Author Topic: Throwing weapons (need balancing )  (Read 16758 times)

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Throwing weapons (maybe a slight damage reduction?)
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »
I can perma stun people with 40-50 armour using throwing knives with 6pt 100wpf :o

The ease of reloading between shots should be decreased but compensated for by an increase in accuracy and a return to pre-patch flight speeds.

Yeah, throwing weapons reload too fast. I'm ok with powerful throws (maybe not as powerful as current, but i feel that there should be damage reduction across the board) that are accurate and actual throwing take little time. I only ask for reload animations to take some time (i even agree that shield user can block with shield when he reloads), so throwers don't act like machineguns.
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Raskolnikov

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 05:07:13 pm »
As Leiknir said, as soon as your target knows you're trying to hit them, it becomes almost impossible to hit them.

Dedicated throwers must have it quite tough. I'm not brave enough to go all the way, so I have a hybrid. Roughly half of my kills are made using a barmace or morningstar. Ideally foes are dead before they get to me, but since it's so diffcult to hit a maneuvering enemy, I usually just expect to soften them up before the inevitable melee. If I'm lucky, high PS allows my to down them quickly; against good blockers with fast footwork and high agility, I'm usually dead - sometimes before I can even switch to a melee weapon.

Personally, I don't really want to see throwing damage getting reduced, but would consider supporting it if it meant an increase in projectile speed and accuracy.

Offline Boughtthefarm

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 12:06:50 pm »
Well, sir, while I fully respect your opinion, there's even throwers in this thread that suggest some nerfing changes.

Many thanks, however I think the nerfers are looking at a PT of 10!!  I would need 30 Str to do that, I dont think I have enough free time to ever get that high??

Surely throwing is just showing up more as more people have started on the low cost knife option.  I suggest let it stand for a few more months and then review.

Gives me more time to enjoy the very rare headshot !!

Offline Boughtthefarm

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
For information below is a comparison of accuracy between a dedicated thrower with 10pt and 105 wpf and a dedicated bowman with 6PD and 8wm all wpf into archery.

I think this is a case in point 10pt??  I must not be a proper thrower with only Power Throw 6.

Surely this is a rare thrower??? Or am I completely off mark?

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 12:36:23 pm »
Meh... I'm getting there. 1 more level for PT 10. I'll hit level 27 then.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Wulzzz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:21 pm »
Have you guys even tried making a thrower char?
I made one with 10 PT using heavy axes and well..
MOST of the time i don't even kill 1 enemy because the accuracy isn't ultra 1337, i can easily get raped by cav if i don't spot them early enough, my moving speed and weapon swing speed is shitty.And some guys can easily evade my axes even when they run towards me.....And no, 10PT can't hit 1 ANYONE.Full black armor needs over 2 heavy axes btw

Ye sometimes it happens that 1 thrower kill 5 people in 1 round, it also happens that 1 cav,1 ninja char, etc etc kill 7 in 1 round

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2011, 02:28:19 pm »
@Wulzzz
You should try javelin for better accuracy and range, heavy axes are fine but for very close range only.
only problem with jav,jarrid and spears is that they often go right trough the enemy without hitting them. hitbox are messed up

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 03:30:16 pm »
Well let me put it like this:
I often end up in the top 10 on the score board but pretty much never hit the first place ever although i would count myself to the better throwing players.

Throwing as it is right now requires good judgment of the shot speed especially on axes and a portion of luck as the throws still are really random.
People who run straight at a thrower with their shields up and keep going after their shield explodes are just stupid... same for jumpers except when they are really close.

There are quite a few people who know how to evade throws which are almost impossible to hit for me.

I see how people can get frustrated about throwing but then again it's the same with 2h spamming, shields, archers, crossbows and cav...

I still think making throwing accuracy dependent on WPF will reduce the amount of throwers without hitting dedicated throwers too hard while and it will also slightly nerf the damage as some agi will be required for Weapon Master.
The big problem right now really is the flood of throwers if you take a look at the ground you see as much throwing stuff as arrows and bolts which sure is bad for everyone without a decent shield.

You've just been Tomahawked.

Offline Boughtthefarm

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2011, 04:15:57 pm »
Well let me put it like this:
I often end up in the top 10 on the score board but pretty much never hit the first place ever although i would count myself to the better throwing players.

Throwing as it is right now requires good judgment of the shot speed especially on axes and a portion of luck as the throws still are really random.
People who run straight at a thrower with their shields up and keep going after their shield explodes are just stupid... same for jumpers except when they are really close.

There are quite a few people who know how to evade throws which are almost impossible to hit for me.

I see how people can get frustrated about throwing but then again it's the same with 2h spamming, shields, archers, crossbows and cav...

I still think making throwing accuracy dependent on WPF will reduce the amount of throwers without hitting dedicated throwers too hard while and it will also slightly nerf the damage as some agi will be required for Weapon Master.
The big problem right now really is the flood of throwers if you take a look at the ground you see as much throwing stuff as arrows and bolts which sure is bad for everyone without a decent shield.

You've just been Tomahawked.

Agreed, and also lots more throwers means more ammo to pickup, but as you say its still a challenge.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 03:49:00 am »
Yesterday i got onehitted 2-3 times with no headshot by a thrower called Franciska_Lance or something like that.
Now you could say: 1 hits and throwing that is nothing special it happens very often.

But i am a 21 STR Build (ok no IF) and had a complete Gothic Plate (Plate-Foots, Sugarloaf, Plate Mittens, Gothic Plate)
How the hell is this throwingbitch able to oneshot a fullplate????

PS: Dont take that "throwingbitch" to serious but thats the correct name to them after patch in our teamspeak ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 03:50:36 am by Camaris »

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 03:55:51 am »
Yesterday i got onehitted 2-3 times with no headshot by a thrower called Franciska_Lance or something like that.
Now you could say: 1 hits and throwing that is nothing special it happens very often.

But i am a 21 STR Build (ok no IF) and had a complete Gothic Plate (Plate-Foots, Sugarloaf, Plate Mittens, Gothic Plate)
How the hell is this throwingbitch able to oneshot a fullplate????

PS: Dont take that "throwingbitch" to serious but thats the correct name to them after patch in our teamspeak ;)

First, lol. Nice.

Second, I agree. Throwers are.. annoying because of their popularity.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline RomoR

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 04:25:54 am »
One of my characters is a Hybrid 10PT and 10 PS, 2 hand / thrower and I average 3-4 kills a round  with throwing axes, and I Mostly just use the throwing axes I start out with.

At first I chose them to get some range against archers and runners because I'm mega slow and never catch up to them with my great axe, also they are excellent against cav, I can guaranty you no sane cavalry man will get close to you if he sees you with throwing axes :) , after a little time it became obvious I could kill anything with them, even plate with 2, max 3 hits.
I find it extremely easy to get kills, lots of them 1 hit kills even with the 70ish in WPF, true I'm full strength but still It seems rather easy just spamming some axes and getting kills.

I gave RomoR a rest because I got tired grinding to 31 (half way there) and am now playing my alt RimiR, a Shield and pike and have noticed a  increase in throwers, its evident people know how dangerous a high power thrower player can be and at the same time having good survivability with a shield or even just keeping your  distance while spamming stuff so I can see it getting worse, and the more throwers the more ammunition they have to pick up from the ground.

A simple solution would be to make it impossible to pick up a thrown weapon, (if its possible at all) this would limit the throwers to there starting equipment, it would still  be a viable option against archers or cavalry but at the same time  bring down the hail of stuff being thrown.

Edited for some clarity.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:31:15 am by RomoR »

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:35 am »
One of my characters is a Hybrid 10PT and 10 PS, 2 hand / thrower and I average 3-4 kills a round  with throwing axes, and I Mostly just use the throwing axes I start out with.

At first I chose them to get some range against archers and runners because I'm mega slow and never catch up to them with my great axe, also they are excellent against cav, I can guaranty you no sane cavalry man will get close to you if he sees you with throwing axes :) , after a little time it became obvious I could kill anything with them, even plate with 2, max 3 hits.
I find it extremely easy to get kills, lots of them 1 hit kills even with the 70ish in WPF, true I'm full strength but still It seems rather easy just spamming some axes and getting kills.

I gave RomoR a rest because I got tired grinding to 31 (half way there) and am now playing my alt RimiR, a Shield and pike and have noticed a  increase in throwers, its evident people know how dangerous a high power thrower player can be and at the same time having good survivability with a shield or even just keeping your  distance while spamming stuff so I can see it getting worse, and the more throwers the more ammunition they have to pick up from the ground.

A simple solution would be to make it impossible to pick up a thrown weapon, (if its possible at all) this would limit the throwers to there starting equipment, it would still  be a viable option against archers or cavalry but at the same time  bring down the hail of stuff being thrown.

Edited for some clarity.

Maybe just decrease amount of junk in one slot *hint*
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline ITHROWSHIT

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:51 am »
Ok this is getting ridiculous, why are we nerfing everything? this game is fun because it is highly lethal! the realism is its strength, and the prospect of becoming ultra powerful makes it addicting.

before the patch, some players could become invincible superheros. ok, cool, awesome, this games rad! what? why are people complaining? teams would rally behind their leader and fear their nemesis, it was fun! chadz: please stop greasing the squeaky wheels, youll spoil them.

formula: Impossible lethality + prospect of gaining an unfair advantage = successful online game

current events: toy weapons (safe for our younger players) + relentless stat balancing = ok im getting over it

why do you have to work just to build up to average level? its no longer possible to be an elite character, so why is there any RPG element to it at all? I had a problem with gauntlets reloading xbows, i had a problem with heavy charger horse archers, i had a problem with wearing leather armor and being outrun by tincans, and i had a problem with arrows breaking shields. besides those things, the game had no problems before the patch.

I like the upkeep system fine, but would rather see more tincans around, and would rather the archers were actually useful. personally I dont like the foam tipped arrows, I liked the fear that kept my huscarl high over my head and the mad dashes from cover to cover - now I stopped using a shield because archers are near useless now. I get finished off by an occasional arrow, but basically archers dont exist - cuz no one plays archer anymore!
throwing is the new archery, its dumb, bring archery back! ok guys, now that the archers are taken care of, whos next!?!?! people are gunna play ranged, get over it and host your own melee only server (everyone here will thank you)

I enjoy some good shots when sneaking around, in a hallway, or on top of a staircase (provided they dont have a shield) but throwing is not easy or OP.  When i see another thrower i laugh, take out my melee weapon, and enjoy an easy kill.

I PROPOSE AN ALTERNATE DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY: IF YOU THINK SOMETHING IS OVERPOWERED, INSTEAD OF NERFING IT YOU SHOULD BUFF EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT TO REACH LEVEL 80 AND BLOW PEOPLE 30 FEET ACROSS THE MAP IN ONE SWING TO DIE FROM FALLING DAMAGE! I WANT TO FIRE 6 ARROWS AT ONCE THAT KNOCK PEOPLE DOWN! I WANT TO THROW LANCES THROUGH MULTIPLE PEOPLE AND PIN THEIR RAGDOLLS TO THE WALL! I WANT TO USE SIEGE LADDERS AS A 2H CLUB!!!!!!!! soo much potential.....

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 09:12:24 am »
It's a beta, when things are found to function incorrectly or in an exploitive manner... it gets changed. Live with it. It's certainly not done with nerfing/readjusting.