this is especially fucking annoying in slopes, other uneven terrain and water.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 11:36:28 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 26, 2011, 12:14:04 pm »
I used gothic plate for 1 day and once got killed by 1 (one) throwing axe in the chest. Usually it took 2-3.

In my medium armor (46 ba) i easily get onehit by jarids, two hit by throwing axes  and all sorts of other crap flying around. If a throwing weapon is less powerfull (shurikens, daggers) , than it's fast as fuck and can stunlock you anyway. And don't even make me count how many times my horse (heavy sarranid) has been 1hit by throwing weapons of all sorts.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #86 on: January 26, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
And don't even make me count how many times my horse (heavy sarranid) has been 1hit by throwing weapons of all sorts.
that's because you run straight at the thrower, if you take a jarrid from the side the horse need more than one to go down.
You don't run straight into pike do you ?  :wink:
If you gamble sometime you loose.

Well duh, it depends on who the thrower is.
So somebody that sacrificed speed should not get a trade off ?
When i face a two hander with this alt i can't even strike back because i get massively oupsammed but still a lot of two hander instead of running toward me for a easy kill turn they back on me.
hitting somebody that is zigzagging is all about luck or reading into the future, at the speed the projectile are going,  it is very hard.

Offline Ujin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2011, 01:19:07 pm »
that's because you run straight at the thrower, if you take a jarrid from the side the horse need more than one to go down.
You don't run straight into pike do you ?  :wink:
If you gamble sometime you loose.
So somebody that sacrificed speed should not get a trade off ?
When i face a two hander with this alt i can't even strike back because i get massively oupsammed but still a lot of two hander instead of running toward me for a easy kill turn they back on me.
hitting somebody that is zigzagging is all about luck or reading into the future, at the speed the projectile are going,  it is very hard.
Excuse me , but with so much shit flying around you can never predict when or where you will get hit. Of course i don't run straight into throwers , but that doesn't help since almost everyone has throwing weapons.

Offline bruce

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2011, 01:23:13 pm »

Because you're using a slow crush through weapon. Try using a normal twohander instead of a slow crushing weapon if you don't want to be outspammed.
Best ban reason ever:

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »
I used gothic plate for 1 day and once got killed by 1 (one) throwing axe in the chest. Usually it took 2-3.

In my medium armor (46 ba) i easily get onehit by jarids, two hit by throwing axes  and all sorts of other crap flying around. If a throwing weapon is less powerfull (shurikens, daggers) , than it's fast as fuck and can stunlock you anyway. And don't even make me count how many times my horse (heavy sarranid) has been 1hit by throwing weapons of all sorts.

Hardly, must be 10+ PT, not sure if even that should do it when you are in gothic. Maybe you got  hit in the head but it looked like you got hit in the chest, the axe model is fcked up. Also i see people with axes sticking out of their heads all the time.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.