Author Topic: Thoughts on 4.0 Archery Nerf and Class Counters  (Read 10826 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Thoughts on 4.0 Archery Nerf and Class Counters
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2014, 05:54:45 pm »
Are you seriously just pissed off 24 hours a day?

We did nothing when he fucked up 1h stab making it the new meta...causing many great, fun players in community to quit
We did nothing when he fucked up polearm animations making them ridiculously OP... causing many great, fun players in community to quit  (thanks to other devs for reverting it this patch and fixing that idiot's mistakes)
We did nothing when he buffed agility excessively making everyone an agility whore (his favorite way of playing)... causing many great, fun players in community to quit
We did nothing when he killed horse archery beyond all repair ... causing many great, fun players in community to quit
Now that he is killing archery to favor his ugly, boring way of playing it with hyper accuracy vastly reducing real skill it is too late because all the great fun players are gone playing archeage, cs:go, countless other games rather than have to deal with this complete incompetent who only changes things for himself and doesn't consider the community at all in his decision-making.

Tydeus = that shithead from Germany
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2014, 06:54:48 pm »
+2
We did nothing when he fucked up 1h stab making it the new meta...causing many great, fun players in community to quit
We did nothing when he fucked up polearm animations making them ridiculously OP... causing many great, fun players in community to quit  (thanks to other devs for reverting it this patch and fixing that idiot's mistakes)
We did nothing when he buffed agility excessively making everyone an agility whore (his favorite way of playing)... causing many great, fun players in community to quit
We did nothing when he killed horse archery beyond all repair ... causing many great, fun players in community to quit
Now that he is killing archery to favor his ugly, boring way of playing it with hyper accuracy vastly reducing real skill it is too late because all the great fun players are gone playing archeage, cs:go, countless other games rather than have to deal with this complete incompetent who only changes things for himself and doesn't consider the community at all in his decision-making.

Tydeus = that shithead from Germany
Unfortunately for all of us: you're still here :cry:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »
+1
Because nobody in the archer community ever did acknowledge the issues and complaints and work towards a solution or a compromise.

Actually read the posts in the thread before posting.
The number of times I've suggested working towards a compromise is in the tens of thousands.
Besides that, Tydeus is actually being helpful (which, frankly, surprised me), and a number of others, archers and melee players, have chimed in.

I don't see why I should, now that most problems were fixed. I think the current state of ranged weapons is a huge step forward, and is a much better compromise than the previous one.

Some of us are agreeing with you. Others are on the fence. Some are also disagreeing with you.
The thread would not be 8 pages long if there weren't valuable discussion, complaints, worries, and praise being brought up.

I will continue telling you to get a shield lol because this is a valid argument according to your standards.

Yes, it is a valid argument.
If you do not have a shield or wander into wide open fields, you will immediately become a target for any ranged on the server.
As Thalion said earlier:
Seriously though. I've played this mod now for a couple years I think (honestly, I don't exactly remember when this hazy dream began) but archery has always been an annoying threat. Well, of course it is an annoying threat to have people shooting at you from a distance. I just assume that if I have no shield and I just go running after archers I am probably going to die. That's what I think would happen in a realistic scenario.

I didn't see any of you trying to compromise when your class dominated, so arguing that I should "do it for teamwork" is really hilarious, when obviously none of you care about teamwork more than I do.

Granted, now that 2h and polearms dominate, I don't see particularly much love from the melee side trying to compromise with the ranged side.
For instance, look at your post.
And again (btw, this was the OP, so I'm not sure how you missed it?):
When I first started playing cRPG in early 2011, archery was pretty scary.
Archers could really tear shit up, and they were nerfed accordingly into more of a support role.
If enemies were out in the open, I'd shoot for the chest or head in my best effort to get a kill, but when teammates were working on taking someone down, I'd aim strictly for the legs.
If I hit, it'd stun the enemy for a moment, just long enough for someone to get a hit in. If I missed and hit a teammate, I'd do less damage than an accidental TK headshot.
That support role worked really well for me, and I'm assuming it did with other archers and assisted melee teammates too.
We, as archers, were also able to help rid the match of cavalry, as well. Horse archers take first priority.
This lessened the stress put on melee infantry as they had less couched lances bearing down on them.

All that said, if you have any ideas that could be useful in addressing the issues raised by archers in this thread, please post!
If you're going to be an aggressive, useless cunt, fuck off.
I don't even like Kesh's posts, nor do I think his attitude is conducive to getting anything done, but at least he's posting things containing substance.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:42:27 pm by Jeade »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2014, 10:16:29 pm »
+4
I think the general consensus is that archers with lower tier bows feel weak and strength archers deal okayish-good damage and could be better. My question is what role do archers want low PD archers (4-6) to have against infantry?

