Author Topic: February patch preview, input appreciated  (Read 26447 times)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: February patch preview, input appreciated
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2015, 10:14:59 pm »
+1
That is a huge change, isn't it?

Yeah, but when I was looking at damage when I was using HT, the damage wasn't all that great because of the 20% reduction. Only speed bonus can make up for that, but then you have less accuracy.

Is there any change planned for Great lance (ab)users? Cav vs cav fights it has no counter. Yes, a Heavy Lance can outreach it, but as the damage is too low to kill the enemy horse even with full speed bonus, the result is your horse dead and the enemy nooblancer running away with full HP. It's also a guaranteed onehitter against pretty much any build and armor unless you get negative speed bonus. It has way too much killing power compared to the requirements and skill needed to use it and you often see average players topping the scoreboard with it. Lancing in general is a bit too strong as well which has lead to the death of 1H/2H cavalry.

Weren't EU players saying 1h/2h cav were the strongest? Not much has really changed with cav in recent times, so to me it just seems like a simple metagame shift. Great lance is easy to use, but it's not OP, since the stabbing lances generally have a more rewarding skill ceiling. I think it only needs a difficulty increase and/or made 3 slots so you can't abuse it with a super high riding build with no commitment. If you get couched by a great lance, it should deal considerable damage, so that part seems fine to me.

Also is it possible to rethink the soak and reduce values so low damage hits would actually glance and not do 0.1% damage. For example a throwing knife will do nothing but scratch plate armor but will interrupt the attack and slow down movement. It's unrealistic, stupid and totally unnecessary.

Unfortunately, the way damage works, if you make glancing easier, then you increase high end damage scaling. That means speed bonus, holds, etc. deal more damage. In other words, you make it even more like the current pierce stat.

For more info, I made a post about this a few months ago about my thoughs:
(click to show/hide)

Stop the ability to change weapons while nudging which causes half the attack animation to disappear. Highly abusable crap that most hoplites use when they switch to 1H weapon.

Don't know how to do that. You can switch weapons right in the middle of your own attack, which is just as viable. A good hoplite is going to find a way to switch on you because of the way the game works.

Stop daggers being used with shields. It just feels wrong to see these guys topping the scoreboard with such a troll build and it happens quite often. The speed of the 1H dagger stab is just too much for some of us to handle even when we see it coming.

I agree, but this thought isn't unanimous as far as I know. I think there were talks of reducing speed when a 1h dagger + shield was being used, but nothing really came out of it and it sounds like too much work for me to do it.

I'd say the main problem is how strong shields are, it's very easy to get an invincible or near-invincible shield. When spam is the main playstyle in laggy servers, it was inevitable that lots of people would take up the auto-block device that will literally never break unless maybe you get lots and lots of strong hits with a +3 GLB or something.

*disclaimer to specify against people who will decide to misinterpret what i say, i'm saying the shield itself is too physically strong/durable, not that shielders are too strong. That shit needs to break eventually, core M&B mechanics and balance rely on the fact that shields break if you just hold the RMB.

Shields break quite easily, especially against an axe, a category where all 3 melee classes have potent options. Shields are powerful in the first confrontation against a non-bonus vs. shield weapon, but even strong shields eventually whittle down after multiple fights. You can probably block around 20 hits or so with the more commonly used shields. The more defensive shields are slow (Though much more viable right now) and attacks have a chance to sneak through a block. Not many people decide to get high shield skill for a reason. You need 15 shield skill for an invincible shield.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:58 pm »
Not much has really changed with cav in recent times, so to me it just seems like a simple metagame shift

Very simple logic behind it. Higher levels allow high riding builds which helps great lance users a lot (fast horse is hard to deal with). Due to low population, variety of builds is reduced, there are very few pikemen (pike, longspear) who are the only ones who can effectively stop high riding lancer with great lance, due to overwhelming lag. Kinda reminds me of Lance of Compensation situation we had early 2011, before that weapon got removed. This time there is a counter but people seldom use it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2026
  • Infamy: 1823
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:15 pm »
+2
Please make it so 15 PS deal infinite damage, for the lulz. cRPG instagib mode :lol:

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1882
  • Infamy: 1003
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2015, 11:04:26 pm »
Instagib is mutator, godmode is cheat. Therefore, infinite HP is bad idea.

If 15PS gave infinite damage, and 15 IF gave infinite hp, what would happen if i hit Butan?

Black hole

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2015, 12:00:35 am »
The number of shielders with greater than 5 shield skill is so low that there's no point in talking about the waste of an extra 10 skill points. 8 shield skill already feels very responsive if you want a lot of it. Shield skill scaling is quite poor until you go above 12 shield skill. 82%->88%->94% and the durability increases by a factor of 3 once you reach 14. 6 to 7, 46%->52% is like a 13% increase. 15 shield skill was supposed to be unobtainable, but your build is so gimped that it doesn't even matter, especially if daggers are made unusable with shield. Shield durability in no way compares to player health. Let's just consider ourselves lucky we don't have something like weapon durability to worry about.

