Author Topic: Morrowind nostalgia thread/TES Argonia  (Read 22919 times)

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
Re: Morrowind nostalgia thread/TES Argonia
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2016, 12:18:19 am »
The awful combat, slowness of movement and terrible UI are really taking a toll on my interest to keep playing.

Soul trap glitch fixes slowness of movement (as long as you don't abuse it and get a shit ton of speed).

Combat can be fixed by mods as well as the UI. I mean UI hasn't been a great thing in any of the elder scrolls. Although morrowind's is definitely not great.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:00 am »
The whole drag and drop business is silly when you can only ever have two containers open at a time. Right click to use, left click to transfer would have been so great. Also, not opening a selection popup when there are fewer than five units in a stack. Even better, not having any kind of selection popup whatsoever and just let you hold LMB to transfer more items.

Any combat mod recommendation? I'm interested in Gratuitous Violence because it's more lightweight than Combat Extended.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2016, 01:36:57 am »
The whole drag and drop business is silly when you can only ever have two containers open at a time. Right click to use, left click to transfer would have been so great. Also, not opening a selection popup when there are fewer than five units in a stack. Even better, not having any kind of selection popup whatsoever and just let you hold LMB to transfer more items.

Any combat mod recommendation? I'm interested in Gratuitous Violence because it's more lightweight than Combat Extended.

As far as the Selection, there is Shift and Ctrl click on stacks allowing you to take entire or partial stacks. There's actually a lot of stuff like that IN GAME, it's just hidden behind fuck tons of bad UI.

are*

Yes yes, we got it. You like to wave that penis around.

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2016, 02:04:47 am »
I bought the game and played it, then I realised that there's no directions given for quests making it virtually impossible to find anything, so after about an hour of walking around at the pace of 1 inch per century I eventually cheated and made it so my run speed was a lot faster, then I walked around more and still couldn't find the quest objective, after that I walked a bit more and the game crashed, and I never played the game ever again.

10/10 best experience would revisit again in the future for Nostalgia.

No but in all seriousness I just don't think the game is for me, the whole running into everything blind situation for quests doesn't suit me. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be guided the whole time but a general direction would at least be nice, and Morrowind certainly doesn't give that.

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2838
  • Infamy: 609
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:30 am »
+1
There is journal. No green arrow pointing where to go. A bit of reading and understanding what is written is necessary in this game, not just an option for hipster crowd. Much like it was in old games before Xbox happened.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2016, 07:55:25 am »
+6
No but in all seriousness I just don't think the game is for me, the whole running into everything blind situation for quests doesn't suit me. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be guided the whole time but a general direction would at least be nice, and Morrowind certainly doesn't give that.

The trick is to actually read the dialogues and sign posts. If you still can't find your way around the main quest then you are what is wrong with today's games.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2016, 01:47:09 pm »
Or use UESP.net

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2016, 03:23:08 pm »
+2
It's that feeling of no hand holding exploration that is part of what makes the game great.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2016, 05:20:33 pm »
+2

Offline Yeldur

• Global Head Retard
  • Duke
  • Renown: 574
  • Infamy: 189
  • cRPG Player
  • Trained by Nord BlueKnight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen, Burg Krems, Acre
  • Game nicks: ladoea, Yeldur
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2016, 06:41:15 pm »
The trick is to actually read the dialogues and sign posts. If you still can't find your way around the main quest then you are what is wrong with today's games.
Not being able to follow a map isn't doing anything wrong, boo hoo, I can't find the thing that I've been given undetailed directions for. Whereas I do agree that the games now a days lead you directly where you want to go with no effort having to be put in at all. I don't like those games, but I think maybe something like a large ring around the area so I can at least know the general area of where I'm supposed to be looking instead of having to follow written instructions which are obviously not the best way to locate anything in any game or in real life. I can't remember what instructions were there but it told me to find some guy in a hut and told me to go south or some shit like that, I went south and looked in every place I could find and still found nothing.

Overall, I don't think there's anything wrong with today's games, they are different, that doesn't mean they're wrong. But I guess if you hate today's games then you hate them, I can't change that for you, sorry.

he,  the god admin.  drink the tea, not ascared to  fight in th  batefield,

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2016, 07:50:22 pm »
+2
instead of having to follow written instructions which are obviously not the best way to locate anything in any game or in real life.

Obviously the best way would be teleporting you to the objective. Or better, complete the quest for you and give you the reward.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »
Obviously the best way would be teleporting you to the objective. Or better, complete the quest for you and give you the reward.

While signing Kumbaya.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2016, 09:50:23 pm »
+1
Well, tbh, the quest journal in Morrowind is trash. GL resuming a game in progress after a couple of weeks of not playing.

Also, iirc, some quests only give you proper directions before accepting them. Try to get directions afterwards and you only get a much more vague and misleading description.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:30 pm »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2016, 02:06:49 pm »
+1
I think maybe something like a large ring around the area so I can at least know the general area of where I'm supposed to be looking instead of having to follow written instructions which are obviously not the best way to locate anything in any game or in real life.

How do you think people gave directions in RL before the internet, and still do on most of the globe? Face it, you've just been conditioned by pointing arrows and quest markers in practically every rpg or sandbox game of the past decade and a half, and your brain gets frustrated because it's not handed the objective on a silver platter. There was a Skyrim mod that was attempting to rewrite all the quest direction boxes and remove all information from the compass hud except the cardinal directions, but from what I gathered it was a lot of work and even then it didn't really mesh well. That game was built from the ground up as a "follow the quest marker" simulator, defeating most of the purpose behind exploration, which always struck me as strange for sandbox games. I suppose there would be players like you whining about it if it wasn't the way it was. If there's one thing Bethesda do well it's appeal to the lowest common denominator. 
Anyways, I honestly recommed doing at least one playthrough of Morrowind blind, without looking at the internet for help or tricks or exploits or etc.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:11:40 pm by Oberyn »