Author Topic: February patch preview, input appreciated  (Read 26400 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 2543
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: February patch preview, input appreciated
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2015, 12:51:45 am »
Its not like long spears or pikes have been nerfed recently, so nothing has really changed. Or well, more levels i guess, but im not sure that changes much. Im sure they would still perform just as well with those weapons, but the weapons are lacking now that playernumbers have gone down.

I did a bit of piking with my 12-39 main, was okay but damage is shit with that build. I might just respecc my stf to some decent piking build and give it a shot.

Everything changed with rejuvenation patch (or whatever its called). Even if pikes didn't change that doesn't mean they were affected. Only pikemen I saw since then was Makelele and he was doing it for a day (he usually fool around) and and that Kalmarin dude (can't remember the full nick) but he was online few times only. Crojo also use spears but not pike/longspear.

What is the real issue with couching on EU side? Matthaus or Riddaren who wears plate, have extreme agi riding build and coloured lance. He's skilled at cav and was creating a havoc whenever he was on. Even Fin admitted he can't chamber him successfully because of high speed and even when you do it, bump-couch is about to happen. After him, other players tried that build and it worked for them as well. It doesn't involve skill at all, anyone can do it and have awesome k/d and points and that is what is bothering people in the first place.

At this point we don't need to generalize, very few active players left. Easy to identify a player people are talking and complaining about. Like Xanor, like ShokyTheRat (someone mentioned thrower who changes to melee and hits like a truck, that is him). People are bothered when non-conformist builds do well and I support them because I prefer native way where everybody starts the same way.

Each time ive ventured into NA theres been 2 or 3 people who knew how to block

That is true but works both ways. You see, having high ping is both a blessing and a burden. You can exploit in a way, to get the first hit. But you can't block well fast weapons with high ping. I and many other players have a hard time fighting NA players on our EU servers, guess that goes the other way as well. There's a member of Hobo guild, nick Nee, who play on EU whole day. When I'm fighting that dude feels like we're in dense mud and our hits are 2 seconds late. But only when I'm fighting him. Dunno what's the case there, but fighting NA guys on EU isn't easy as it seems. For example, today dude in full plate nick Egad was creating a havoc on EU2. So it's not just the case of EU players visiting NA and doing well. It can go both ways.

Many players on EU can't block just like many can't on NA. For example I can't block for shit, partially because of lag and because of my build (45/3, 45 2H wpf). My weapon reaction time is atrocious. On native servers with good ping I can block even the fastest feints they can pull off.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 12:58:32 am by Leshma »

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2015, 01:25:06 am »
You know ping is just a delay, right ? You can't exploit it in any way, it will not make you hit faster; sure, you can anticipate the time you'll have to hit, but you'll just hit as on a EU server, and you won't be able to block shit. Source : some hours on NA with 140 ping.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2015, 01:32:04 am »
You know ping is just a delay, right ? You can't exploit it in any way, it will not make you hit faster; sure, you can anticipate the time you'll have to hit, but you'll just hit as on a EU server, and you won't be able to block shit. Source : some hours on NA with 140 ping.

Did you play archer or melee? because those are completely different. With 140 ping i could narrowly block attacks, unless they were good spams, or just hilt slashes. At some points people feinted and then things got rough, but i think i only met one person who did it.

Everything changed with rejuvenation patch (or whatever its called). Even if pikes didn't change that doesn't mean they were affected. Only pikemen I saw since then was Makelele and he was doing it for a day (he usually fool around) and and that Kalmarin dude (can't remember the full nick) but he was online few times only. Crojo also use spears but not pike/longspear.

What is the real issue with couching on EU side? Matthaus or Riddaren who wears plate, have extreme agi riding build and coloured lance. He's skilled at cav and was creating a havoc whenever he was on. Even Fin admitted he can't chamber him successfully because of high speed and even when you do it, bump-couch is about to happen. After him, other players tried that build and it worked for them as well. It doesn't involve skill at all, anyone can do it and have awesome k/d and points and that is what is bothering people in the first place.