Your average 4-7 shield shielder will behave as you described.

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2015, 11:19:33 am »
Weren't EU players saying 1h/2h cav were the strongest? Not much has really changed with cav in recent times, so to me it just seems like a simple metagame shift. Great lance is easy to use, but it's not OP, since the stabbing lances generally have a more rewarding skill ceiling. I think it only needs a difficulty increase and/or made 3 slots so you can't abuse it with a super high riding build with no commitment. If you get couched by a great lance, it should deal considerable damage, so that part seems fine to me.

We were when it was true. Then 1H/2H bumpslash was basically made to do zero damage, 1H stab was buffed so it can pretty much onehit an incoming plated charger, while outreaching the riders rightswing, every polearm was given the ability to stop horses, everyone got more agi while cav maneuver was lowered and the horse's armor material was switched from steel to paper. All this adds up to a fact that now there's just a couple of 1H cav left and half of those use great lance most of the time. On the other hand lancers can avoid most of these cav nerfs by simply outreaching any 1H, most 2H and most polearms and not needing to rely on bumpstabs to deal damage. You might argue that 1H cav still has the higher potential damage, but couching seems to be a more useful tool for backstabbing.

I agree about stabbing lances having much more rewarding skill ceiling and personally I enjoy the challenge to kill an awlpiker, or 2H hero with a heavy lance immensely. However I find it a problem that the only thing I can do against a great lancer when playing with a stabby lance is to avoid him. I can outreach the great lance with ease and stab them in the face if they try to kill me instead of my horse, but if they go for my horse, it's going to die no matter what I do. When I play 2H/Polearm I can outreach and kill every other type of cavalry unless they outplay me. Against a great lancer I can either run away, chamber or die. Damage isn't the problem but the fact that it outreaches almost anything on the battlefield nowadays. If I bring anything longer than my Corseque to a 10v10 battle I'm going to get destroyed by the enemy infantry and even with that weapon you need to be careful with the timing not to get outreached by the GL.

Unfortunately, the way damage works, if you make glancing easier, then you increase high end damage scaling. That means speed bonus, holds, etc. deal more damage. In other words, you make it even more like the current pierce stat.

Okay, thanks for the detailed explanation. The current system just seems annoying at times, especially when you try to use footwork to avoid a stab, get hit for 0.1% damage and your hit gets cancelled...

Don't know how to do that. You can switch weapons right in the middle of your own attack, which is just as viable. A good hoplite is going to find a way to switch on you because of the way the game works.

Are we talking about the same thing here? What I mean is when you nudge (not sure if you need a shield or not), switch to a 1H weapon and left swing for example, the only thing that you can see is the nudge and then immediately released onehand leftswing. It skips the ready animation or whatever you call it completely and while it's still possible to block, everyone knows how fast the left swing already is without half of the animation missing.

Shields break quite easily ... strong shields eventually whittle down after multiple fights.

I guess this is where the opinions may differ. Imo on a server with 10 players on both sides (like yesterday prime time on EU1), a shield surviving multiple fights sounds like a problem. With 7 shield skill which seems pretty normal for a shielder, the heavier shields can take quite a few hits even with an axe. I've seen Mircea cel Batran's (best cav EU) shield take more than a minute of constant beating and he's in full plate so I don't think he can have more than 8 skillpoints.

Shields are not the only problem that scales a bit poorly with the server population dropping. Throwers who should be limited by their ammo are suddenly quite a lot more effective and most of the time about half of my deaths on EU1 nowadays are either directly by throwers or getting hit by melee after a dagger hits me. Just something that needs to be thought about more when balancing things out in the near future with the population getting even lower.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2015, 11:52:39 am »
I dont see old lance angle,  qq
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2015, 10:47:48 pm »
+2
I can't do any wse2 stuff, so it's mostly item stats and changes that can be made in the module.ini or something like that. While I think the game can handle old lance angle, I think lancers would just completely dominate other melee cav vs. having a few exploitable weaknesses.

The armor looms and difficulty suggestion passed, so my idea for difficulty is this:

Body armor:
Difficulty = Floor(0.9 * Weight)

Gloves:
Difficulty = Floor(10 * Weight)

Helmets:
Difficulty = Floor(5 * Weight)

Legs:
Difficulty = Floor(5 * Weight)

1h: +3 difficulty
2h: +3 difficulty
Polearms: +3 difficulty

Ranged: Unchangd since difficulty messes with stats too much.