I think there is an anti-kiting method that gives agi archers mediocre damage, high firing speed, good ammo, and high weight. This means largely reverting a good portion of the damage decrease on low tier bows and giving some ammo back so the high PD bows have little fear of running out with their slower draw speed. Over the past 2 years or so, I think it worked okay but many archers seemed to be unsatisfied with this and wanted lighter weight on their arrows. It seems like this will be even more difficult with the potential for builds to reach even greater extremes than before.

Another method is to allow mobility for archers with low arrow weight where agility archers have somewhat limited resources with less damage and high firing speed, while strength archers can make use of even those limited resources. This requires a somewhat low ammo capacity so players that are more mobile can't kite since they'll need to make shots count and reposition themselves occasionally to scavenge more ammo. The ammo count still needs to be good enough for the strength-oriented archers aren't hurt too much by it. I think the current ammo at +3 fits the bill, and would only support a difference in ammo between +0 and +3 with these changes. Damage will still be increased, but probably not as much as the previous paragraph concerning the low tier bows since the weight will decrease. Increased headshot damage may be great alternative over bow damage where the latter will mess with the accuracy again.

The biggest issue with the above is that they'll largely be safe against most other classes except for other ranged when playing correctly. Missile speed for the low tier bows may need to be drastically decreased to increase risk by having to approach the fray a little more.

I think kiting archers were a problem in the past since:
-The kiters were much higher in level
-Dealt some of the best damages for their class, especially with the wpf bug and armor penetration
-No flags that prevented delaying/kiting playstyles (large reason for the recent weight reductions, but the first point especially remained a large problem until now)

Now is as good a time as any to be a little more experimental since builds are not as set in stone.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:21:02 pm by San »

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2014, 10:32:27 pm »
+7
kafein is always anti-ranged without any kind of logical argument

"beta tester" is a laugh

prob explains all the broken models

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:42 pm »
Actually read the posts in the thread before posting.

I don't have the time or will to do that.

Some of us are agreeing with you. Others are on the fence. Some are also disagreeing with you.
The thread would not be 8 pages long if there weren't valuable discussion, complaints, worries, and praise being brought up.

And the countless threads I started or participated before the latest patches about the situation of ranged and the need for change didn't contain valuable discussion, complaints, worries, and praise. Of course. Your attitude changed because this latest patch nerfed archery, plain and simple.

Yes, it is a valid argument.
If you do not have a shield or wander into wide open fields, you will immediately become a target for any ranged on the server.

If you don't wear armor you will become a target for everybody on the server. "get a shield lol" is not an argument. This has been demonstrated innumerable times in the threads I just referred to. Just because you keep on repeating it will not change the fact that it's meaningless.

Granted, now that 2h and polearms dominate, I don't see particularly much love from the melee side trying to compromise with the ranged side.
For instance, look at your post.

I'm sure if you were in the same situation as I am you'd come out as equally bitter. I tried for years (literally) to build some sort of compromise, but I've been welcomed with "get a shield lol", "deal with it" and little else. Enough to conclude that it's really pointless to argue constructively. Especially considering the sudden 180 degree change of attitude among ranged members of our community with the latest changes. Suddenly "deal with it" doesn't cut it anymore, does it? Maybe some of your complaints are valid and some adjustments could be made, but I honestly don't give a fuck. The rampant hypocrisy displayed here disgusts me.

Unlike you, Tydeus and San are here to actually build a compromise. They have to sit and listen to people (like you and me) building page-long biased pieces about balance and then try to find out what is actually wrong with the game. If you want to change something, discuss with them. As a bonus they have power, not me.

And again (btw, this was the OP, so I'm not sure how you missed it?):

learn teamwork

kafein is always anti-ranged without any kind of logical argument

"beta tester" is a laugh

prob explains all the broken models

Just a clarification: I was a beta-tester a long time ago.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2014, 11:55:32 pm »
+1
I think the general consensus is that archers with lower tier bows feel weak and strength archers deal okayish-good damage and could be better. My question is what role do archers want low PD archers (4-6) to have against infantry?

I think there is an anti-kiting method that gives agi archers mediocre damage, high firing speed, good ammo, and high weight. This means largely reverting a good portion of the damage decrease on low tier bows and giving some ammo back so the high PD bows have little fear of running out with their slower draw speed. Over the past 2 years or so, I think it worked okay but many archers seemed to be unsatisfied with this and wanted lighter weight on their arrows. It seems like this will be even more difficult with the potential for builds to reach even greater extremes than before.

Another method is to allow mobility for archers with low arrow weight where agility archers have somewhat limited resources with less damage and high firing speed, while strength archers can make use of even those limited resources. This requires a somewhat low ammo capacity so players that are more mobile can't kite since they'll need to make shots count and reposition themselves occasionally to scavenge more ammo. The ammo count still needs to be good enough for the strength-oriented archers aren't hurt too much by it. I think the current ammo at +3 fits the bill, and would only support a difference in ammo between +0 and +3 with these changes. Damage will still be increased, but probably not as much as the previous paragraph concerning the low tier bows since the weight will decrease. Increased headshot damage may be great alternative over bow damage where the latter will mess with the accuracy again.

The biggest issue with the above is that they'll largely be safe against most other classes except for other ranged when playing correctly. Missile speed for the low tier bows may need to be drastically decreased to increase risk by having to approach the fray a little more.

-Dealt some of the best damages for their class, especially with the wpf bug and armor penetration
-No flags that prevented delaying/kiting playstyles (large reason for the recent weight reductions, but the first point especially remained a large problem until now)

Now is as good a time as any to be a little more experimental since builds are not as set in stone.

Thanks, San. Good post.

To answer your question about the low PD (4-6) archers:
I'd say there is a very small minority in this category.
6PD was always what I had because it gave me the option to be a little more of a hybrid than most.
If I tried going for 21/18, I felt I was losing too much wpf to archery over my 1h/2h sidearm.
The 24/18 build was pretty popular among the higher level guys, and they would use almost exclusively the Rus or Longbow.
The benefit high agi builds had (say, 15/24) was their ability to sacrifice generally high damage for accuracy.
It evened out quite well because they'd rely on headshots with their high wpf to make up for the lack in PD.
They, of course, also were going to have more points in athletics, which allowed them to get away and take their shots.

Any lower than 5PD though, I don't see that as a viable option now, nor have I ever.
5PD was pretty much the absolute lowest an archer would ever go.
With the current patch, 6 is probably the lowest viable option.
And besides, the whole point of 5PD archer builds was the sole purpose of high accuracy and being able to run away.
If the goal is making it so archers can't kite, there'd either need to be a change with quiver weight or just make low PD archers useless and force them into higher PD builds...
Neither of which I particularly like; increasing quiver weight hurts the high PD builds enough already.

(click to show/hide)

Didn't see the threads, unfortunately.
Either way, even if things look good on paper, it's only when the changes hit that people are going to have the truest opinion.
I'm not sure what archers in those threads said, nor am I responsible for their attitude, nor have I ever created a thread like this, nor am I even an archer.

It's clear we have different opinions on how ranged should work.
I see ranged as an important component to gameplay that should be considered a serious threat, just like a long maul coming down on your head.
I'm getting the feeling you think ranged is an unfortunately necessary component that hinders melee players from playing their classes with the least possible interference.
If I'm right, we're both touching on the unfortunate, yet real fact that archers are supposed to be a hindrance.
When working as a team, even in an uncoordinated pub match, archers can soften melee targets for melee teammates, be a real threat to cavalry, and stun players in the middle of a fight.
That's always been the purpose, or at least it has been over the past couple years.
I do remember archers being way the fuck OP in the early days.

Anyway, here's someone extending a hand, asking for your input, whether I disagree with you or not.
The more input, the better. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:10:23 am by Jeade »

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2014, 12:16:20 am »
+2
Either way, even if things look good on paper, it's only when the changes hit that people are going to have the truest opinion.

Quoting this for importance. You never know how things turn out with large changes, so the minimum was done to prevent ranged Armageddon so something more fleshed out can possibly be done if problems arose (like now).

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2014, 01:33:48 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)

I'm sorry that your deli cap can't block everything. Really, I am. But get a shield lel.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2014, 02:19:22 am »
+2
Make all archery 1 hit kill, but you have to enter a captcha everytime you want to shoot.  If you enter it wrong, you die.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Sharpe

• Duke
  • Renown: 619
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player
  • I like Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wales
  • Game nicks: Sharpe, Llewllyn
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2014, 03:17:45 am »
+1
Make all archery 1 hit kill, but you have to enter a captcha everytime you want to shoot.  If you enter it wrong, you die.

The captcha should have symbols you can't make with a QWERTY keyboard. It will be super effective

“I like the cover," he said. "Don't Panic. It's the first helpful or intelligible thing anybody's said to me all day.”

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2014, 05:51:31 am »
+1
Looks like a good start on making the whole thing more playable, more fun and more interesting for all the nonrange players as well.

----
@San

My thoughts are like this.

As HA I want to be a serious threat to the very lightly armed, as well as to lightly armoured horses. I want to be a moderate threat to the moderatly armed and I want to have to resort to a side arm or ramming against the highly armoured.

The change to the tartar looks like it's the money so bravo for that one. I'll tool around with it post change and give you some feed back, bow for bow.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:56:48 am by FRANK_THE_TANK »
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2014, 07:28:30 am »
+1
I have an issue with the damage cap, but it's probably easiest to convince Tydeus, or I'll have to make a long-winded thread for others to vote on which will take a while.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2014, 10:25:23 am »

(click to show/hide)

Thank you for the well -thought out post.  Reading an intelligent discussion rather than some guy's "gut feel" for archery based mostly on a day of trying different bows is such a welcome relief and promotes an actual intelligent discussion on the accurate situation we are placed in.

I would like to propose two different possibilities.

First,  make the lower tier bows near same damage with high-tier but with MUCH worse accuracy - basically the strings are not as strong and so the arrows don't fly as true.  Long range shots would just be a waste of ammo usually unless shooting into a crowd.  The reason why do it this way is that 1) varying the damage too much among the various bows creates  a lot more possibilities for broken min-max builds and imbalances and 2) shoot speed has a lot of secondary side-effects that wreck the usability of bows or create unforeseen side-effects (decreased damage, massively increased drop in arrows so arc effects, lobbing over shield walls etc.) (also why when last time shoot speed was heavily nerfed it was reverted back rather quickly and many of the low -tier bows were actually given increased shoot speed later to actually make them viable). 

The effect of this would be for low tier bows a lot of close to mid range shots using strong intuition of opponents' movements and a primary purpose of crowd control (shooting into massed up groups), whereas the higher tier bows would do slightly more damage, mostly due to higher powerdraw and serve their role as long range firing but with 2 slots being limited in either ammo or melee weapon, requiring a stronger focus on dedicated archer build.  (Think of longbow as a strong wood and sinew weapon that shoots the arrows straighter and more true to aim).  But the higher accuracy also comes with slower draw speed (and i would also consider changing weights of bows to make the biggest bows closer to flamberge weight further reducing kiting - you are serving as an accurate long-range high-damage weapon with limited mobility requiring stronger team support.  Kiting by low tier bow users would also be significantly reduced because the low accuracy makes single unit targetting much harder making a single  melee chaser have a much easier time dodging their arrows and therefore forcing melee combat.  Mid-tier bows would possibly be a balance between the two but with enough lower accuracy compared to longbow, rus bow, bow (the 3 two slot bows) to not become the OP weapons of choice for archers, but rather a selective class weapon like for the few remaining ha who don't need quite as much accuracy but need the slightly higher damage.

The second possibility is this.   Make lowest tier bows extremely heavy but also have the highest accuracy rankings (not as realistic as 1st possibility).  They would be the go to item for high agility archers still with the highest accuracy with these bows providing a good use of wpf allowing the headshots needed for extra damage, but between the weight of ammo and the bow their hyper mobility will be significantly reduced.  The high strength archers would still use the higher tier bows to make good use of their powerdraw (since would have wasted PD points with the lowest tier bows), but with the lower accuracy it would be more a high damage crowd damager as no amount of wpf would be able to counter the significantly reduced accuracy.

I prefer the 1st possibility.  But whichever way you go you need to realize roles are very important especially when it comes to how they play out on strategus.  Xbowers are the selective snipers.  Archers need at least some part of their class serve their main purpose - crowd control.  Can't emphasize this enough.  Archers main purpose is crowd control in the end as massed shield walls and masssed charges they damage and kill and break up formations, forcing greater dispersal or else guaranteeing countless hits by massed archers.  Secondary role is strong anti-ranged counter which is where having some bows with good accuracy kicks in.  Playing on battle server is only about 1/3rd of the equation when trying to understand archery's role in game - archery is an incredibly weak class in general that gains (and should gain) most of its strength in coordinated group play, ala strategus and banner stacks.

I just wanted to say, thank you san for asking questions of the community and actually listening and giving well-thought out posts.  Makes those of us in the community who still care about the game want to reply in kind.  You are a good item balancer (I wish very much you were the head one).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:28:27 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2014, 01:40:09 pm »

Kiting become a problem only after slot system was implemented. And kiting was predicted as most expected consequence of this decision even before.