I dont think things changed that much for infantry in the patch, i think it affected range hybrids more. I did a short session of long spearing, it was strong and felt no different than pre-revival. Unfortunately i got pissed of because i played like complete ass so i switched over to stronk shielder (god i love strength now), and also having krems on my team may have been a slight factor  :oops:
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2015, 01:42:37 am »
Long time ago, I played archer (1 good year ago for sure, when 21/21 build was still viable). I played cav/inf recently, (one week or two ago, as a 21/21 hybrid), and it was the same, ping will get you killed, because it's a weight, and not an advantage, in any way.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2015, 02:17:25 am »
+2
Even if pikes didn't change that doesn't mean they were affected. Only pikemen I saw since then was Makelele and he was doing it for a day (he usually fool around) and and that Kalmarin dude (can't remember the full nick)

One of my alts prolly (Mean Mr Mustard or Father McKenzie). Crojo's used a pike as well, but usually got pissed off at us for not helping him :mrgreen:

There's a reason I haven't been playing piker for a while now and that's the low number of players on atm. I'll just get ganked after a couple of stabs and then it's back to my one slot spear. It's just pointless and my +3 pike sits in the armory unused at the moment and I'll just pick a poleaxe and go through the enemy formation randomly swinging tanking heavy armor. Hardmode. While the number of players dropping is an indirect nerf to otherwise pretty decently balanced pikers, it's an indirect buff for lancers making them too strong atm - especially those noobish great lancers. The only reason they aren't topping the scoreboard every single round (just like 80%) is the terribad map rotation on EU1. Hadn't mentioned it in about three posts, so had to put it in here.

Jona, I agree we should have a different topic for the NA/EU flame war. But we should still have it :twisted:

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2015, 04:33:42 am »
+1
There's a reason I haven't been playing piker for a while now and that's the low number of players on atm.

Yep, exactly. It is quite hard to take these sort of things into consideration when balancing the game, but server population is directly related to the current meta. If you've got a 10v10 server, odds are most of those players are going to be infantry, with maybe a couple ranged on each team. Then when that one couch lancer shows up, they have virtually no weakness since no infantry is going to give up the ability to kill in melee (and start getting ganked) just to bring a pike and *hopefully* kill the cav.

(click to show/hide)

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2015, 05:01:29 am »
+2
80 ping to eu1? some eu people are jelly now
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2015, 12:11:31 pm »
+3
To be honest I haven't been playing much pike for a year now, even when I did actually play, simply because it is not that much fun to play against. As player numbers started declining I could just feel the rage whenever I stabbed someone over the head of 2 teammates and through 3 others. If you have melee cover and are somewhat competent with the wiggle, pike makes you an unblockable gank ender, turning any round into a number's game. I fucking hate pikers when I am not one myself, they are a huge buzzkill. I didn't think piking would do the player numbers any good.

As for the viability of pikes player numbers are a huge factor, but I think that with 40+ it is already a top notch weapon, especially if you have dedicated melee support. However over the past year and a half many speed ratings have gotten a bump, people got much more agility heavy builds and in general started using faster weapons. I don't think stab stun has scaled that well with the faster meta. I noticed more and more that I would be getting hit very often without being able to block, even on solid stabs and even though I got more wpf. If you want to give longspear/pike a buff, find a way to reduce the severity of stab stun.

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2015, 10:54:17 pm »
+1
have been poking around with my +3 long spear for a while, but with the current spam meta and low player numbers it is indeed suicide. Playing on siege is sometimes fun with it though :)

has anyone noticed the ping increase on servers? (EU)
used to be 18-23 with me but now 34-90, did the server switch to another location?
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2015, 11:24:57 pm »
+1
I posted a thread into Technical problems about that. It's getting annoying, actually.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #190 on: February 02, 2015, 12:25:27 am »
+7
Since patch 0.4.0.0 was "The patch of destiny" and this patch will be changing the weight values of armor (and weapons?)...

can the next patch please be called

0.4.1.0 - The Patch of Density

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #191 on: February 02, 2015, 06:38:35 am »
+1
Since patch 0.4.0.0 was "The patch of destiny" and this patch will be changing the weight values of armor (and weapons?)...

can the next patch please be called

0.4.1.0 - The Patch of Density

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #192 on: February 02, 2015, 09:18:53 am »
+11
Thanks, San!

DTV rewards doubled and max exp cap increased
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #193 on: February 02, 2015, 02:22:17 pm »
+6
On the topic of crossbows I think Arbalest needs a buff. It's pointless cos it takes the same number of hits to kill someone as the Heavy does which shoots a lot faster.

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #194 on: February 02, 2015, 03:40:49 pm »
+2
Thanks, San!

DTV rewards doubled and max exp cap increased

That's awesome!
Any news on the map rotation for DTV too?