Seem reasonable? Weapons were too complex to single out. Do any weapons have unusually high/low difficulty that may be abused/unused for the patch?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:22:29 am by San »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:11 pm »
+1
Wait, weapons are getting difficulty increases too? Can we also put a wpf cap to be able to equip a weapon? Might aswell make super str heavy builds unable to use weapons aswell. (I know Heskey, i did it again!)

Seriously though, +5 difficulty to polearms? even if i'd respecc my main to 15 str i still wouldnt be able to use shit for weapons. Quarterstaff spam maybe. I guess its time to join the tryhard balance builds.. 2h doesnt even get hit that hard, longsword would still be put at 15 str.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:36:15 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2015, 11:38:27 pm »
+1
I was going to go through each weapon type, but it's too much work. +5 doesn't make much sense for spear-like weapons. I guess it'll be easier to just have +3 and then adjust from there if something is too high/low. Builds went from 18-18 at level 30 to 21-21 at 35, so +3 is safe. Increased levels and keeping the difficulty the same is the same as prepatch and decreasing difficulty by 3-6.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2015, 11:48:15 pm »
I was going to go through each weapon type, but it's too much work. +5 doesn't make much sense for spear-like weapons. I guess it'll be easier to just have +3 and then adjust from there if something is too high/low. Builds went from 18-18 at level 30 to 21-21 at 35, so +3 is safe. Increased levels and keeping the difficulty the same is the same as prepatch and decreasing difficulty by 3-6.

And decreasing the difficulties then would change what? I still dont see how using.. say.. a warspear with 9 str would be so imbalanced. At 9 str, the damage would be at best 3 hitting (thats good speedbonus thrusts) any balance build. Is that overpowered? Or say using a greatsword with around 9 strength, would that even be usefull? would it be viable? would it be used? Highly doubt it, allthough it probably manageable to pull of a decent round here and there, you take one hit and youre dead. You land a hit, maybe it did some damage, maybe you land another, and a third. At average thats still not a kill, woops, a bit crampy on the blocking finger and you missed a block? GG, atleast you took that balance guy down to half. Or if you play cleverly you went for archers and weak targets, but then you could have been shot to death by 2 arrows (and thats current archery damage). You could basically do that faster and more efficient as cav.

tl;dr low str being able to use big weapons doesnt make it op in anyway. And its a niche build.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:52:36 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2015, 12:16:56 am »
+1
Getting the footwork advantage with a long+strong weapon pretty much nullifies most of its weaknesses. Damage predominately lies with the weapon since 1 power strike is similar to using a weapon with +2-3 attack. That's why a damaging weapon and max athletics can be problematic. +3 is net 0 compared to the level increases. This is more important at the 15-18 difficulty level because at that point, because the benefits of PS can stack with speed bonus and other multipliers a bit better.

I don't feel too strongly about it, but it's nice to have the difficulties catch up with the new levels a bit better. If more people agree that weapon difficulty shouldn't change, then it can just be removed. It's also true that strength builds can use fast weapons to make up for some of their weaknesses, but the strength build would always have sluggish movement while the agi build can make up the low weapon speed with wpf and weapon length.

Edit: I'll X it off for now and see how many people want weapon difficulty increases instead. At the very least, a few weapons like the Long Maul and a few others need an increase, though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 12:22:50 am by San »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 346
  • Infamy: 1246
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:41 am »
Seem reasonable? Weapons were too complex to single out. Do any weapons have unusually high/low difficulty that may be abused/unused for the patch?

As always, would like to see heavy hitters among one-handers better suited for STR builds. That means that axes and blunt weapons should have difficulty raised, especially heavy weapons. Good old steel pick and spathoslovakion are hard to see weapons because of their small model and because of that, think they should be wielded by STR oriented characters. Curved weapons have been an issue forever but I think them were put in place with stat changes over the years and lack of thrust (which has been made godlike).

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1619
  • Infamy: 1723
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2015, 12:32:13 am »
And decreasing the difficulties then would change what? I still dont see how using.. say.. a warspear with 9 str would be so imbalanced. At 9 str, the damage would be at best 3 hitting (thats good speedbonus thrusts) any balance build. Is that overpowered? Or say using a greatsword with around 9 strength, would that even be usefull? would it be viable?

As usual, you're not very well informed. I've seen Xanor (9/36 build I think) chop full plate dude in 4-5 hits with Katana. That was near spawn and think it was from 100%-0 HP. Sorry, but I don't think that 3 PS build using cut weapon with moderate damage should be able to kill full plated knight with over 75 armor in less than 10 good hits. That's what can openers (blunt and pierce weapons) are for.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2015, 01:11:48 am »
With 18 str, 4 IF, and 57 body armor, I can get 2 shot by a pure agi katana spammer. Sure, I am not exactly the tankiest of characters, but anyone who thinks that low PS = low damage is horribly misinformed.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador