Author Topic: Dev Blog #4 Battle Maps  (Read 17992 times)

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Blog #4 Battle Maps
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2016, 01:14:58 am »
+1
Conquest sounds cool :)
You said something about ticketes and territories, is it just about increasing/decreasing tickets or will there be siege stuff and such stuff unlocked with different zones?
The whole thingy just reminds me a bit of battlefield conquest with some more tactical err usage of the map like in warhammer or other strategy games, would be nice to get some more information about this :3

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2016, 03:37:27 am »
+5
Conquest sounds cool :)
You said something about ticketes and territories, is it just about increasing/decreasing tickets or will there be siege stuff and such stuff unlocked with different zones?
The whole thingy just reminds me a bit of battlefield conquest with some more tactical err usage of the map like in warhammer or other strategy games, would be nice to get some more information about this :3

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2016, 07:24:22 am »
As I understand it you will enter combat mode by pressing C or something, then switch stances by clicking RMB with the corresponding mousemovement, which will make you hold the stance, until you switch or exit the combat mode.
So, if you have the stance where you hold your sword over your head activated and someone attacks you with an overhead, there will be 3 possible outcomes all initiated by LMB.
A) You attack with an overhead also and you do a parry making your opponent vulnerable, by knocking enemy's weapon into a different position, changing his stance.
B) You do nothing and get an imperfect block
C) You attack in another direction and either outspam your enemy or get hit
Did I get that right, Tolonar? Obviously, there will be more combinations and possible outcomes, but this is the base of the new combat system, isn't it?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Prox

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2016, 07:44:11 am »
+2
Since you are still creating combat you should definitely get this small niche community into a invite only pre-alpha test where you can get a wider range of feedback. Combat will be the make or break for your game so before you go public even on an early access (subject to change) alpha, you should still test it several times on a larger scale. Most developers release a Beta which is far too late to change mechanics drastically. I personally have a large opinion on melee games  and would greatly appreciate an opportunity to get hands on and more importantly get into detailed discussion about what would make it great.

There are two games I would compare your territory conquest with for the direction your headed. A mesh between Project Reality Mod for Battlefield 2 and Company of Heroes. Hour long vast strategic battles? YES please. FOB, add the ability for your team to build a forward operating base (Tent spawn point in CRPG) with defenses (Think wooden stakes or even wooden fort). These can be placed anywhere on the map via a supply drop (Supply wagon needs to be nearby or wagon turns into tent spawn point). They can only be destroyed if they are overrun and "burnt with a torch" (Hitting action key E on it for example).

That said good old Last Team Standing (Battle mode) 1 life per round is always a good mode. If the map is massive though I would recommend respawns in some form. Theirs always the danger of back capping while your teams out fighting on Capture the point maps. It's never fun when you're fighting the good fight but your team loses because some group snuck behind everyone to cap and that wins the game.

Offline Peasant_Woman

• Earl
  • Renown: 438
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Unofficial Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja, Ming, Companions, Cavemen
  • Game nicks: Peasant_Woman, Ninja_Ninja, Ming_Ninja, Companion_Ninja.
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2016, 08:14:27 am »
Thanks for taking the time to make this devblog!
Always interesting to see/hear where you guys are currently at and what you're planning on moving forward.
Impressed!

That moment where you are having more trouble understanding the Irishman speaking his native language than chadz speaking with his hefty Austrian accent.
^
This to be honest.
Maybe you are not bad, but you are a boring person. Well, that's the end of the matter.
Guide to map making
My Maps

Offline MacX85

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 14
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
  • Game nicks: Siegbert
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2016, 08:16:17 am »
As I understand it you will enter combat mode by pressing C or something, then switch stances by clicking RMB with the corresponding mousemovement, which will make you hold the stance, until you switch or exit the combat mode.
So, if you have the stance where you hold your sword over your head activated and someone attacks you with an overhead, there will be 3 possible outcomes all initiated by LMB.
A) You attack with an overhead also and you do a parry making your opponent vulnerable, by knocking enemy's weapon into a different position, changing his stance.
B) You do nothing and get an imperfect block
C) You attack in another direction and either outspam your enemy or get hit
Did I get that right, Tolonar? Obviously, there will be more combinations and possible outcomes, but this is the base of the new combat system, isn't it?

Wouldn't it be confusing to use rmb for both parrying and stance changing?
I still hope the stances somehow change automatically depending on how you move. Otherwise the beloved simplicity from M&B is gone... combat needs to work quickly and also be viable for big group fights. Stances sound to me like they only think about duels.

Offline Kato

• Count
  • Renown: 227
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 10:27:44 am »
+2
Walking animation looks very good already.

Please, no squad spawning on leader or very close to him.
Let him set a spawning flag somewhere in controlled area otherwise this mode will become team deathmatch without any tactical approach to fight.

Offline Schoi

• Duke
  • Renown: 578
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: small weiner
  • Game nicks: Skoi, Schoi, jus_the_tip_bby_feel_rlygud
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 10:31:13 am »
Since you are still creating combat you should definitely get this small niche community into a invite only pre-alpha test where you can get a wider range of feedback. Combat will be the make or break for your game so before you go public even on an early access (subject to change) alpha, you should still test it several times on a larger scale. Most developers release a Beta which is far too late to change mechanics drastically. I personally have a large opinion on melee games  and would greatly appreciate an opportunity to get hands on and more importantly get into detailed discussion about what would make it great.

There are two games I would compare your territory conquest with for the direction your headed. A mesh between Project Reality Mod for Battlefield 2 and Company of Heroes. Hour long vast strategic battles? YES please. FOB, add the ability for your team to build a forward operating base (Tent spawn point in CRPG) with defenses (Think wooden stakes or even wooden fort). These can be placed anywhere on the map via a supply drop (Supply wagon needs to be nearby or wagon turns into tent spawn point). They can only be destroyed if they are overrun and "burnt with a torch" (Hitting action key E on it for example).

That said good old Last Team Standing (Battle mode) 1 life per round is always a good mode. If the map is massive though I would recommend respawns in some form. Theirs always the danger of back capping while your teams out fighting on Capture the point maps. It's never fun when you're fighting the good fight but your team loses because some group snuck behind everyone to cap and that wins the game.

stopped reading after the first sentence
Best quote
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Well fact is, NA players are mostly casual normies not knowing mechanics & who would have no chance against competitive EU players on the same ping.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 10:54:41 am »
Please, no squad spawning on leader or very close to him.
Let him set a spawning flag somewhere in controlled area otherwise this mode will become team deathmatch without any tactical approach to fight.

I would like that very much.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 10:56:27 am »
Wouldn't it be confusing to use rmb for both parrying and stance changing?
I still hope the stances somehow change automatically depending on how you move. Otherwise the beloved simplicity from M&B is gone... combat needs to work quickly and also be viable for big group fights. Stances sound to me like they only think about duels.
Sorry you didn't get it. Let me elaborate.
Switch stance= press once RMB + mouse direction(just like blocks in Warband, but you don't have to hold)
Attack= LMB(in case you are counter-attacking a guy who just swinged at you and provided you've chosen the right, as opposed to wrong, direction, you'll do a parry, i.e. like chamber-blocks in Warband, and by doing this you knock his sword to the side [different stance, relative to the your stance, the stance he started with and the counterattack direction, you've chosen] now he can either change his stance or continue the fight in his current stance, whichever is in his best interest)
Since there are 4 stances: up, down, left, right AND for each of those there is ?8? directions, there is a lot of combinations. But since you wouldn't have to press an extra button to initiate a parry, it would be just a matter of quick reaction and later down the line memorizing, which combinations initiate a parry and which do not.
As long as there's collision detection on every weapon, all the time like they said there would be, there is still a lot of room for mistake, when you count in bad blocks, so it's not a game of chess, but feels organic and still requires skill.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2016, 11:34:46 am »
+1
Ok, I think I get it now.

I would really advise against ditching the simple lmb=attack; rmb=block mechanic as it has been proven to work in so many games. I could only think of stances giving you a wider variety of actions instead of replacing the simple system we had before.

I need to see what they meant, damnit! So hard to speculate about it yet.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 11:53:34 am »
Yeah, I can't wait  :mrgreen:

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2016, 12:56:05 pm »
+9
I have to agree with the first comment under the Youtube video.

combat sounds curiously similar to Chivalry now: having only a small time to attack and parry. Not sure if I like that.

We'll have to wait and see how the idea is implemented, because innovation and improvement are naturally expected. The probability of resembling Chivalry is still worrying though.

Offline MacX85

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • 3D Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2016, 01:37:42 pm »
+4
Yeah, that was me :P

Offline Maestro

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2016, 02:21:03 pm »
There is no new info in video.
We already know what was in video.
I tought that we get some ingame footage.